WBC10 South Africa 2009

S

SNN

I was wondering why the WBC10 is being held in June, mid winter. I have just checked the Weather-24.com and it shows mean June temperature for Pretoria as 12.8 C (55 F). If I remember correctly WBC9 2007 Austria was held in August and WBC8 2005 at Kelbly's was September so it appears no set month is engraved in stone.
It will be difficult for some countries to raise the necessary numbers to make up teams due to cost and lack of attraction for partners doing the tourist bit if it will be cold.
Stephen (from a cold, wet and windy UK)

Go South

I beg to offer an alternate viewpoint. Having just shot this weekend in Seymour, Texas (106 F. in the shade) I vote we move the world match to Antarctica and keep the date the same. Tim

I beg to offer an alternate viewpoint. Having just shot this weekend in Seymour, Texas (106 F. in the shade) I vote we move the world match to Antarctica and keep the date the same. Tim

I can agree with that sentiment Tim. Remember Brisbane in 1995? Stinking hot, 90% humidity - I thought the Finns were going to melt. 2001 in New Zealand was cool and rainy.

What the hell, I'll take a cooler shoot anytime before a hot one.

Cheers

Brendan Atkinson

Wbc10

There are many reasons why the date of June was selected for the WBC 10, but the main considerations not to host it in the Summer months was the fact that the Summer months are far to hot, and we experience our rainy season that is accompanied with lightening and thunderstorms.
Early mornings are crisp with comfortable afternoon temperatures.
Roland Thomsen.

Back