Tuner/Snubber/Muzzle Brake......pictures

At the risk of stepping out of line....... just to test concept may I suggest you try a Harrell, about a 1" diameter with lots of holes. Machine it to wedge at the front AND butt at the rear and attach it to high torque (60-80ftlb) and epoxy it on. The brake is subject to WIKKID forces and IMO must be made "part of the barrel"

I machine mine off the gun, generally using a one-off fixture (12l14 rod) so's I can drill thru easily, get my tooling thru without worrying about the muzzle and bore to around .020 over I feel that it's "another muzzle" and need be treated as such, good alignment-clean edges.......although I feel absolute TIGHTNESS is more important.

Problem is, this mess won't TUNE, it's just a brake.

I've got 50 "tunable brakes" here in buckets and I'm still not satisfied with any of them, but my hangup is the "tuner" part. I've just never got a TUNER to reliably shoot better than nekkid.

That's just me, my problem....

I have no trouble getting Braked Rifles to shoot.

Al, you seem to be following the logic that a tuner is meant to improve upon a "perfect" state of tune. I believe this is a common misconception with tuners. IME, tuners are great for maintaining perfect tune or to bring it into perfect tune if you are only close to it.

The way I use a tuner is to do load work up as usual. Once I have it shooting as well as possible, I then use the tuner to keep it there. I've shot the same load in multiple barrels for 11 years now, by barely nudging the tuner when it goes out of tune a bit. I go pre loaded and never change the load throughout the day or the life of that barrel. I have chased the lands in some but I'm not sure it helped vs just moving the tuner. I'm inclined to believe that it did not.

Every rifle I've ever seen comes and goes to some degree relative to tune. To me, a tuner is a tool that just makes maintaining peak tune much simpler and easier than chasing it with powder charge, neck tension and seating depth and can more precise and predictable than the other methods. And if a change doesn't improve the state of tune, you can simply put it right back where it was. All of this can be done at the bench, during the match. The only thing I won't do is move it during a group, unless I have nothing to lose and grasping at anything. I will move it during a score target. I just shoot a few on the sighter to confirm tune and poi.

The most common misconception with tuners is in how far you have to move them. Expecting them to improve the tune of a rifle that is already in perfect tune, is probably the next most common misconception with them.

Last edited:
Al, you seem to be following the logic that a tuner is meant to improve upon a "perfect" state of tune. I believe this is a common misconception with tuners. IME, tuners are great for maintaining perfect tune or to bring it into perfect tune if you are only close to it.

The way I use a tuner is to do load work up as usual. Once I have it shooting as well as possible, I then use the tuner to keep it there. I've shot the same load in multiple barrels for 11 years now, by barely nudging the tuner when it goes out of tune a bit. I go pre loaded and never change the load throughout the day or the life of that barrel. I have chased the lands in some but I'm not sure it helped vs just moving the tuner. I'm inclined to believe that it did not.

Every rifle I've ever seen comes and goes to some degree relative to tune. To me, a tuner is a tool that just makes maintaining peak tune much simpler and easier than chasing it with powder charge, neck tension and seating depth and can more precise and predictable than the other methods. And if a change doesn't improve the state of tune, you can simply put it right back where it was. All of this can be done at the bench, during the match. The only thing I won't do is move it during a group, unless I have nothing to lose and grasping at anything. I will move it during a score target. I just shoot a few on the sighter to confirm tune and poi.

The most common misconception with tuners is in how far you have to move them. Expecting them to improve the tune of a rifle that is already in perfect tune, is probably the next most common misconception with them.

Thank you Mike, I can only nod and bob in total agreement........YES to all

Has anyone tried

a mid barrel ring along with a brake to try to tune a barrel? I say this after having read what Mike said and I agree with. I am simply trying to think of a way to go beyond the muzzle - tuner thing to achieve tune, not otherwise possible. Sliding rings mid-barrel do work well in other situations.

Pete

Back