Weaver T-36 scope adjustment

abbydad

My shooting requires frequent major sight adjustments - as much as 8 - 10 M.O.A. Will all this adjustment harm my T-36? Would I be better off having multiple scopes? Thanks.

I am a knob twister.

Harm the scope? NO

Wear it out? Sooner or later.

I prefer Leupold scopes, because of the 1/4 minute clicks and guarantee.

Setup the scope ring bases with the proper "look down" so the scope will center the crosshairs halfway between your max "come up".

Sounds like what you're saying is I'd be better off to get multiple scopes set up with Burris Signature rings and offset inserts to achieve sight-in at each distance rather than make major adjustments with elevation knob ........................
huh ?

Heck, no.

I shoot F class every week over distances from 300 to 1000 yards & have one scope per rifle. Depending on calibre, that's something like 25-30 MOA adjustment & my wind knob can get a hammering too. Any reputable scope will have a good degree of repeatability & will handle the adjustments. Eventually, as was said, the adjustment become suspect, rightly or wrongly, but it's likely that you'll wear out a barrel or two, or three or more before it really wears out.

I agree with John -- heck no.

But if it really gets your knickers in a twist, adjustable bases are cheaper than multiple scopes. And maybe more repeatable than scope knobs...

Looks like we're on the right track. I contacted Weaver & their techs responded ......................
partially - depends upon the scope model number
primarily - adjustments should stand up, holding clicks for long time
always - best to keep adjustments within the center of the available range - ie.: if total scope range allows 40 MOA of adjustability and you need to use a range of 12 MOA, stay between 19 - 31 available MOA to prevent stress on scope internal structure (my paraphrase). Thanks all.

There was an article in Precision Shooting in which the author demonstrated that running the windage and elevation adjustments from one extreme to the other multiple times actually improved their function.

Once, at a benchrest match, a shooter who is a skilled competitor was getting groups that were considerably larger than they should have been, and the conclusion was that it was a scope problem. I asked him if he had ever tried "exercising" his turrets, to which he replied that he had not, and asked what I meant. I explained that it meant repeatedly turning them to their limits in both directions, and then back to their original setting. He tried it, and it worked. He went on to win a yardage with the same scope. It was a 36X Weaver. I think that sometimes we create adjustment reliability problems by not running our adjustments through a larger range than is required for making the small adjustments needed to go from 100 to 200 yards, or to readjust after changing barrels.

Funny this came up as a friend and I were talking about this last night. I had just picked up a new nightforce and he told me to exercise the adjustments just short of the mechanical stops at least 15-20 times. He shoots a lot of tactical matches and apparently it's pretty common to do just that with a brand new scope.

Back