Todd Wooten wins Bullet Pro 150 shooting Spec 4, Merlin

tonykharper

Congratulations to Todd Wooten for winning the Inaugural Bullet Pro 150 with Spec 4, Merlin.

Merlin was wearing a Muller 4MI barrel lapped by Paul Tolvstat and fit by John Langley.

As always Todd great shooting. Enjoy the win.

TKH

PS: This is a correction to the smith that fir the barrel. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Todd,
Good to see you win another, with Calfee's Spec 4 and a little of Merlin's magic.
Congrats,
Glen H

Sounds like more of a Tolvstad than a Calfee currently.

P.S. Paul posted elsewhere Langley fit the barrel.

Last edited:
I have a question I hope someone can help me with. The rifle that Todd Wooten is shooting "spec 4" how much of the rifle is still original as from Calfee. I am aware that the barrel is different and was done by Langley. Is the stock the same or has it been changed also. I have heard that the stock has been changed. If that is the case the the only part left that is original is the action. Perhaps Todd Wooten can clear some of this up.

I have a question I hope someone can help me with. The rifle that Todd Wooten is shooting "spec 4" how much of the rifle is still original as from Calfee. I am aware that the barrel is different and was done by Langley. Is the stock the same or has it been changed also. I have heard that the stock has been changed. If that is the case the the only part left that is original is the action. Perhaps Todd Wooten can clear some of this up.

drknite,

You are right about the changes to Merlin. The same can be said about nearly any competition gun that has been around more than a decade.

One way to think of it is to think about a top female model, those may not be her boobs, not her butt, not her cheek bones, not even her waist line, but she is still the same B**** inside!

This is where you are suppose to laugh!...

TKH

drknite,

You are right about the changes to Merlin. The same can be said about nearly any competition gun that has been around more than a decade.

One way to think of it is to think about a top female model, those may not be her boobs, not her butt, not her cheek bones, not even her waist line, but she is still the same B**** inside!

This is where you are suppose to laugh!...

TKH

That is funny! I'm not sure it's an apples to apples deal though. If I built a gun for someone that had changed everything but the action, I don't think I could/would claim it as the gunsmith anymore, good or bad. Human nature is funny, it's always easy to claim something that helps, but distance from the exact situation when it doesn't. Personally, I have never wanted anything I didn't earn for myself, let it be money, reputation or anything else for that matter. Everyone is different though, and everyone else needs to decide for themselves what is right and wrong and where the line is drawn.

Congratulations

to my ole drinking buddy Todd. You obviously shot well, as you always do. I will bet you were odds on favorite for the win. If I was a betting man I would have put my money on ya.

That is funny! I'm not sure it's an apples to apples deal though. If I built a gun for someone that had changed everything but the action, I don't think I could/would claim it as the gunsmith anymore, good or bad. Human nature is funny, it's always easy to claim something that helps, but distance from the exact situation when it doesn't. Personally, I have never wanted anything I didn't earn for myself, let it be money, reputation or anything else for that matter. Everyone is different though, and everyone else needs to decide for themselves what is right and wrong and where the line is drawn.

Jerry,

I'm going to word this very carefully and hopefully I can say what I want to say without hitting raw nerves.

I understand where you are coming from and I see your point. Please allow me to give you another perspective.

I've been in RFBR for a long time and I have spent a great amount of time thinking about all that has happened in the sport.

I was in RFBR before there was custom RFBR actions. I watched all of them come on board one by one. Before that I saw many commercial rimfire actions

used, and modified to be used. No two were alike everyone had their own ideas.

In the old days when one attended the Nationals it was like going to a SHOT show. There would be many one off rifles, actions rests, etc.

The sport was made up of craftsman some professional and some hobbyist but they all thought they had the answer. Some worked some didn't.

I remember an action that you removed the entire bolt to load a round. I saw rimfire rail guns of every description,

I even saw one guy with an air tank and a fitting to blow out his barrel every few rounds. Electric triggers before they were banned.

The point is we were going in a hundred directions looking for rimfire accuracy.

Compare that with today. We now have what can be called cookie cutter guns. If you have seen one you have seen them all.

Yes, we still argue about things like SAP and PAS, wood vs plastic, etc. etc. But they are all pretty much the same.

Calfee was the first to design, provide, and popularize the format we now all use. This is true in the heavy guns, but can best be seen in the IR 50/50 sporter's.

Every single one of them has the knot on the end of the barrel that is used as a non moveable tuner.

Did Calfee invent all of these parts, some yes, some no. But he was the first to successfully marry of these components into the winning format we use today.

Think of it like this: did Ford invent the automobile, or is all automobiles Fords.

I'm not so foolish to think I can change minds, but maybe I can help with understanding.

Know I have great respect for you, and I am grateful for all you do for our sport. I don't know how you will take this but it comes from a good place.

TKH

Last edited:
Back