Tubal 3000 - What's it good for?

KC57

Looking through an old box containing powders, I found an 8# jug of Tubal 3000 with about 7# of powder left in it. It looks like a '97 lot (PB8097), was first opened in 2002, and likely not opened since then. I've read the posts about this stuff going bad with bulged jugs, red dust and spontaneous heating, but this powder and jug have been stored in a dry environment and exhibits none of those symptoms.

However, I no longer shoot a 6PPC, and am wondering what I can use this in. The Vectan loading data is not that useful for the cartridges I have.

What is the burning rate of this stuff relative to other common powders? (not listed on my charts)

I have 22BR's (12T), a 6BR (8T 105-107 gr HPBT's) a 6.5x55 Swede (147 gr. HPBT's) and a 30BR (17T). Has anyone had any success using this powder in any of these cartridges and bullet weights, and if so, what loads? Any info appreciated.

If not useful in any of the above, I'll likely just list it for sale. Thanks.

Tu 3000

The Tu 3000 has a burning rate very close to ADI 2219 with a loading density just a little bit higher. I believe the H322 is the same propellant relabeled So what ever you can use that propellant in you should be able to get a similar result with the Tu 3000.

I remember back in the late '90's when the Tubal hit the scene. As Andy noted, it has about the same burn rate as most of the popular 6PPC powders, almost identical to 322.

If you look at it with a magnifier, you will see it is tubular in construction. Or at least the jug I bought way back then was.

Jerry Stiller used to shoot it when he shot Short Range Benchrest. He might have been the one importing it.

Last edited:
If I remember right that was the powder that almost burnt down two homes.
They both started after they opened them at range then took them home. I
Don't think Mike can post otherwise he could tell you.

Yes, I've read those archived posts. My containers do not seem to exhibit any pressure buildup or heat. Looks like in 2002 I opened the 8# jug, put about a pound into a small 1# bottle and did not open the jug again. Neither containers show any problem. Very little exposure to the atmosphere or hot or moist conditions. I wonder if it was oxygen exposure, or perhaps high humidity that has caused the chemical change in the examples that showed spontaneous heating?

Looks like this powder will only be useful to me for the 22BR's with lighter bullets, and perhaps the .223 Wylde, but not for the 6BR with the heavier bullets, the 6.5x55 or the 30BR.

Yes, I've read those archived posts. My containers do not seem to exhibit any pressure buildup or heat. Looks like in 2002 I opened the 8# jug, put about a pound into a small 1# bottle and did not open the jug again. Neither containers show any problem. Very little exposure to the atmosphere or hot or moist conditions. I wonder if it was oxygen exposure, or perhaps high humidity that has caused the chemical change in the examples that showed spontaneous heating?

Looks like this powder will only be useful to me for the 22BR's with lighter bullets, and perhaps the .223 Wylde, but not for the 6BR with the heavier bullets, the 6.5x55 or the 30BR.

It's too fast for 100+ grn bullets in the 6BR, too slow for the typical 30BR VFS combo, and probably too fast for the 6.5x55.

It would probably work ok as a faster powder choice in a 6BR with 68 grn Match bullets,

Back