Thoughts on Benchrest Competition

Have to agree with several replies

I am just getting in the 100-200 BR at 58yrs old. I can't imagine doing this if the kids were still on the teat. I am going to stay day trip local for the most part but I am fortunate that good shooting is just a few hours away in any direction. The $ outlay to get set up properly for the 6ppc has been considerable. I was lucky enough (hmmm) to trade myself into a nice Goodling LV and shooting it was what got me "hooked". I have had the gun and rest at my local range and let a few guys I have seen there before take a few shots. I had them dry fire it a few times and then shoot a 3 shot at a Sinclair practice target. Both guys had all 3 touching at 100 " Never shot like that in my life" is what was said. Then it came " how much to get set up" and when I said $2500. or so ( yeah right ) to get you out of the gate both recoiled like getting burned by something. My eyes were wide open coming into this so it was not a shock. I have a friend that is a drag racer and he let me take a pass in one of his cars....When I found out the $ involved in being able to compete in that I am sure my reaction was much the same as the guys at the range. I think doing most anything specialized like this ( BR ) is going to have a big cost in $-time & dedication. The admission to the pool if you just want to jump in and cool off can't really be done on the cheap from where I'm looking...............Rick

Funny you should mention drag racing as a comparison. Many moons ago I used to race a TFC myself and I think Mike Ratigan ran a TAD at some stage also. By the time I gave it away each pass was costing 5K and that was if you didn't break anything. We had good sponsorship and no money issues but some tried to do it out of the family business. Most of those teams didn't stay around for long. As Jackie mentioned a good rifle and tune up is 75% of the battle. About the same as pro level drag racing. To get results you need to spend the money. Years ago I let one of the better shooters try my rifle to see what he thought of my tune up. After two groups and 4 or five sighters he handed it back to me and said he couldn't win anything with that thing either.

As Chism mentioned who are the right people to approach in getting more people interested in BR shooting. Although I am no psychologists my profile might go something like this. Empty nesters who own the home, but probably not be retired but have a good income much of which is disposable. Are fairly well educated ,have an interest in engineering of which there are many types,or in the sciences and enjoy a challenge so won't be put off if they don't achieve their goals in just a couple of years. That would make the average age of shooter over the age of 50.
Andy

So far, no one has been willing to say what I think we all know is true.

"It can't be done!"

And seriously; would you really want to? :eek: To most people, benchrest is about as boring as watching grass grow. :rolleyes: It's expensive, very involved and complicated, requires months even years of study and effort to even participate. Benchrest is not the game for someone that feels, "Winning is everything!" Nope, it's not for the Vince Lombardi types.

In my opinion, benchrest shooters are born, not made. You either have it in your blood or you don't! There are those that could not be kept out and those that could not be dragged in with a team of horses.

Sorry to be so negative but that's the way I see it. :rolleyes:

Gene Beggs

I cant say why others aren't coming into the sport, however I can say why I left it.. When I first started it was fun and I couldn't wait to buy, have stuff built and test and compete, My Lord Id rather load ammo then eat when I was hungry back then. But as years went by and I had my share of great matches, I tired of it and all the club work that I was doing at the time just to keep matchs up & running. By the time I stopped Id rather take a switching then load ammo... I suppose some just wear out or get shot out like a good barrel... LW

As Chism mentioned who are the right people to approach in getting more people interested in BR shooting. Although I am no psychologists my profile might go something like this. Empty nesters who own the home, but probably not be retired but have a good income much of which is disposable. Are fairly well educated ,have an interest in engineering of which there are many types,or in the sciences and enjoy a challenge so won't be put off if they don't achieve their goals in just a couple of years. That would make the average age of shooter over the age of 50.
Andy

Exactly what I was thinking the other day, but didn't have the words. That's me when I finally jumped in. I had always wanted to try benchrest since a teenager. I had to wait until the kids are out of school and working. House payment is gone still working with a small amount of disposable money now available.
I don't hunt or fish or collect old cars. But I do like shooting tiny holes and trying to figure out all that's involved with getting there.
I am a mechanical estimator project manager. Specializing in steam piping in paper mills and other industrial plants. Figuring out how things work keeps me up. I will be 50 this coming spring

racing boats?

Many years ago I had a friend that was way up in the A and B classes of the APBA racing. I went with him a few times and raced once in a bigger class, finished dead last. But I saw some thing that I was interested in. They had a class that was called SS25, if I remember right, that was based on an engine that was made for racing by one of the big makers. The class had a couple of boats that were legal and this one motor, and that was it. No modifications were allowed to the motor or boat. The class rules limited the amount of money that you could spend and made it a competition game instead of an engineering and money spending game. Perhaps a class could be formed around a single model and caliber rifle and it would make a place for people to shoot on a limited budget. If 20 people showed up with 223 Remington's or Savage's or what ever, that were all factory stock and the best agg won it could get interesting.

We may be looking at this backwards!

I've been going through old Super Shoot results looking through the competitor names. For the most part if they haven't passed away, they are either shooting short range benchrest or have moved into another shooting discipline. We are the feeder competition for Score, UBR, Long Range and Rimfire. Very few just quit shooting.

We are the shooting competition that feeds the others! We're just doing too good of a job!

Bart

How are the guys over at Rim Fire BR and other BR venues doing in regards to membership losses?

Don't know if any of those shooters have joined this discussion.

Glenn

Replying to Bart's thread...

I think you are "right-on-the-money". I can only speak for the St. Louis Club, but the 100-200 group matches are down a little, but Joe Fesi is working his rear end off to help it grow. "Fun money match" on Friday night, steak dinner on Saturday night, breakfast both days, + lunch both days. The filet, baked potato, and salad on Saturday night is worth the $20 food charge. Bench Rest ARA rimfire is down both at the local matches and the Nationals that are held here every year on Labor Day Weekend.
600 yard is doing great, as is "F" class.
Handgun "Run-and-Gun" is doing well.
Archery matches, about 2 a year, bring out 75+ shooters! Go Figure!
Hunter matches are down a little too, VFS seems to be holding it's own.

It's not about steak or potatoes.

Steak and potatoes.....Maybe you should use that for your handle instead of some pseudo name. Are you on a witness protection program or something? I've never seen jammer six on a match report.

As Ron said, Joe is trying some new things to bring in shooters. Good for him.

Also, don't forget all the things Doc Peterson has done over the years to promote the sport at Oak Hills.

There are a lot of folks promoting the sport, including the officers, directors, ect. of both organizations. Hat's off to them also.

I hate to say it, but the patient is terminal.

Later
Dave

Last edited:
I cant wait to go back to st louis. I love kelblys too. Any match they put on is top notch and usually packed with shooters.

Steak and potatoes.....Maybe you should use that for your handle instead of some pseudo name. Are you on a witness protection program or something? I've never seen jammer six on a match report.

As Ron said, Joe is trying some new things to bring in shooters. Good for him.

Also, don't forget all the things Doc Peterson has done over the years to promote the sport at Oak Hills.

There are a lot of folks promoting the sport, including the officers, directors, ect. of both organizations. Hat's off to them also.

I hate to say it, but the patient is terminal.

Later
Dave

Dave- hes mad because we dont use dillon presses and david tubb is not the top shooter in our sport. Hes never showed up- wish he would!

I cant wait to go back to st louis. I love kelblys too. Any match they put on is top notch and usually packed with shooters.

Ya' know, I love the big shoots, partly because they might make a little profit where the small clubs are great and have great shoots but it is more of a sacrifice for them.

I do appreciate the small club guys....if there were just some way of taking the extra work out of building and handling the backer setup required for group shooting.

At the used to be famous Bristol club, Kettlefoot, 5 years ago we spent over $85,000 to upgrade..now no one to run the matches.

Don't know if anyone is counting, but in the SE Region we have lost at least 12 clubs since about 1995. Another local club, Unaka, when I started shooting had 63 shooters, the most recent NBRSA shoot we had 12....

What a beautiful welcome!

Great post James. You are a great asset to this sport, as a competitor and as a writer.

Later
Dave

Hi all, I am new to the forum, in fact I am new to rifles, as I have been shooting (competively) only pistol for some 40 years. I'm starting to feel too old to keep a kilo of pistol hanging at the end of my arm, so I hope a long gun will make it a bit easier for me, although I understand the level of precision required is IMMENSELY higher with rifles. Humbly, I am trying to document myself and sort of naturally fell into thinking of benchrest, being the obsessive notpicker that I am. Reading the opening post of General Discussion warmed up my heart: sure it's a tough game, but I'm not counting on becoming a national champion at my third match. Rather I was looking for a bunch of like-minded people. It looks like I have found it, and a gruffly welcoming one at that. Thank you all for sharing your hard won knowledge: I hope to be able to use it to make, in my own small way, the game a little bit better.

Ya' know, I love the big shoots, partly because they might make a little profit where the small clubs are great and have great shoots but it is more of a sacrifice for them.

I do appreciate the small club guys....if there were just some way of taking the extra work out of building and handling the backer setup required for group shooting.

At the used to be famous Bristol club, Kettlefoot, 5 years ago we spent over $85,000 to upgrade..now no one to run the matches.

Don't know if anyone is counting, but in the SE Region we have lost at least 12 clubs since about 1995. Another local club, Unaka, when I started shooting had 63 shooters, the most recent NBRSA shoot we had 12....

Jerry,

The SE Region is down to the Shamrock and Riverbend! Who would have ever though! Back in the day ranges were fighting for dates and we had a shoot every two weeks somewhere in the region.

Bart

It's not about steak or potatoes.

Oh but sometimes it is about the "Steak and Potatoes". Building up Benchrest is more then finding new people to shoot it. You need to also keep the ones that you have. Joe Fesi and crew put on such a nice match you feel guilty for not going. Match numbers at St Louis are up because of Joe's efforts. Doesn't matter if you shoot good or not! You're going to have a good time.

The same can be said for Riverbend! Jim Andress and Bill Ditman put on a great friendly shoot. Charlie and Cheryl Hood feed us like kings. Great food and plenty of Camaraderie!

Bart

Last edited:
Hi all, I am new to the forum, in fact I am new to rifles, as I have been shooting (competively) only pistol for some 40 years. I'm starting to feel too old to keep a kilo of pistol hanging at the end of my arm, so I hope a long gun will make it a bit easier for me, although I understand the level of precision required is IMMENSELY higher with rifles. Humbly, I am trying to document myself and sort of naturally fell into thinking of benchrest, being the obsessive notpicker that I am. Reading the opening post of General Discussion warmed up my heart: sure it's a tough game, but I'm not counting on becoming a national champion at my third match. Rather I was looking for a bunch of like-minded people. It looks like I have found it, and a gruffly welcoming one at that. Thank you all for sharing your hard won knowledge: I hope to be able to use it to make, in my own small way, the game a little bit better.

This is the kind of person we need in this sport, not someone that expects a ribbon at every match for showing up.

Later
Dave

Back