Thoughts on Lead Sled

I'm not familiar with a Caldwell Rock, but for the last twenty-five years or so, I've found a simple Hart pedestal rest with a Protektor front bag and Protektor bunny ear rear bag is hard to beat for most uses. The Hart pedestal weighs about 17 lbs. and will not move around on the bench under recoil. I've tried at least one lighter pedestal rest and a Bull Bag when they first came out. The Hart (or perhaps a close facsimile) worked far better for me. Having never used a Lead Sled, I can't comment on their worth.

Observations on "The Rock" and Lead Sled

I think you can do a lot worse than the current iteration of "The Rock". I have an earlier one and didn't like the "swing" type windage adjustment. I replaced the top with a better one but use the original base, wheel and bearing. I encouraged a novice friend to buy one of the newer ones for $120 and he and I are both impressed. You can do worse as a benchrest or F-class beginner.

I also talked my wife into buying me a Lead Sled after I seriously tore up my right shoulder. I used it once and put it away. I couldn't put enough padding under my already well-padded butt to get a good sight picture. I would have had to use about 3 pillows to get high enough. It certainly was not suited to any kind of accuracy shooting. I now use a Cabela's strap-on recoil pad and like it.

I've had rifles up to .338 Win Mag and .264 Wiin Mag. The only one that ever hurt me was a Remington 78 in .270. I'm not sure why it kicked so bad, but I got rid of it. If a gun is not fun to shoot, and you're not going to Africa, then why have it?

Back