timming a jewell trigger

skeetlee

I read something the other day while browsing around various shooting forums an article were this gunsmith said that he times his jewell triggers to the actions on the rifles he builds. I don't know if this guy just means he sets the pull weight were he feels its needed or if he actually gets more involved with sear engagement and such. He really didn't elaborate on this topic all that much and i wish he had. I know with my BAT actions i can change out the trigger hangers for different sear placements but other than that what can you really do? I thought this might be an interesting subject. Lee

I time jewell triggers for $150.00. Cyst's and any growth's is by appointment ony.

The trigger is positioned fore or aft so when the bolt is rotated closed, you 1) don't have a cock-on-closing issue and 2) the firing pin isn't falling to pick up the sear. It should have an even "hand-off" to maintain as much firing pin fall as possible. This is why BAT sends different hangers. There are other timing issues that the action maker deals with.

Wayne has it right!

I have heard may poo-poo's on trigger timing and then have received actions that had triggers installed that "worked" according to the gunsmith (I guess because they fired when the trigger was pulled :))-but they were short on firing pin fall, and had extraction cam and cocking interference issues.

I get a big chuckle when someone "puts down" that a trigger and action should be "timed". They are just showing they do not understand how the mechanical aspects of the bolt, trigger and closing, cocking and extraction cams work.

At one time Jewell triggers had large variations on sear pickup point from trigger to trigger-that has not been a problem for years now. But, various brands of triggers have different pickup points which effects firing pin fall, hand off and cocking and its relationship to extraction

Jim

Thanks for the replies fellas. I would like to explain what i am seeing with my BAT DS and jewell trigger to you, so we can do a lap top evaluation. LOL!! I dont think my timing is right here but i really dont know? Alright basically what i am seeing is my that my firing pin is immediately picked up by the trigger when i go to close my bolt. Before the cocking piece on the bolt even comes out of its groove in the bolt body it is already picking up on the trigger. " i hope i am saying this right" bottom line is that i can see movement on my firing plunger that sticks out the back of the bolt shroud at the moment i start to close my bolt down. the plunger actually moves backwards, or the bolt is moving forwards as soon as i start to close. On some of my other rifles the cocking piece doesn't pick up until the cocking piece comes out of the resting groove. Does any of this make since? I think i am running the number 10 hanger forward on the trigger. I will put a 0 in and see what happens. Lee

update on the above paragraph. I had the zero hanger in the riffle as i thought it was the number 10. Anyway i do see the pin moving rearward as i close the bolt but i actually think the pin still falls a little forward before catching onto the trigger. everything moves back, then falls forward. with the number 0 hanger my total pin fall distance is right at .205 what i said above about the cocking piece immediately picking up was wrong i do believe.

After studying and messing around a little with the trigger i see now how all this really works. What i dont understand is how any of this translates into better or worse accuracy? I put the number 30 trigger hanger on the trigger and it gives me a ton more pin fall but the bolt handle is now harder to close. I am going to shoot the riffle this way just to see what happens. my total pin fall now with the number 30 hanger is .240 and i can now see were the cocking piece doesnt have to fall forward to catch onto the trigger. I think the number 30 is a bit to much in this case. Lee

Last edited:
I now know what a perfectly timed action/trigger feels like. I purchased a New Borden Rimrock action and it is sweet! The hand off to the sear is very very smooth. Much appreciated Jim! Lee

Jim is one of the few people that fully understand the ignition systems on a rifle and how they should work. I personally like Jim's action out of all of them because of this. His fit finish and tolerances are also second to none.

No I am not a paid sponsor. But if Jim wants to send me an action to review for about 20 years I would gladly accept (grin).

Borden actions

Jim is one of the few people that fully understand the ignition systems on a rifle and how they should work. I personally like Jim's action out of all of them because of this. His fit finish and tolerances are also second to none.

No I am not a paid sponsor. But if Jim wants to send me an action to review for about 20 years I would gladly accept (grin).

I'll second everything you said about Jim Borden, his actions and his knowledge. After many years of spending small fortunes on Remington actions I decided it was time for a custom action. I decided to go with a Borden action with a Jewell trigger timed by Borden. I also had Jim chamber several barrels for me.
Without a doubt this is not only a fantastic action but the Borden's customer service is second to none.

I have been buying Jewell triggers as a dealer for over 20yrs. I pretty much understand how to time a trigger but when I've used Borden actions I've paid Jim to set them up. Jim really does know whereof he speaks.

Not just re triggers :)

Jim's guns SHOOT, they're not finicky. To me this is huge.

al

I have four benchrest rifles built by Jim, one SSR action that i built, and have two more rifles on order from Jim.
Jim da man

I've got a Jewel trigger in an otherwise factory Remington 700. I've noticed that the bolt closes weird - when you start rotating it downward, it catches about halfway through. It's like 2 stages. This is with or without a cartridge. I disassembled the gun today to take a gunsmith for a recrown, and tried the bolt in it without the trigger. It was as smooth as any other 700, with no catch. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

When sitting at the bench I have asked several shooters,[some big time] to close the bolt on one of my rimrocks,I get the same holely smokes is that sucker smooth look and a little nod of approval.
Can't see how they can be timed,tuned or set up any better.
Jim does go the extra mile..................

Milt Craven

Back