Unregistered Matches v. Registered Matches

I didn’t shoot particularly well that weekend, Hunter, but I left the range on Sunday afternoon knowing I had done my best with what I had. The other guys shot better and that’s fine too. I had a good time and that’s important. It’s all a learning experience.

some people just like to shoot
I shot club score for years same guys different winners in all but the
single "benchrest" class. that was one of three on most months.
but
it was
cheap TWO DOLLARS per class
fast per class, 10 or 20 shots in just one or two sittings
fun

I'm with you

some people just like to shoot
I shot club score for years same guys different winners in all but the
single "benchrest" class. that was one of three on most months.
but
it was
cheap TWO DOLLARS per class
fast per class, 10 or 20 shots in just one or two sittings
fun

i love to shoot. I get just as much enjoyment out of going to a club .22 RF 100 or 200 yard shoot and exercising a 52 or 37 as I do at CF IBS shoots. I just try to shoot the best I can, the results aren't important other than showing me the I or my equipment or technique needs massaging. I like the people who compete, the early suppers next to the four foot fireplace at the whales tooth pub, the stops at Liberty Tool, etc. Whats not to like about a rifle match??

Having read the above posts and talked with and emailed several shooters outside the forum, I’ve got new insight on the subject of post #1, as discussed below.

As for score shooters in my general part of the country: first, there appears to be a match most every weekend during the shooting season that is within “reasonable” driving distances and many of the shooters may not have much time (or motivation) left for shooting unregistered matches; second, the points chase is a BIG draw, even for those shooters who don’t have a realistic chance of winning SOY; and third, they are like “family and it’s like having a family reunion most every weekend.

As for group shooters in my general part of the country, the only things I can see are: one, they don't trust their fellow shooters with the absence of a moving backer; and two registered matches just create more "buzz" than do club matches -- for example, the opportunity to: (a) shoot with several (or many) celebrity-type shooters; (b) enjoy the "family reunion" aspect mentioned above; and (c) be part of a "happening."

For now, I'm thinking I may have answered my question; however, feel free to share other ideas.

Last edited:
Registered vs Unregistered?

Look at the names of competitors at the recently held Cactus.Some on that list shoot regularly at local Club matches. Some have their own private ranges. Others shoot at ranges close by.

What I take from seeing this cactus match report is, just because you play Golf with Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson doesn’t make you a better golfer. The limiting factor in Benchrest is a place to shoot.

Registered or unregistered, the key to skill development is trigger time. Get it anywhere you can. A true Benchrest competitor understands that its he/she against the elements.

Glenn

The limiting factor in Benchrest is a place to shoot.

Part of what prompted this thread is that I know of one club, near a major population area, that has a LOT of members and holds club-type BR matches most months; however, the average attendance is very small.

It seems as though the concept of, "If you [hold] it, [they] will come" does not apply to club-type BR matches.

Part of what prompted this thread is that I know of one club, near a major population area, that has a LOT of members and holds club-type BR matches most months; however, the average attendance is very small.

It seems as though the concept of, "If you [hold] it, [they] will come" does not apply to club-type BR matches.

I didn't read all the previous responses(suggestions). Do you think a change in venue, group,score. poker chips etc.
would have an impact on attendance. What do the local accuracy buffs around your area like? Score is most popular around this area.

Glenn

It boils down to how much money you intend to spend on Benchrest shooting. Doesn't matter how much money you have available but rather how much you intend to spend. It takes quite a bit of money to stay competitive while not so much just to shoot bullets through a piece of paper.

Dang Wilbur, you always cut right to the point and make it dead simple.
I don't think it can be said much better.

Joe Hynes

It boils down to how much money you intend to spend on Benchrest shooting. Doesn't matter how much money you have available but rather how much you intend to spend. It takes quite a bit of money to stay competitive while not so much just to shoot bullets through a piece of paper.

I didn't intend to spend this much Wilbur... Lucky to have any left over to buy used patches after race car upgrades for this season.

Later
Dave

It boils down to how much money you intend to spend on Benchrest shooting.

Wilbur, that doesn't seem to address the subject of post # 1 -- in other words, other than my thoughts at post # 24 above, why do folks want to spend more money to shoot registered matches than unregistered matches?

Cheater's are the reason

Of which there is 2 classes.

Class 1. They lie to your face and cheat.

Class 2. They climb a tree and lie to you and cheat.

Dave, we tried designing battery powered shot counters to affix to the target frames, to address the issue of

"cheaters" during proposed unregistered group shoots at a local club. I believe the shot counter idea is still a work in progress. It could be a deterrent to the dishonest.

Several years back,Speedy Gonzales tried running an unregistered, group shoot, at a local private club. Attendance gradually waned when an unusual amount of teen aggs were posted by average shooters.:D

Speedy himself actually, witnessed the perpetrators, by using a spotting scope.

Glenn

Last edited:
Back