Varget stinks

F

ForneyRider

I mdade some rounds for a buddy in 8x57. Used Varget and 150gr Sierra Pro Hunters.

He said it stinks. The ammo was great but it powder smells was pretty bad. Is this common with all ADI powders?

Is it the green coating?

It smells great in the morning ... and even better in the early afternoon when you have a nice mild wind blowing in your face and you get two nostrils full. ;)

If I have talked to 1 person about varget I have talked to 100 and non of them have ever said that varget stinks.

The hotter you load it the better it smells.If you ever shoot subsonic loads using Trail Boss it really smells terrible.
Waterboy

My buddy who's a big IMR fan says Varget stinks. I think all the Extreme line has that smell somewhat.
If it works I could care less about the specific odor. I've never smelt a burnt powder I did'nt like:D

Asa

I'll take your word for it. Gave away all my rimfires.

Haven't used a front stuffer for a year or three, but I recall that black tended to be less than dainty, nose wise. :eek:

Only noticed it once

I load Varget in 6BR and 308 and only had a "funny" smell from one load. It's the same load that pierced a primer. I'm thinking that might have had a lot to do with it! Otherwise I've never found it to smell bad. Try some old FFF or FFFF in a flintlock if you want stink!

I knew if I waited long enough someone would think up something wrong with this powder. The wait is over and I can go back to shooting my kegs full of Varget with complete knowledge that there is something wrong with this powder I have never been able to detect.:D

Varget

Went to the local range this morning with my 17 loaded with Varget. I love the smell of freshly fired Varget in the moring. :D
Pete

varget stinks?

i sprinkle a little behind my ears in the morning!

You boys are going to have to beat the Women off with sticks, now.

Back