Trouble finding accurate load for Remington 223 5R

Nosler 55 Gr bt bullet was the best of this lot. The Hornady 68 gr and IMR 3031 shot almost as well.
BearingSurface.jpg
SavageAxis223R.jpg

Awesome...!
Nice Sharing 243winxb.

I was wondering if there have been any improvements in how this rifle is performing. I just bought the same rifle, but have not shot it yet, waiting on scope and mounts to arrive.

Never had a bad 700, Here's my 223 load for 1/9

I've had about 7 model 700s from 223 (2) 260 (3) 308 and 35 Whelen. ALL would do MOA less with no fuss hand loads. For my .223 Milspec I use Hornady 75gn HPBT with 24gn Varget, full length resized so it also shoots in my RRA Varmint and bullets seated magazine length. Does about 3/4" in the Milspec, under that in the Rock River Varmint.

From what you have written, it seems like you may not have much in the way of an organized load workup procedure. Do you have a way to measure your shoulder bump for setting up your FL die, a way to accurately determine at what seating depth your bullets are just touching the rifling, and a way to record seating depth using measurements taken off of the ogives of bullets? What are the shapes of your groups. Have you shot small groups before, with other rifles? There may be some setup and shooting technique issues here. What is your trigger weight? What scope are you using, is it adjusted properly, and are the rings and bases properly tightened? There is no magic about 65 in. lb. and running tight will not make up for bedding problems, if you have them, and neither will a bedding block prevent them. Where are you seating bullets in relation to the rifling. I have never had a factory Remington that shot that poorly...ever.

AT the range...

I have heard of ranges that won't allow loading at the range... Can't understand why..???
But if it's OK at your range, drag that gear out to the range.. Chances are one will find a load much
quicker and with a minimum of wasted Time, Components and patients

Oh and some form of wind reading....

Just try two shots at a time on clean bulls, X's or whatever target.... More shots will (maybe) just confuse the situation... I'd say,
with a factory gun... If you can get several two shots groups within 3/4" or better consecutively, your finding the rifles node.
You may be surprised what a tune load ends up being.... Big jump with hot load all the way to jam with light load... Or a combination.

Then venture into 3 an 5 shot groups...
cale

Back