WBC10 and Powder

B

Big Man

I heard a rumour that there will be no N133 or any other powder but local S335 available in South Africa for WBC10... any truth in this??

That's also what we have heard.
Shipment of N133 from Finland to S.A. Horribly expensive.

Unfortenally this is a fact.........

The southafricans have tryed every possible way to get N-133 for the WBC10 but since the shipping route for the powder is all around the world (more or less) before it comes to RSA the cost will be extreme:(

The guys down in RSA are really unhappy about this fact but they cant do much about it.......

if my 2 year old memory serves me correctly

they use a military type powder at their range and do shoot some teen aggs, also the powder in question has a slightly larger tune window than vv133. This was in discussion at our hotel in Vienna at the last competition one night after practice, nice chaps. This will be one well run shoot.

If the slightly larger tune window is correct it will be interesting to here the usual "my load blew up" comments,

if competitors have concerns they can go preloaded with spare brass based on the airline weight limit,

Jefferson
Canadian Team Leader

may i suggest some 300 win mags for 100 yds with n133 preloaded.
of course once you get there maybe go with 6ppc .
disassemble the 300 win mag, assemble 6ppc......
maybe consider shipping extra ammo ahead ?

just something to consider( like loading the 300 wm so long it will not chamber, for safety).

mike in co

may i suggest some 300 win mags for 100 yds with n133 preloaded.
of course once you get there maybe go with 6ppc .
disassemble the 300 win mag, assemble 6ppc......
maybe consider shipping extra ammo ahead ?

just something to consider( like loading the 300 wm so long it will not chamber, for safety).

mike in co

why not 50 BMG would not take very many to make a pound

One more little fact is that the ammo you take has to fit the rifle you take!! And your only allowed 11 pounds of ammo. The barrel has to be stamped with the same caliber as the casehead. I've been scheming on this deal for 6 months. Don

One more little fact is that the ammo you take has to fit the rifle you take!! And your only allowed 11 pounds of ammo. The barrel has to be stamped with the same caliber as the casehead. I've been scheming on this deal for 6 months. Don

I have mostly used S335 (South African powder) before, and have been using N133 the past year. Very, very similar in my opinion. Nothing to worry about. ;)

If the barrel has to be stamped with the same caliber as the case head than then Lapua brass couldn't be used as it is stamped 220 russian. This can't be right.

Some competitors....

I know that some competitors are stamping .220 Russian/6mmPPC on their barrels. I don't know if this is sufficient to get them by or not. Good shooting...James

can you only take one rifle ?
11 lbs of ammo, can one mail components ? or no restrictions on components.
i aint going, but seems that there may be a way thru this.

and no 50 bmg is not much of a 100/200 yd round. the shipping costs of that big of a rifle would not help much, plus weather it is legal in the country ?

yes lots of big rounds, but almost 3:1 for powder from 300wm to 6ppc.

mike in co

Gents there seems to be some misunderstanding regarding the WBC 10 speak to you team captains they have been briefed on what will be available and what is required on arrival in South Africa.
You will need an invitation that includes your passport number preferably a pre-approved e520 firearm temporary import /export permit this permit will have your rifles serial number, you will also need to provide proof of ownership for example a bill of sale or you license to posses the firearm you intend to bring into the country.
Should a WBC 10 competitor wish to bring along 400 pre loaded rounds this should be indicated on the e520 application.
Regarding the 220 Russian head stamp on the brass our authorities are aware that we shoot either a 6mm or 22 PPC using the 220 Russian brass.
We have recently imported the 205 Federal small rifle gold medal match primers and revered 150 000 for the WBC10.
We have also reserved 300 kg of S335 propellant lot number 684 for the event

Gents there seems to be some misunderstanding regarding the WBC 10 speak to you team captains they have been briefed on what will be available and what is required on arrival in South Africa.
You will need an invitation that includes your passport number preferably a pre-approved e520 firearm temporary import /export permit this permit will have your rifles serial number, you will also need to provide proof of ownership for example a bill of sale or you license to posses the firearm you intend to bring into the country.
Should a WBC 10 competitor wish to bring along 400 pre loaded rounds this should be indicated on the e520 application.
Regarding the 220 Russian head stamp on the brass our authorities are aware that we shoot either a 6mm or 22 PPC using the 220 Russian brass.
We have recently imported the 205 Federal small rifle gold medal match primers and revered 150 000 for the WBC10.
We have also reserved 300 kg of S335 propellant lot number 684 for the event

What if I intend using my old .303?? :D:D

Looking forward to see you soon! ;)

Roland,

You post mentions 400 rounds, but the regulatuions on the SAPS website states 200 rounds per firearm.

Is there something else we need to understand in this regard?

I also understand that your S335 is slightly slower than 133, but still very competitive in the PPC in your climate.

Thanks.

Joe Krupa

Joe,
The standard for the occasional hunter /sport shooter is 200 rounds as you have mentioned, we have informed CFR of our predicament regarding the N133they have the authority to approve 400 rounds for special events like the WBC 10.
Our S335 lot 684 chronographs a 68 grain B/Tat about 3250 -3275 in a four grove barrel loaded with 29 grains it is capable of shooting teen aggs.

Regards
Roland.

Joe,
The standard for the occasional hunter /sport shooter is 200 rounds as you have mentioned, we have informed CFR of our predicament regarding the N133they have the authority to approve 400 rounds for special events like the WBC 10.
Our S335 lot 684 chronographs a 68 grain B/Tat about 3250 -3275 in a four grove barrel loaded with 29 grains it is capable of shooting teen aggs.

Regards
Roland.

Roland, I assume those figures are based on the "steekers"... :D:D

Seriously, Joe, as mentioned earlier I have been using S335 before, but now uses vv133. Now, I am no expert, and I am shooting with different equipment, rifle, etc than before... My gut-feel is that I'm using about 0.3 - 0.5 grain less powder with the vv133 than with S335, to get the same sort of velocities/performance. I have not had the opportunity to test this, and is purely my feeling. I might be completely wrong.. :eek:

Having been to a few WBC's as a member of the Australian Team, I have found that tuning up one's rifle with the available powder is all part of the fun and enjoyment of the event.

One of our team members for the upcoming WBC has been working in South Africa for the past year, and has assured us that there is nothing wrong with the local powder - in fact he placed second outright in their recent National Championships.

So...let's go there with an open mind, and not concern ourselves with smuggling in small lots of "secret herbs and spices". The organisers have done everything possible to organise some Vit, and it ain't going to happen.
Not their fault.

Cheers

Brendan Atkinson

Back