Very tight primer pocket's

REMY

Hi , i am latly experiencing tight primer pockets , some are so tight that i can hardly prime them and on one case could not completly prime it , cal. is a 30BR and i resize every time and i dont think my load is too hot ,around 34 gns of 130 , casses have about 15 firing's, should i just dicard the casses and get new brass .Like to know your finding's with this type of problem and why this tends to happen .

Thank's , Remy:)

Hi , i am latly experiencing tight primer pockets , some are so tight that i can hardly prime them and on one case could not completly prime it , cal. is a 30BR and i resize every time and i dont think my load is too hot ,around 34 gns of 130 , casses have about 15 firing's, should i just dicard the casses and get new brass .Like to know your finding's with this type of problem and why this tends to happen .

I have heard of some Lapua cases that had a manufacturing defect such that the bases were slightly concave. Repeat firings resulted in the primer pockets tightening up. If you have any new brass of the same lot, examine the bases with a straight edge and magnification to see if they are flat.

Remy, I would try some primers from a different lot, just to eliminate that possibility.

Dick

I have heard of some Lapua cases that had a manufacturing defect such that the bases were slightly concave. Repeat firings resulted in the primer pockets tightening up. If you have any new brass of the same lot, examine the bases with a straight edge and magnification to see if they are flat.

Scott is right on....I have had several hundred cases that the bases were concave, they will tighten up the primer pockets really quick. None of these cases really shot consistantly. a primer pocket reamer will help but is a PIA in my opinion.

Hovis

HI Guys ,the brass i use is lapua, fireform the 6BR like almost everyone does and they all have been unified by the sinclair tool , although not all the casses are the same, there are maybe a 6 or 7 casses out of 50 ,the primers do go up at the start, about half way up they start to feel realy tight while having to apply a lot of force to seat them and loosing complete feel in seating.

Can't tell from the discussion but will ask some questions anyway. Do those difficult cases cause an accuracy problem? Are the cases from the same lot? Do the difficult cases extract normally - extract similar to the easier to prime cases? Are you certain that you cut the primer pockets the same on the difficult cases?

Have to ask this stuff but if you did all that then you've got a real problem. There's simply no reason that cases from the same lot act differently when treated the same - except for a case problem. Said better, the cases you have act differently when treated the same - not good. There will (and should) be slight differences along the way but not the differences you mention.

One after thought....are you shooting the same load along the way or know that isn't the problem?

Wilber , my casses have been treated the same as best as i can do and they are from the same lot , however i do vary my load and when needed i will try a different overall lenght, and yes i do on ocasions have the unexplained flyer which i usaly attribute to the shooter ,i think im going to get new brass which looks to be the simply cure for the problem. .

Very tight primer pockets

Ive' had a different problem with the lapua blue box cases
More then one box had cases with concave bases, The result was misfires.

This probably isn't the problem and I didn't see where you told us what kind of seating tool you are using. But, that being said, check to see if the grooves in your shell holder are clean. Sometimes a kernal of powder or sludge will get into the back of the groove and won't allow the case to become centered. It seems to make the primer pocket too tight when in reality it just can't move into the proper position.

Rick

I have a KM and Sinclair priming tool and been using the KM for the 30BR and the Sinclair for a 6PPc so i changed over the shell holder and tryed seating with the Sinclair ,it is a stronger tool and seating went far better and now i got the feel back , but still some do feel a lot harder to seat then other's ,i also deprime with a decape die and when i decape i can feel the same thing some are harder to push out then other's.
Remy

I went out and bought a bunch of extra cases hoping to get some of those tight, concave or convex or whatever ones..... if anyone has junkie tight primer cases they're sick of I'll buy them!

al

try WW primers ,,they are a little smaller,,,00000001" haha,,,,I use them at first when the pockets are still tight and then normally Fed 205's and then as they swell/loosen up I go to Rem 7 1/2's....Roger

Back