Tuning question

K

KEN HARPER

I've always been under the impression that once you have your tuner at a position where you can put all the bullets in the same hole that you've got it. Apparently this is NOT the case. I think we have all experienced shooting a three shot group into one hole on a sighter only to have the next shot on the record bull go into the 25 ring or worse. I decided to try and eliminate this problem by doing some extensive tuning. After about 2 hours, several boxes of ammo and running my tuner out from one end to the other, I found a setting where I could just drill the center dot on the bull 28 out of 30 shots and not have any "flippers" as Calfee likes to call them. The purpose of this exercise came about after a disastrous performance in absolutely dead calm air searching for a clue as to why scores fell in conditions that should have increased them. Does anyone have similar experiences and know a shortcut to arrive at THE optimum tuner setting? Please don't tell me about ringing barrels! I dusted off my stethoscope and percussion hammer last year and tapped till I was blue but was unable to distinguish any diffence in the sounds.

Sounds good

Ken:
That's a pretty good tring of X's. That about the way I do it, except I don't twist the tuner. I just add weight until I get the best I can expect from my equipment. I got a set of Roger VonAhrens weights from Danny Killough, and have had very good results with them. I have also added some mid-barrel tuners to several of my rifles, and that seems to have also helped. Now to get to a match and prove it, that's something else. I tested this morning with a new barrel and a Harrel tuner with the long Bloop tube. Considering the conditions, I way very happen that I was able to hold on the center dot and not go outside the 25 ring on four 5 shot groups. Wind was very switchy and around 15MPH. See what happens in Waco this weekend. Come on down.

I admit that string of X's was the exception and not the rule. I presume the weight set is for the Hoehn style tuner? I have Harrel tuners with the bloop tube. What number do you set your tuner on? Weather permitting I'll be chasing redfish in the marsh this weekend.

I did the same thing this past weekend. Went from 0-500 and back again to see which ones repeated. Only 4 of them did. They were all back to back though. I set it on the first one and started shooting until it dropped one, at about bull #8, for no apparent reason. Then I went to the next one and re-shot the bulls I had already shot and fired a 25X target. It would wait for me and produce results. I will have to say I am pretty pleased and will be even more so if it holds up in the match this weekend. I have been here before but for whatever reason my rifle has been reluctant to repeat on 2 consecutive days.
We will see.

Tuning

When one of the guys that I shoot with gun gives him a flyer for no reason he will move his tuner (FUDD) forward and then backwards then back to the original setting. I at first thought it was poo but I happen to be shooting it one day when this happened and the gun went back to shooting after he did his magic.

My two cents

Tuners

Ken:
The Harrell and the Horn are the same. That is if they are both threaded for an extra weight. Roger's weight set, comes with an adapter the you must first screw on. It weighs 1 ounce. there is another 1 ounce, a three ounce and a five ounce. To finish it of, a half ounce weight serves as an end cap. Some barrels will take all the weights, while others, will only require somewhat less. Some are steel and some aluminum. Just by switching a steel for aluminum, you can make it appear you have added more weight further forward, or reduced by just a half ounce. You need to play with them on consecutive days to see if the repeat. I try to test with as many different velocities as I can until they all produce a nice round small group, basically one hole. Then I try each velocity separate until I find the one that gives the smallest group. Thats the one I will try and buy as much as I can afford. As the insides on the tuner get dirty, it will change the presumed weight, and your results will change. It's important that you keep the tuner clean. Danny sells a special tuner cleaner that will fit both the tuners and the extra weight while attached. Seldom after I have founf the best weight, I never move the tuner. The tuners on all my barrels are set a 250. I haven't tried changing it, as I'm pretty satisfied with the reults I have been getting.

Last edited:
Thanks Fred. I've ordered one with the weight system from Dan and will try your technique as soon as it arrives.

Ken,
What action do you shoot? Dan and I had similar problems and I found an answer to mine.

Carp

Gents,

I believe that the Calfee "one hole" tuning setup was done using ammo with different velocities. His ammo had a velocity difference of near 30 fps.

I was shooting a Hall action at the time. I was thinking I had Harrell's tuners but I was mistaken, they are Fudd tuners. I can't seem to keep them straight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back