Trying to get 69gr Sierra TMKs to shoot 8"twist 22/250

Worker

Loaded these bullet 015 and 007 and touching lands with 40.7 grs of Superformance in 22/250. They shot terrible )-: Sierra manual says IMR 4350 was their accuracy load. So why did I burn Superformance ? It was the fastest .

Maybe you need to work up a load for YOUR RIFLE.
Maybe a simple ladder test at one length.

Loaded these bullet 015 and 007 and touching lands with 40.7 grs of Superformance in 22/250. They shot terrible )-: Sierra manual says IMR 4350 was their accuracy load. So why did I burn Superformance ? It was the fastest .

Superformance may be the fastest but id bet its gonna be the least accurate load youll run across if you tested 32 more powders

I tried superformance in my 260 I didn't like it either. Ive always used 69 smk with 748 in my 223, might be worth a try.

Picking a load by published velocity is probably the least likely method that I can think of. I suggest that you ask others what has been working for them in the way of powders and then do a proper load development.

IMR 4350 and H414

Shooter are raving about IMR 4350 . I have both on hand,I'll be burning those tomorrow.

Yah try a different powder. The only thing I got from super is speed. I tried in a cat called the Hellcat. 6.5x47 necked down and shortened to be able to run in a AR15. I use max 22-250 load data as a start load. The magnetospeed numbers put a smile on my face, but went away quickly looking at the target.

69 t mk

Worker -

Howdy !

Say... how long is your .22-250's barrel ?

For a 24" barrel, IMR 4350 sounds pretty good.

For a 26+ plus, you might want to try the new IMR4451, which seems to run a tad slower in burn rate; still.

Have you ran your bullet's specs through a twist rate calculator, like the one Berger has on-line ?
This can give some idea of whether your obtained vel has put you into a good spot for bullet stability.

With regards,
.357Mag

Imr 4451

I have been burning that powder behind a 75gr A-Max 37grs produced 3460 average with 1/2 MOA in NV desert conditions. Love that stuff ,oh yes a 26" Brux bbl. Tomorrow I'll try that powder with the 69gr TMK.

After you buy a few barrels @ $300++.... you`ll shy away from the "FASTEST".. loads....

I have used 4350 and 4831 sc with 80 grain bullets with good success. I think the 4831 is too slow for 69's. I just bought a jug of 4451 and have high hopes for it. Regards, Bill.

Back