Tuners!!!!

I pretty much knew that Tim

Yes Pete, and if you had a clue you’d realize it is after they leave the machinery that separates the OK ones from the consistent match winners or better.

State of the art, RF rifle thread, found below, post #9, paragraph 6

but, as I said, all barrels are made the same way. You always talk about RF stuff as if it were somehow mystical, it is not. I'm sure all barrels are sorted before they are sent out, be they RF or CF, one would expect that. All of them have to be sold to someone though.

Pete

The barrel making machinery that Muller now has is well traveled. Craig Kosteshyn bought it from Northwest Barrels in Washington State or Oregon. The barrels coming out of Northwest were excellent also. The guy at Northwest was an airline pilot at one time. I steered Paul Tolvstad to a fellow who used to shoot in the Eastern Region from Indiana by the name of Pence, not Mike, who was a farmer. He built the machinery for barrel making and he either built or taught Paul to build his.
And as this thread is about tuners, I suppose these barrels will also accept a tuner.

Last edited:
I gave up after 6 pages and then the last 2. I haven't seen anything about how far you slide the tuner on the barrel and then where do you start and how far do you twist it each time. Rimfire is new to me and I need a father figure. I have 6 lots of Eley to start. Do I test ammo first, test with the mid barrel tuner, and then test with the end of barrel tuner?

HELP!

I gave up after 6 pages and then the last 2. I haven't seen anything about how far you slide the tuner on the barrel and then where do you start and how far do you twist it each time. Rimfire is new to me and I need a father figure. I have 6 lots of Eley to start. Do I test ammo first, test with the mid barrel tuner, and then test with the end of barrel tuner?

HELP!

If you have a Harrols then it is bored to give you a hard stop.
Take the ammo you have the most of and do a search for the “Hopewell “ method.
If you have to start someplace, set it @200, shoot a card with each lot and then fine tune with best.

Last edited:
If you have a Harrols then it is bored to give you a hard stop.
Take the ammo you have the most of and do a search for the “Hopewell “ method.
If you have to start someplace, set it @200, shoot a card with each lot and then fine tune with best.

Thanks Tim. If the painter ever gets done with the stock I will be on the way.

Butch, I have 1913 w/ mid barrel tuner & Harrell's. Its set on 152. Not sure we have the same contours though.

Keith

but, as I said, all barrels are made the same way. You always talk about RF stuff as if it were somehow mystical, it is not. I'm sure all barrels are sorted before they are sent out, be they RF or CF, one would expect that. All of them have to be sold to someone though.

Pete

Pete, the complete lack of stuff you know is breathtaking.
When you ask the wrong questions to begin with, you deal with lots of wrong answers.
What makes a superior RF barrel has far more to do with what happens after the last machine tool touches it the vast majority of time. Why are the current high percentage of best barrels coming from primarily one source[ not to say others don't come with great ones on an occasional basis], unable to keep up with demand? It is largely because they end up getting taper lapped by the current best guy in the business, and that is why, principally, they differ in a big way.
As has been said, "you're entitled to your own opinions, not you're own facts"........thems the facts there Petey boy.

Nothing new in what you just said Timmy Boy

Pete, the complete lack of stuff you know is breathtaking.
When you ask the wrong questions to begin with, you deal with lots of wrong answers.
What makes a superior RF barrel has far more to do with what happens after the last machine tool touches it the vast majority of time. Why are the current high percentage of best barrels coming from primarily one source[ not to say others don't come with great ones on an occasional basis], unable to keep up with demand? It is largely because they end up getting taper lapped by the current best guy in the business, and that is why, principally, they differ in a big way.
As has been said, "you're entitled to your own opinions, not you're own facts"........thems the facts there Petey boy.

I 'm pretty sure everyone here read what Jerry Stiller has written. I believe he said Shilen does not taper lap their barrels and I suspect neither does many of the others. I did get a taper lapped barrel from one of the best last year so I am not ignorant to the fact that they are attainable. It still has nothing to do with the machining processes which is everyone's facts.

P

I 'm pretty sure everyone here read what Jerry Stiller has written. I believe he said Shilen does not taper lap their barrels and I suspect neither does many of the others. I did get a taper lapped barrel from one of the best last year so I am not ignorant to the fact that they are attainable. It still has nothing to do with the machining processes which is everyone's facts.

P

. Shilen certainly taper laps their barrels, I own, have slugged several, usually about .0002”. What he said is he gets HIS, sometimes without that to do it himself.
And in point of fact, I never said they were unobtainable, simply demand greatly outstrips supply.

“all made the same way”….. your words Petey. Do you know what “ made” means?
This would be easier if you remember from day today what you post.

Last edited:
Shilen taper laps their ratchet barrels. They straight lap the octagons. They will not supply an unlapped blank to anyone. I do not lap on the ratchets. I taper the octagons myself.

Memory is becoming an issue

. Shilen certainly taper laps their barrels, I own, have slugged several, usually about .0002”. What he said is he gets HIS, sometimes without that to do it himself.
And in point of fact, I never said they were unobtainable, simply demand greatly outstrips supply.

“all made the same way”….. your words Petey. Do you know what “ made” means?
This would be easier if you remember from day today what you post.

Time hasn't been kind to me in that regard.

Pete

Tuner design notes wanted

Due to the difficulties of importing a tuner into Australia, I am thinking of making a tuner to suit my '54 Annie.

I have a lathe and mill that I am reasonably competent with.

I am asking if anybody has a plan for a suitable tuner that is suitable for a home shop build.

Thanks in advance.

* doggie *

Due to the difficulties of importing a tuner into Australia, I am thinking of making a tuner to suit my '54 Annie.

I have a lathe and mill that I am reasonably competent with.

I am asking if anybody has a plan for a suitable tuner that is suitable for a home shop build.

Thanks in advance.

* doggie *

I would think you'd be further ahead finding a pal with a Harrels to measure. From machining standpoint it is pretty simple.

Looking for a Tuner

Well, I poked the WWW for tuners and found that an excellent range of tuners are made right here in Australia.

What a relief, no import hassles. No need to fire up the lathe and mill and see what works.

Too many problems developing my own so had a lovely chat with Debbi at Lowey Products.http://www.loweyproducts.com/products.html

Sounds good, ordered one and shall report back in a while after it arrives and tested.

* doggie *

Well, I poked the WWW for tuners and found that an excellent range of tuners are made right here in Australia.

What a relief, no import hassles. No need to fire up the lathe and mill and see what works.

Too many problems developing my own so had a lovely chat with Debbi at Lowey Products.http://www.loweyproducts.com/products.html

Sounds good, ordered one and shall report back in a while after it arrives and tested.

* doggie *

doggie,

I'm glad you found a local source for your tuner.

If you want to make one here is a pic of a design by Bob Messina. I made this one and it was pretty easy.

The threaded sleeve is a gauge fit to the barrel and is glued in place. You can make adjustments by screwing the body and weight in and out.

When you find a spot you like measure from the end of the tube to the front of the weight head. Record that length and you can always find that spot again.

You lock it in place by tightening the tube to the face of the barrel. You need the holes in the tube to put a rod through so you can lock and unlock it.

You can make different size/shapes of weight heads.

No clamping, no o rings, and no springs.

TKH (4628)

tuner parts.jpg tunerHM.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Tim

I would think you'd be further ahead finding a pal with a Harrels to measure. From machining standpoint it is pretty simple.

Probably best that I simply read these forums and shut up. It's likely time.

Pete

Back