Walther .22 single shot identification help

Hi gang:

I need infornation about a rifle that is for sale at my local gun store. It is marked Walther and here are some other details about it.

The barrel is stepped halfway down its length and is about 27"long.

It has an aftermarket Bishop stock fitted to it that is nice but has a few nicks in the finish.

It has a Nickel 3-9 scope on it that was imported by Contential Arms in N.Y. The scope is very opaque when one loooks through it.

It has a replacement saftey to clear the scope.

It has a 2 stage trigger.

It has a nilitary blade front sight.

It has a sliding rear sight marked in metres that works backwards. It is a long leaf 03A1 looking thing mounted on the barrel

It has a single rear locking lug opposite the bolt handle.

It has a Mauser 98 style bolt release on the left side.

It needs cleaned very badly as it is showing its age.

Any thought as to how much I should pay for this rifle and what model is it? The store owner thought that it should go for about $125.00. Are this actions any good to use for a project gun?

Sincerely,

Zeke

Hello, from the Mauser type bolt release, the rifle sounds like it might be a DSM34. Is it stamped "Sportmodell" on the right rear side of the receiver? Does the bolt have the Mauser type non-rotating claw extractor?

Tanks to Jon Kelly

Hi John:

You got it right! That it iekes the model.

Now the question is, what is the value since the gun was altered?

Is this a good action to build on or it a piece of poor quality military junk supplied by the lowest bidder?

Thanks for the help,

Zeke

Why is this action a poor choice for a proect?

Why do you say that this riaction would not make a good platform for a project? Have you shot one? Is the action too "sloppy" for an accuraqte rifle? The two stage trigger is not a problem as I have a target rifle that has one and it is ust fine. I also have a new Shilen barrel that I could have mounted and I have several great banks that would make great stocks.

In any case who would you srggest that I should get to hang a barrel on it?

TIA

Zeke

Dietsville

I would like to know how you formed your negative opinions regarding the above rifle. Have you had first hand experience withe this rifle? Have you ever seen on shoot? Have you ever seen one?

I would also like to know what in your opinion makes the unwworthy to rebarrel or use as is.

I know that there are many better actions to build a "custom" gun upon but that is not what I asked.

Sincerely,

Zeke

Fred:

No, you have not offended me! I asked the question to determine if anybody had any experience with this rifle. i would not attempt to make a BR gun out of a military action! I just wanted to know what other people knew about this action.

I was thinking along the lines of a nice looking fun gun that was more accurate than say a CZ American. I just like to asseble nice looking guns that are functionas and good looking. I have done this to cf rifles and shotguns and now was thinking about doing the same thing with the Walther.

Since I already have the barrel and the wood, I thought that it would be a fun project. This gun is not much more than the Romainian sp?, training rifles thatwere sweeping the country a few years ago and this action looks much better!

Sincerely,

Zeke

Walther

Zeke,

Didn't you ask for input/opinons? I have to agree with Fred on this.
I have one (Walther), I shoot it at pests out back and it would be the last rifle I'd try to rebuild. You may have a "target" rifle with a two stage trigger and you may think you can judge any other two stage trigger from yours but you can't, not even close. The trigger was made to feel as a military trigger, not a match rifle.
TMK there are no replacements.
However, people do a lot of things in a different manor and for different reasons. If you think it will go, do it.

bjm

I have a Walther KKM that I purchased from Pilkington's several years ago. Where and how he got it I don't know? There are NO import marks. I shoot this rifle in matches every Friday. Sometimes I put a 6X power scope on it and shoot it in two classes. It groups very well at 100 yards with the original iron sights. The rear aperture is not original, but I have the original aperature.
I have all the paperwork from when this rifle was purchased new in 1962 in Germany. It also came with the original hickory stick cleaning rod and canvas gun case. It came with several medals and citations from matches won by the original owner in Germany. I can't read German so exactly what kind of matches won is a mystery to me. It's a sweet shooting rifle and the trigger is a very crisp and extremely light two stage.
Some lucky soul will be the next caretaker of this fine rifle when I pass. I hope he/she enjoys it as much as I do.

wal1.jpg

wal2.jpg

wal3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back