We need a rule

I believe that the poor individual was at his personal range where all the rules in the world would not have applied. These are also the settings where many of the rules that would be enforced at a club range are ignored.

The main thing that needs to be done is to create a protocol for the use of the rods. I used one Thur to remove a stuck bullet [ no powder , pretty stupid huh ]. I dropped it down the bore, plucked it out of the action and immediately placed it back in the tool box. I then looked at it again. ONLY THEN did I go back to the rifle and look for the bullet that was laying in the action somewhere.

I do think there is a potential new range command that could be used at matches. The first command could be:

"SHOOTERS! CLEAR YOUR BORE ! "

Everybody looks down their bore to verify no obstructions. If this was done before everytarget it would soon get the shooters used to doing it all the time and it would become second nature even when practicing.

Ray

Poor taste

some of the insinuation and comments this thread is alluding to are in my opinion in very poor taste.never had an accident or near miss???bull sh*t.We all need to be careful is a dangerous game dont tempt fate!:mad:

Dave,

After reading about Tink's accidentand the resulting cry for another rule in the name of saftey, and also the idea about making a rule for superfeet, i think we need a rule about the loads we use in our guns. Now, just to clairify things, Dennis is a friend of mine, i feel bad he was injured, and i hope he comes out ok with this. Also i don't like seeing the benches tore up anymore that anyone else.

With that said i think we need a rule concerning the loads we put into our 6PPC rifles. A well respected shooter (thank you) told me that the max load for our guns ia about 3100 FPS with a 68 Gr bullet. This is obtained with 27Gr of N133 powder and creates 48-50 psi. I think the two orginazations need to pass a rule making this the max load for competition, just for saftey's sake. Also, just in case an action does explode, for saftey's sake, i believe every range should have 1 inch Ar500 plate between every bench to protect the shooters on either side of the explosion.

Just my thoughts, for saftey.

Dave

this was a terrible accident but how would a reduced load in the 48-50K psi range prevented it. The result would have been the same. --Greg

Accidents are always sad, and unfortunate. To us as shooters
having enjoyed a good safety record, is really impressive.
What happened to Dennis ,will be remembered by many. In
registered competition, fellow shooters and competitors are
regularly policing themselves and it has served us well. I have no doubt
that a short brass rod would escape this scrutiny. I also have no doubt
that some day as unfortunate as it would be, something no-one ever
thought of can do the same. Who had the foresight to see this
soon enough. Thats what unfortunate is about.
I once saw a jet plane started, and the plane captain was no where
to be found. He was present, down in the air intake inspecting
the impeller blades. We simply can't account for everything when writting
new rules.
That my gun and anothers will alway develope the same pressure
with a given load is not likely. That actions are all of the same
strength , not either. And what about the guy who pushed his shoulders
back an extra 50 thou.
When we have to hook up our strain guages before inserting our bolts,
shear idealism has replaced common sense.

Easy enough to enforce the Maximum FPS rule. Just chronograph everyone. USPSA does it for every shooter at their matches, and that their matchs run from 150-300+ shooters. While they are chronographs loads, they also check the pistol/rifle out to make sure it meets all the requirements for its class.

Set up a chronograph and weight station. weigh the rifle, shoot 3 loads over the chrono, and give the rifle a quick once over to make sure it meets all the specs, as to angles, etc. Shouldn't be any problem. And, just to keep everyone honest, do random spot chono checks during the match.
Bob

I would imagine that the official match chrono-dude(s) would do the checking. Where's the problem?
Bob

As stated, this was a tongue in cheek post. I have not seen an accident at a BR match from too much powder. The ones that I have seen were from case head separation or wrong cartridge loaded and shot. A little common sense and not a chrono is needed.
Butch

Easy enough to enforce the Maximum FPS rule. Just chronograph everyone. USPSA does it for every shooter at their matches, and that their matchs run from 150-300+ shooters. While they are chronographs loads, they also check the pistol/rifle out to make sure it meets all the requirements for its class.

Set up a chronograph and weight station. weigh the rifle, shoot 3 loads over the chrono, and give the rifle a quick once over to make sure it meets all the specs, as to angles, etc. Shouldn't be any problem. And, just to keep everyone honest, do random spot chono checks during the match.
Bob

actually( and i could be wrong..it has been a while)...they check min power factor, based on bullet weight and velocity. no check for max velocity. it is not done at all matches, just some. but it is not the idea of checking velocity, it the thought that someone THINKS controlling velocity would stop ACCIDENTS.

DUH......

mike in co

Thank you Bob Kingsbury

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Butch Lambert-right on wth the tongue in cheek post.

Again, thanks Bob for the great analogy.

I am all for saftey, but the sky is falling.

Chicken Little
AKA
Dave

Accidents are always sad, and unfortunate. To us as shooters
having enjoyed a good safety record, is really impressive.
What happened to Dennis ,will be remembered by many. In
registered competition, fellow shooters and competitors are
regularly policing themselves and it has served us well. I have no doubt
that a short brass rod would escape this scrutiny. I also have no doubt
that some day as unfortunate as it would be, something no-one ever
thought of can do the same. Who had the foresight to see this
soon enough. Thats what unfortunate is about.
I once saw a jet plane started, and the plane captain was no where
to be found. He was present, down in the air intake inspecting
the impeller blades. We simply can't account for everything when writting
new rules.
That my gun and anothers will alway develope the same pressure
with a given load is not likely. That actions are all of the same
strength , not either. And what about the guy who pushed his shoulders
back an extra 50 thou.
When we have to hook up our strain guages before inserting our bolts,
shear idealism has replaced common sense.

Back