Too good a story to pass up

Charles E

curmudgeon
Y'all may remember Joel Pendergraft, a North Carolina gunsmith who holds the IBS HG 10-shot group record (which for a while was the world record).

Anyway, Joel had a friend who asked him to be his partner in a "distinguished" match (?), which he did. In the afternoon, they had a sniper match. Joel wasn't going to shoot that, it's an individual match, no partner needed. It was shot out of an upstairs window, with 3 targets at ranges up to 800 yards -- Joel didn't have a long-range rifle with a bipod on it, but decided what the heck, he'd use his ammo box as a front rest and shoot one of his 1,000 yard BENCHREST Light Guns.

Yup, he won. No sighters, There were three targets. Took him three shots.

I'm pretty sure we've all done it at one point or another where, you occasionally will come across a person who is not familiar with Benchrest. They think that somehow using that bench means the person is not a capable shooter. This brought me to mind of a recent thread that linked to a youtube video and the comments there were more or less "that ain't shooting..." Personally, I find it the other way around, that bench means to me that that person is dead serious about shooting, and usually they've forgotten more about hit'n what they aim at, than some will ever know.

Just cause they shot off a bench for a while, doesn't mean you wanna start any shoot'n contests with em. Ya might just be surprised at how they pull triggers in other positions too!

And, don't think just cause you meet one that's 80 years old that you've got a leg up on em either. I wouldn't count yer chickens...

Charles:

Great to hear about Joel's success. No suprise here. I don't think that many know that Joel has successfully shot in several competitive venues and events. He just added another one. This made my day!

Jim Hardy

Charles 800 yards that would be a chip shot for Joel. A lot of people don't realize that when you're shooting a well tuned 1000 yard rifle at shorter distances, in the hands of an accomplished shooter, your in trouble! Is he going to be shooting 1000 yards again this year.

Joe Salt

Joe, the last time I spoke with him he said he'd gotten into Action Shoot'n and was having a good time at that. Ya gotta try everything at least once!

Joe, I think Joel's planning to take some time off 1,000 yard benchrest. As Phil said, he's been shooting 3-gun, but we have a couple point-blank score matches on the calendar. Joel's building rifles and helping run the Wake County indoor range (North Carolina's capital, Raleigh, is in Wake County). Nice set up, there is a 100-yard, centerfire allowed, indoor range in the facility.

Back