Tuner thread

ArtinNC

I have a used barrel that had a tuner on it and the thread measures .902 and thread is 32 . Does anyone make a tuner with that thread . Or should I just take the barrel off and turn a new thread I really don't want to go a 5/8 size this is on a 1.250 diam barrel . And another question by turning the barrel down will that let the barrel expand to much and open up the bore as the bullet leaves the barrel .

I have a used barrel that had a tuner on it and the thread measures .902 and thread is 32 . Does anyone make a tuner with that thread . Or should I just take the barrel off and turn a new thread I really don't want to go a 5/8 size this is on a 1.250 diam barrel . And another question by turning the barrel down will that let the barrel expand to much and open up the bore as the bullet leaves the barrel .

A .900-32 was pretty common a few years ago. My first ones were that size, for that reason. You should be able to turn it down for a 7/8-32 without any issues. Even it the old thread doesn't completely clean up, don't worry about it. It should be close enough to not cause any problem threading right over the top of them. IME, I've never had an issue with any bbl od turning down for a 7/8-32. I doubt you'd have an accuracy issue even going to 5/8 but I wouldn't risk going that far unless absolutely necessary. Lots of factors here. Even if the bore grows a tad, that doesn't automatically mean it'll stop shooting just as well but no need to take that chance unless you must. There are tons of guns threaded for muzzle brakes smaller and most of the time, people shoot better with the brake. Again, lots of variables but there are numerous 7/8-32 tuners out there now and their record is hard to argue with. Measure the targets! A lot of other stuff is between our ears.

Last edited:

Is it a cut rifled barrel or a button rifled barrel.? The rumor has been that buttoned barrels will actually expend a very small amount when metal is removed, and cut rifled do not. I really can’t say one way or another.

There has already been a substantial amount of material removed, if you know how to slug a barrel, you could tell if it is any larger than the rest of the barrel.

What type of rifle is it going on?

Last edited:
Is it a cut rifled barrel or a button rifled barrel.? The rumor has been that buttoned barrels will actually expend a very small amount when metal is removed, and cut rifled do not. I really can’t say one way or another.

There has already been a substantial amount of material removed, if you know how to slug a barrel, you could tell if it is any larger than the rest of the barrel.

What type of rifle is it going on?

Gauge pins will tell you if the bore grew but the target will tell you if it matters.
Gotta remember, especially so with cf..the bore grows and the bullets expands to fit the bore, every time we pull the trigger. That's just a fact and it's how a pressure trace system works. They can pick up the primer igniting by the radial stretch of the bbl in front of the chamber.

The barrel is a Brux and cut rifling . It is a old Benchrest barrel with many rounds through it and I re-chambered it in 221 Fireball . And it will shoot in the .100's and some times is the .0's on a Savage action not bad for a old barrel , it is just something to play with , but the end of the barrel is threaded and I wanted to put a thread protector on it .
Thanks for the comments .

Where can I get a tuner with .900X32 thread ? Guess I'll have to have a machine shop make one for me . Now that I give my lathe to my son that lives 500 miles away I really miss it .

Last edited:
Where can I get a tuner with .900X32 thread ? Guess I'll have to have a machine shop make one for me . Now that I give my lathe to my son that lives 500 miles away I really miss it .

You never realize how useful a lathe is until you have had one and traded it off.
here are so many 'little' things thatare just a few minute of lathe work but are a real hassle to do without one.

I might still have an Ezell with .9X32 I'll check

I might still have an Ezell with .9X32 I'll check

Hopefully you have others, one he can use. I looked back and I don't have a record of selling you a .900-32 but that certainly doesn't mean you don't have one. I'd like to help him out but mine are all .875 now.

edit...Art, give me a call again. I just found a Lambert that has been collecting dust. Real good shape.

Last edited:
mwezell , I'm not home I'll get with you in the morning

That'll work. I usually get to the shop around 7:30 or 8. I'm on central time. Should be here pretty much all day. Some days are busy phone days or I may be running a noisy phase converter or something. If I don't answer, leave a msg and I'll call ya back. --Mike

Thank you Mike, you are right the one I got from you was the smaller thread.

I did later find a .900 so's I could test it head-to-head with a Lambert.....and I have a bunch of X47 barrels threaded .900 because I built a bunch of my "3-D Tuners" in .900.... And the Ezell is still my baseline which I 'believe' I can equal......But not beat....

And the beat goes on,

now.

Anyway.......Thanks Tim. :)

I didn't really want to get rid of mine ennyways LOL

Tim Singleton --Thanks , For the tuner . How much do you want for it . I'm not looking for a freeby , The barrel that I want to put it is a old Brux that I got from another shooter that won matches with it . And I don't want to shorten it any more . I put it on another gun and it will still shoot in the .100 and I just want to see what it will do with a tuner .

Last edited:
Back