Turret Press

T

Twud

I would like to measure my rounds right after I seat the bullet. I was thinking of buying one of Sinclairs instant measuring tool and setting 1 up next to the other. Are turrets consistent from station to station? Is this a stupid idea?

I would like to measure my rounds right after I seat the bullet. I was thinking of buying one of Sinclairs instant measuring tool and setting 1 up next to the other. Are turrets consistent from station to station? Is this a stupid idea?

If the Sinclair works the same as any other comparitor then the turret has little to do with it as long as it isn't changed once the die is set. You load your first round and measure it normally with a hand micrometer. If you are satisfied with it, then you place it in the comparitor and zero the gauge with that round. All subsequent rounds are then placed in the comparitor for quick and easy measurement. Not a stupid idea at all. If you are measuring each round, it is a must.

Hope this helps

Twud,

I use a Redding T-7 with turrets set up for each of the three calibers that I reload. This allows for a one time setup for each die.

The sequence as used of dies (Redding except as indicated) is as follows:

1. Decapping die
2. Body die
3. Instant Indicator setup to check cartridge headspace length ("bump")
4. Competition bushing neck die
5. Competition seating die
6. Instant Indicator setup to measure seated bullet length
7. Sinclair neck expander (used in initial case prep only)

The instant indicators are great comparators with excellent repeatability as long as you leave them setup and use the same shell holder every time. They will even work nearly as repeatability out of a press but you don't want to do that.

Others on these forums will have different die preferences and methods (particularly the short range Benchrest folks - score and group that load at the range). However I prefer to pre-load in the shop and this method has evolved over many years of reloading and shooting and to date works best for me.

Fred,

Could you post a picture of the "instant indicator" that checks headspace. I'm curious as to how that works.
Don

Redding Instant Indicator

Don,

A simplified explanation of the seating and headspace functions follows:

The attached picture shows the cut-a-way set up as used to check seating depth. The bushing ID is the ID of the lands (bore diameter).

To check head space length of a fire formed case or the "bumped length" you substitute the black plug with the open end toward the case. The case neck will go into the plug and the case will engage the sliding sleeve at the "headspace datum" which is the diameter of the bottom opening of the sleeve.

For a more detailed and complete description of the available functions see the attach article by Rick Jamison.

Attachments

• ReddingInstInd-SD.png
    ReddingInstInd-SD.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 210
  • RickJamisonReddingInstInd.pdf
    225.4 KB · Views: 2,607
Instant Indicator

Could you post a picture of the "instant indicator" that checks headspace. I'm curious as to how that works.
Don

Don:

The Redding Instant Indicator is a great tool to have on each chambering you have. You can probably see a picture of the indicator die and dial on the Redding site. Probably on the Sinclair, Midway etc. sites as well.

Favor center,
Jim Hardy

See attachments to Fred's post above.

Last edited:
Thank you Fred & Jim for a quick and informative reply.
I am shooting both a 220 and 6mm Beggs. It looks like Redding only makes the indicator in a few cartridge specific sizes. Would the 6mmPPC work with the neck bushings from my sizing dies?

Redding Instant Indicator for 220 and 6mm Beggs

Don,

For the purposes of using it for a case length or bullet seating comparator as previously discussed you could probably use the Redding 6ppc model. That probably comes with a 0.237 bushing for the bullet seating setup. You will need to also buy a 0.219 bushing for the 220 Beggs. Note that if you have barrels with tight bores (0.236, 0.218) you may want to use matching sizes of bushings for bullet seating. The setup gauge for the 6ppc (looks like a brass go gauge) will not be useful for either the 220 or 6mm Beggs.

The better answer would be to contact Redding and they would probably work with you to provide a customized Instant Indicator for both the 220 and 6mm Beggs. Expect a long wait and serious cost though.

Thanks Fred. Good information. It was worth a try, but I think I'll stick to using calipers and a shoulder plug.
Hope you are enjoying the holidays.
Don

Back