torque in a 7mm-08

Rflshootr

Has anyone had a rifle that had a huge amount of torque in the bags? I bought a Remington 700 sps in 7-08 and have been loading 140's. The rifle torques incredibly in the bags. I also tried it with a bipod & rear bag off the bench, and it torques enough to lift 1 leg off the table about an inch. I've never had a rifle twist like this one. Any idea as to why?

My first question is.......

Has anyone had a rifle that had a huge amount of torque in the bags? I bought a Remington 700 sps in 7-08 and have been loading 140's. The rifle torques incredibly in the bags. I also tried it with a bipod & rear bag off the bench, and it torques enough to lift 1 leg off the table about an inch. I've never had a rifle twist like this one. Any idea as to why?

What is the barrel twist? That much torque sounds like a very fast twist.

David

And that

It's a factory standard 9 1/4 twist, 24" long.

to a BR shooter is an exceedingly fast twist. That would be where your torque is coming from. For point blank score shooting, a 15 twist would be considered fast. I personally shoot 17 and 18 twist barrels.

Probably

An ideal twist for a 140 7 mm bullet might be around 1-12. But being a factory rifle and probably designed to shoot on up to a 160 gr 7 mm bullet the faster twist is dictated. One rifle for all has to be a compromise.

torque

Get an accuracy asset to use in the bags as it will make your rocker bottom sps stock 3 inches wide and torque will be minimized and then you will have more fun. You get one from Sinclair or rw hart in Pennsylvania. You unsrew your front swivel stud and take it out and bolt on the asset. I had a 7 08 in a 1 in 11 1/2 twist and it doesn't stabilize anything over 130 grains. The 9 1/4 twist is standard .

Back