Trueing a bolt face on the lathe...

I wish I had a picture of the way I do it but maybe this explanination will be clear enough. I have a Bison 6 1/4" three jaw adjust tru chuck, I made soft jaws that are 1" wide and 3 inches tall with 120 degree end on them. I had to cut away a little of the jaws at the chuck side to make clearance for the bolt handle. Then there is room for the handle to fit out from between the two jaws and be close to the face of the chuck. Then I bored the soft jaws to .700" dia. When you put the bolt in the jaws it runs dead true and more solid than anything. I skim the front and back of the lugs that are hanging out of the jaws far enough to do this easily and then face the bolt. I set the jaws aside and use them only for this and can just rebore them each time to make it perfect. Here is a mock up with the jaws. This works good for me but my chuck is cherry and tight. If you have Sloppy jaws it might be a problem.

Last edited:
I wish I had a picture of the way I do it but maybe this explanination will be clear enough. I have a Bison 6 1/4" three jaw adjust tru chuck, I made soft jaws that are 1" wide and 3 inches tall with 120 degree end on them. I had to cut away a little of the jaws at the chuck side to make clearance for the bolt handle. Then there is room for the handle to fit out from between the two jaws and be close to the face of the chuck. Then I bored the soft jaws to .700" dia. When you put the bolt in the jaws it runs dead true and more solid than anything. I skim the front and back of the lugs that are hanging out of the jaws far enough to do this easily and then face the bolt. I set the jaws aside and use them only for this and can just rebore them each time to make it perfect. Here is a mock up with the jaws. This works good for me but my chuck is cherry and tight. If you have Sloppy jaws it might be a problem.

Just shows that when it comes to doing gun work, that there is more than one way to skin the cat. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Back