Tips for 308 loads

B

brikman

Friend of mine just got a Savage 12 lrpv 12 twist 30inch barrel in 308 thought some of you might have some good tips on loads sure would be a big Help Thanks

A 1 in 12 twist usually likes bullet weights between 150 and 165 grains. I would recommend Varget, 4064, or 4895 powders....I'm sure there are a lot of other suggestions that might be better, but this has been successful for me. you'll have to play with the COL to find out what works best with your rifle.

i think you missed the 168 target bullets in that statement....and yes they belong in there...

i shoot 175's from a 11.25 twist.....

mike in co

A 1 in 12 twist usually likes bullet weights between 150 and 165 grains. I would recommend Varget, 4064, or 4895 powders....I'm sure there are a lot of other suggestions that might be better, but this has been successful for me. you'll have to play with the COL to find out what works best with your rifle.

Friend of mine just got a Savage 12 lrpv 12 twist 30inch barrel in 308 thought some of you might have some good tips on loads sure would be a big Help Thanks

Loads to do what sort of shooting? As to that bore twist, your "friend" should be able to use bullets as heavy as 178gr (such as the AMAX from Hornady). However, if his quest is to shoot benchrest with that rig (which seems highly unlikely and ill-advised, if said "friend" wants to be competitive in the least), then he should start with lighter, superbly crafted match bullets.

i think you missed the 168 target bullets in that statement....and yes they belong in there...

i shoot 175's from a 11.25 twist.....

mike in co

As Mike has pointed out, the 168gr bullet is a very popular choice for the .308. I have had very good results with the 168 gr SMK, the 168 gr Nosler, CC, and the 168 gr Hornady A MAX.

I am loading for a S.A.I. M-1A chambered for 7.62 mm (.308) with a 1 in 12" twist barrel.

I started with H-4895 powder, then tried some Varget, they both performed very well and the best groups were at about 2600 fps.

Hope this is helpful,
Dick

Good loads... if you can find primers, bullets or powder, on the shelves right now.

Gina

155 H AMax, 155.5 Berger Tula/Wolf LR primer 8208 XBR powder. 185 Berger BT Fed 210 GMM IMR 4064,, Sierra 190 HPBT Tula LR primer V N540.

308 loads depend on what you want to do with them. We have 4 members who shot rifles like yours at our range. As the majority of our shooting is done at 100 yards we mostly have been shooting 110 gr V max tips and 125 gr Berger tips. Much less recoil and they usually shoot tighter at short range than the 150+ gr tips.

My 308 Savage with a 26" barrel shoots best with the 125 Bergers and a faster burning powder. I use it out to 300 yards. For a hunting rifle it is hard to beat. And recoil is very light. Lots more fun to shoot than the heavier tips. I took two nice bucks with it this year.

We sometimes shoot score, and group, matches @ 100 yards with the 308 rifle using the 110 V max tips. Again lighter recoil and they shoot quite well.

Shorter ranges you should give these lighter bullets a try.

Octopus

where do you buy TIPS >?????
I SHOOT bullets from some of the nicest BULLET COMPANIES...berger...sierra..bib....
but in all my searching cannot find a tip company.
yes your poor english iritated me
learn the language of your sport.

mike in co
308 loads depend on what you want to do with them. We have 4 members who shot rifles like yours at our range. As the majority of our shooting is done at 100 yards we mostly have been shooting 110 gr V max tips and 125 gr Berger tips. Much less recoil and they usually shoot tighter at short range than the 150+ gr tips.

My 308 Savage with a 26" barrel shoots best with the 125 Bergers and a faster burning powder. I use it out to 300 yards. For a hunting rifle it is hard to beat. And recoil is very light. Lots more fun to shoot than the heavier tips. I took two nice bucks with it this year.

We sometimes shoot score, and group, matches @ 100 yards with the 308 rifle using the 110 V max tips. Again lighter recoil and they shoot quite well.

Shorter ranges you should give these lighter bullets a try.

Octopus

I guess all of us should have asked what are you going to use the rifle for? 168 gr BTHP Match Kings are one of my favorite bench bullets and shoot well in almost all of my rifles including AR10, M1A's and Light Tactical rifles, but when it comes to hunting deer with one of my 700's or 600's with 1 in 12 twist I like the lighter bullets, but again the use is most important. Try samples of different bullets and use what works best for your rifle.

how about LT-32 for a 308 load

I also like the 168 and have great luck with the Berger 155.5 Fullbore for target work both driven by Varget. Has anyone had a chance yet to see if the new LT-32 will be any good for a .308?

Mike

Back