We all shoot but do we all hunt?

Who hunt & who just shoots

• Total voters
I just finished a yearly moose hunt. Three of us go for 10 days. We enjoy it so much the next years hunt is already planned and we are looking forward to it. We stay in a cabin that sleeps 6, has a fridge, stove, shower, etc... pretty comfortable. Even when we don't shoot a moose we have a great time. 10 days with no TV, radio, etc. We shoot some grouse and catch a few fish for supper and enjoy the remote country and fresh air and great meals we put together.

A few of our hunting pictures...

At our cabin
bee-0.jpg

Close to our camp
butterfly2-0.jpg

Cheslatta River
cheslattabridge1-0.jpg

Kenny Dam 2 miles from camp (I had won a local photo contest and a flight of the area was my prize)
This dam is one of the largest rock dams and holds back hundreds of miles of lakes that are now inter-joined.
It changed the water flow for a huge hydro project back in the 60's. No water flows out this way any longer.
kennydam3-0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was never a real avid hunter. I hunted some, it wasn't a huge deal to me. Then after I got involved in shooting more, I guess I wanted to be interested, so I invested some time and effort to it. It was a very short time till I found that "Hunting" really was now just "Shooting". I had match guns that were so accurate, hunting wasn't really the right term any more. Let's face it, if you take a match rifle to hunt with, you put the crosshairs on the target and pull the trigger... Hunting season is over. If you decide to add some challenge to this, you need to move so far back that eventually, you are at a point where you have no energy left and need a bigger rifle to get even farther away. Otherwise, it's still just "shooting". Again, I found no interest in this so I stopped. Thankfully, before I built an expensive, purpose build long range "hunting" gun.

Eventually, I found hunting with a camera more rewarding than hunting with a rifle. Now, I'm not some treehugger who's looking to change the world or save the whales. If you like to hunt, more power to ya. Go blast em. I simply lost interest when I owned rifles with such accuracy potential as to take all the suspense out of the hunt. I guess I found hunting more fun when the possibility existed that I might miss. And I don't care to build rifles with enough energy for distances where I might.

I started shooting when I was three years old and haven't stopped yet, took my first Buck when I was 9 years old followed two weeks later with my first elk, haven't missed a season since. In 1996 I helped my uncle Norm kill his last buck just above my house, in 2004 I helped my uncle Ken get his last buck,had to get to work so my wife helped him dress it out, in 2010 on opening day I helped my cousin get his last buck just above the house, it was his birthday and it was a great day. Two weeks ago I helped my 78 year old Dad get his elk and am looking forward to thanksgiving so I can help him get his mountain white tail buck up in the mountains on our summer cattle range if the snow isn't to deep, he has never lost his love of this ranch, hunting or the outdoors in general and I hope I never do either, when I am not hunting I shoot at my own range here at the ranch and I compete in Missoula Montana in 1K bench rest, plan on some 6ppc competition this winter here locally. As far as I am concerned as long as your using a firearm for hunting, competition, recreational plinking it's a good thing:)
Wayne.

Jackie, Don't let us down by not putting that SWEET 721 to good use...... But I know business is business.

Roger, my Son, who lives up in Jasper, (and can hunt out his back door), has it right now. I loaded him up 20 rounds, and she is sighted for dead on at 200 yards.

My biggest problem will be getting it back.:D

ok but where does vegitarian and non hunting come together....i eat more meat than i should, ski when i can...tho at 62 i'm a beginer.....( feel the need, the need for speed...on the slopes).
and even wilbur noticed the possible conotation of the statement.

mike in co

where does vegitarian and non hunting come together.Easy! Well easy for me. For me shooting and hunting go hand in hand, always have, always will. Like peaches and cream, and biscuits and gravy. If all that you do is punch paper and shoot clays half the potential enjoyment from gun ownership and usage is being missed out on. From a simplistic POV Guns are not single purpose items of manufacture, they have always been multi functional tools.
The same applies to vegetarianism. Man is an omnivore, evolution has made him such. there by making the consumption of meat part of our naturally evolved diet. So we're back to biscuits and gravy.

As I said for me incomprehensible choices. For some life is black and white, for others its multiple shades of gray.

Forgot to say I'm an avid hunter, but the real enjoyment is the experience and out of doors. I love being with friends and family around the campfire. Love the same old BS stories and the camaraderie.
Butch

Butch

I've always felt that there's a lot more to hunting than just pulling the trigger. Enjoyment of and respect for mother nature, watching the dogs work, helping friends, what you shoot tastes good. the list is pretty much endless. That's why I'd always opt for a hunting trip than a trip to a match. Both are fun but hunting just floats a bigger and better boat for me.

Mike in co goes out of his way to make sure that it happen's that way so that it causes the most controversy possible....it's what makes him happy apparently

LOL

Tolerance, tolerance....................:rolleyes:

I just finished a yearly moose hunt. Three of us go for 10 days. We enjoy it so much the next years hunt is already planned and we are looking forward to it. We stay in a cabin that sleeps 6, has a fridge, stove, shower, etc... pretty comfortable. Even when we don't shoot a moose we have a great time. 10 days with no TV, radio, etc. We shoot some grouse and catch a few fish for supper and enjoy the remote country and fresh air and great meals we put together.

A few of our hunting pictures...

At our cabin
bee-0.jpg

Close to our camp
butterfly2-0.jpg

Cheslatta River
cheslattabridge1-0.jpg

Kenny Dam 2 miles from camp (I had won a local photo contest and a flight of the area was my prize)
This dam is one of the largest rock dams and holds back hundreds of miles of lakes that are now inter-joined.
It changed the water flow for a huge hydro project back in the 60's. No water flows out this way any longer.
kennydam3-0.jpg

Sure looks like good country you have there Dennis.

i missed the inflection in your voice when you said that....
and i would never infer that wilbur was dumb......
and i think he still does not get it.....

mike in co
Didn't expect a response....I was pokin' fun at you for the inference that it was so very obvious that even dumb ol' Wilbur recognized it.

I kill a bull elk every other year and a white tail buck every year plus i love to hunt chukars.And now i get to kill a WOLF every year.

Too much hassle. Hunting is simply too darned much work. It has been years since I have though.

We are so busy at this time, I don't even have time to shoot.

Really busy. No time to play. And then what? You die.

In November 2001, almost exactly 10 years ago, I was sitting on my family room couch studying my cancer data, trying to decide on a course of treatment, wondering if I needed a 5 year plan. I can tell you I was really glad I hadn't waited till then to start living. I'd already done more than some have on their last day, and I was surprised at how glad I was about that. But I decided right there and then, that if I did need a 5 year plan, Boeing wasn't in it more than the next three years. It turned out I needed at least a 10 year plan, and I'll find out shortly if the latest radiation treatment did any good. Who knows, I might need to plan for another 10 years of retirement - I'd love it if that happens. I retired in 2004 at the age of 62 and haven't looked back.

I hunt a lot, probably close to 50% of the days the weather is good for hunting in the summer (I ride horses and play doing other things the other 50% of the time). I shot 40 ground hogs this last summer at ranges from 15 to 280 yards with a variety of rifles (.17HNMR, .22 Hornet, .223, .22-250, .243, and even my .30-06 when one showed up while I was checking the scope zero out back on my sister's farm). I probably spent 2 or 3 hours hunting for every ground hog I killed. Enjoyed the heck out of every minute. Hunting is not just shooting, hunting is everything from planning the trip to returning home, which might include a shot, or not. I spent 18 hours in the field during the 3 days of senior deer season. Didn't see any big enough to shoot, but even sitting there watching the little deer play in the hay field is hunting. I watched a couple of foxes run by, heard but didn't see a coyote. Smelled the early morning in the woods, watched the sun set and evening come down.

I had my cell phone with me, but it was turned off.

I don't shoot ground hog matches anymore for a lot of reasons, one of which is hunting is way more fun for me.

Fitch

Way to go Fitch. A hunter after my own heart.

Hunting is not just shooting, hunting is everything from planning the trip to returning home, which might include a shot, or not.

Those that say hunting is too easy. Just don't get it do they. And we all know the name of the hunter who claims he that never misses don't we? Billy Mendax. :p

Best of luck with that up and coming call. Best start on that next 10 year plan.

I've been out deer hunting this evening as we've had 2 days of wet weather and today was dry and warmish. So I figured they would be out and about drying off and feeding in the sunny spots. I got into my chosen high seat around 2-30 got comfy and waited for the world to roll on by. Saw a good number of does and a decent sized buck. But I was after a spiker as I have a freezer order to fill.
The rain clouds started to build around 4-30. But as I'm not far from home I decided to wait it out and if I got wet it wouldn't be for that long. Saw a dog fox working along the bottom of a bank across the glade I was in and was having serious thoughts about ending his fun, when a youngish buck stepped down the bank to my right and stood in the trees looking down the bank. So Mr Fox got to live another day. The only problem was the buck decided to keep moving to my right which meant I had to swivel around as far as I could in the high seat to keep him in view, he kept moving , I kept twisting until it was do it or loose him. So I gave a whistle and he stopped half way between a couple of brash piles. Leaving me just enough room to plant one in his ear. Maximum yield that way. The rain started with those big fat rain drops just as I got back to the truck. Mr Fox will get some easy picking tonight and I've got the buck on the hook in the chiller.

Hunting is not just shooting, hunting is everything from planning the trip to returning home, which might include a shot, or not. Didn't see any big enough to shoot, but even sitting there watching the little deer play in the hay field is hunting. I watched a couple of foxes run by, heard but didn't see a coyote. Smelled the early morning in the woods, watched the sun set and evening come down.

Fitch

Yeah buddy, everything you said and other things I'd like to add. Quality time with my kids, brother or brother in law. Planning menus and eating.. Taking naps in the middle of the day cause you can.. Having fun..... For the most part with big game, the work starts when the animal is down..

Hunting to me is "Quality Time" with those whose company I really enjoy!!!

Rod

Hunting was not handed down in my family, my dad took me as a kid deer hunting and upon shooting my first buck I saw the sadness in his eyes, for the loss of life. I seemed to pick up the urge to hunting out of the blue, same with fishing. I live in Northern Wyoming and could not imagine life without the ability to hunt. It is my greatest enjoyment in the off time and I love to target shoot as well. Ron Tilley

Back