Thomas's shoot three 750's at Holbrook's indoor benchrest match today!!

ModelA

Mike Niksch Thomas's had a good day today! At Holbrook's monthly indoor benchrest shoot.
Mark Normandin won LV class with his Thomas Mech.
250 13X, 250 17X, 250 11X, 750 41X BIPM & Scoreline

Paul Bendix won HV class Thomas Mech,
250 23X, 250 24X, 250 23X, 750 70X BIPM& Scoreline

David Shattuck second place in HV class with Thomas Mech
250 18X, 250 19X, 250 22X, 750 59X BIPM & Scoreline

Then I did pellet testing with my Hybrid Thomas and didn't do as well for the first miss of a 10 and several more.
Paul Bendix HY Thomas 248 16X, 249 17X, 247 10X, 744 43X Scoreline

David Shattuck shot his AA S400 in LV Class
247 8X, 246 7X, 250 14X , 743 29X Scoreline

Mark Normandin Raw HV 249. 19X, 249 16X, 248 11X , 746 46X Scoreline

Chris Sloan RAW HV 245 7X, 245 5X, 242 2X, 732 14X BIPM & Scoreline
242 3X, 241 8X, 244 7X, 727 18X Scoreline

Dan Brown tested barrels in his SUMO but was tethered so scores didn't count.
Paul's Mech Thomas
b3cda7adfa92b1d8cfb9d71ddb15d64d_zps660d2878.jpg

David Scoring Thanks for all the help.
a6b9cff399af72a1d1044104c13707fe_zpsd1e420b0.jpg

Mark's Thomas
5ee34d6bfa03d082a794d8d1b557cefb_zpsa7faeb7a.jpg

Paul's Thomas Hybrid in back, Mech in front.
2e3c325410ecdf77083503012d0d9e49_zps666d7147.jpg

See you Nov 1 for the next indoor match.

Paul Bendix

Last edited:
Great job, guys!

We'll just skip right over the 60x mark and drop the 70......why waste time? Nice shooting, Paul. :D

Mike

Paul,

Thanks for holding the match, and congratulations on setting the bar so high none of the rest of us mere mortals will ever better it. It was fun to watch your targets as you shot them, and then to have had the pleasure of scoring them afterwards was incredible.

I was happy to have finished out my LV Class with a 250, but then to have followed that up with 3 more was awesome. And it didn't hit me until after I got home that on my last target, the 250-22x, I had dropped the first 2 X's, then shot 22 straight before dropping the last X. Michael, you build a wicked awesome gun! And, Paul, thank you for letting me shoot it.

Mark,

Generally you would have been the one getting all the accolades as a 750-49X in the LV Class is almost beyond belief in itself, but today it was just overshadowed by that other score. Anyway, congratulations on such great shooting, and see you on the first.

Dave

Holy Cow !!!!

Holy Cow !!!!

Those scores are unbelievable (of course I believe them with Mr. Shattuck scoring).

Congratulations to all, including Michael Thomas for building what seems to be one hell of an air rifle, regardless of how it’s operated.

Paul Bendix 750 70x, that’s got to be a World Record, isn't it????

Brian

Brian,

No doubt about it, and one that should stand for at least 2 weeks until Paul sits at the bench again for our November match. It's always incredible when a shooter comes that close to cleaning any one card. But to watch it happen back-to-back-to-back was something totally different. You talk about being in the zone?

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome shooting!

Those are some dialed in air guns. I truely think Mike has the best ability to tune,tweek and set up an air gun there is. And it sure shows. Congrats to some great shooters who set new levels one after another.

Congrats Paul!!

A real pleasure watching you work towards the perfect match!!

Here's a view "down the lane" from the "Straw Man"
IMG_3449.jpg

Brian,

No doubt about it, and one that should stand for at least 2 weeks until Paul sits at the bench again for our November match. It's always incredible when a shooter comes that close to cleaning any one card. But to watch it happen back-to-back-to-back was something totally different. You talk about being in the zone?

Dave

Not to shabby yourself Dave, I reckon those scores have given the rest of the world something to think about.

Mr. Niksch is going to be a busy guy over the winter I think :)

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I've just got to throw in here for all of those who think only the best of everything has to be used to make a gun of this quality. Not necessarily so! Yes, the gun's overall quality is extremely high with its almost award winning fit and finish. And then by using one of Dan B's Super Barrels on it means Paul has one of the best barrels out there for delivering each shot, making this particular gun all the more impressive in its ability to place one pellet on top of the next, no doubt about that. But, keep in mind that this gun, the one Paul and I used to shoot those incredible scores, had the all-inspiring trigger and hammer/cocking mechanism straight off of the always desirable Benjamin Marauder, and not from an Annie as one would expect, or one of the other top-of-the-line gunmakers whose triggers alone cost more than an entire Marauder.

I found the trigger to be a tad on the heavy side, like probably 2 or 3 pounds, if not more. The trick was to get everything set where you wanted it, then start a slow and steady squeeze, or better said pull, and I do mean pull, until you reached lift-off. After a while the pellet would fly and the center-ring of each target would simply disappear before your eyes, shot after shot.

As a side note, Paul insisted I take 5 or 6 practice shots on a Sighter before he would start the match so I could "get use to" the trigger. To no surprise, the first shot took the center ring out - totally - and I said I was good-to-go. But Paul insisted I take a few more shots. So, with Dan B watching threw his own scope I continued, but after my second shot Dan's comment was that the hole didn't even become any more ragged in the least. And then again on the third, forth and fifth shots the same thing. Then, after the card when reviewing my target he had to ask which target had the 5 practice shots through it as it appeared no different than any of the other Sighters, all of which only had only a single pellet hole through them.

If there was one thing I walk away with yesterday it was: I now have absolutely no doubt as to the validity of the scores that Mike and his crew have been posting because, to be honest, up until now without actually having used one of his guns, and then to have posted a 750 (my first) 59X (again with the my first), plus having watched as Paul put the rest of us to shame, I did have my doubts. Mike, you are everything you claim to be, and I apologize for ever having doubted that. You are the man!

Now, let the orders commence.

Dave

Super shooting Paul

I believe that your score should have a few more X's. I would have preferred to use one the magnifying plugs with the laser etched concentric circles instead of my plug. Hopefully if your targets re-scored you may net more X's.
Dan

2 to 3 lb trigger needs some adjustment

I'm thankful you guys were able to overcome the heavy trigger feel while shooting. It can be set down to 3/4 oz or less with some adjustment. The front large hex head screw on the trigger group sounds like it has too much preload on it.

I'm really happy to see you guys shooting well with the guns. I could sense and tangibly feel the disbelief from everyone, and it was beginning to wear on me a bit. I was hoping to do better at Joe's and prove the gun's worth in front of others, but my own inexperience prevented that from being realized. It's nice that things came together at another match and showed the consistency and accuracy that these guns are typically capable of.

I have managed a fair number of 750 60 plus x counts this summer while shooting indoors......with the top being a 750 69x. Paul's 70 (or potentially more) will probably not fall too soon. Great job, Paul!

Mike

Congrats All!

Looks like the bar has been raised pretty high. Great score, wish I could have been there but we moved my shed and deck today. My home will be moved tomorrow.

Later,

Pete

Congratulations Gentlemen

Paul you sure did set the bar pretty darn high - Wow
and the rest of you did very well
good looking guns Mike

Paul's 70 (or potentially more) will probably not fall too soon. Mike

Mike,

I was serious when I said the record would stand for at least 2 weeks until our November 1st match when I'm fully expecting Paul to shoot that all illusive "Perfect" 25X target, and wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he also betters his 70X score. That gun is beyond awesome in every way. Just like a championship race horse just before the big race being ready to go. And in Paul's hands you could ask for a more deserving or gifted shooter. I just hope physically he feels up to the challenge when the day comes.

Dave

I'm thankful you guys were able to overcome the heavy trigger feel while shooting. It can be set down to 3/4 oz or less with some adjustment. The front large hex head screw on the trigger group sounds like it has too much preload on it.

I'm really happy to see you guys shooting well with the guns. I could sense and tangibly feel the disbelief from everyone, and it was beginning to wear on me a bit. I was hoping to do better at Joe's and prove the gun's worth in front of others, but my own inexperience prevented that from being realized. It's nice that things came together at another match and showed the consistency and accuracy that these guns are typically capable of.

I have managed a fair number of 750 60 plus x counts this summer while shooting indoors......with the top being a 750 69x. Paul's 70 (or potentially more) will probably not fall too soon. Great job, Paul!

Mike

Mike, Dave,
Trigger adj, when I had trigger problems and went through the trigger adj. I did play with the preload. When I finally got the M-Rod trigger Assembly far enough forward so the trigger didn't hit the trigger guard.
I never went back to adj. the preload. Ran about 100 pellets over the Chrony. With no problem. I will adj it back to under 1 OZ. You will be pleased when you shoot it again Nov. 1 at the next match.
I hope you will also shoot the electric THOMAS (HYBRID) to compare.

See you in two weeks.

Paul

Last edited:
Paul,

Sounds good to me, only this time I'll shoot my own pellets, straight from the tin, rather than exhaust your supply. And besides, since we both bought our pellets at the same time I'm assuming they'll be pretty close performance wise.

Dave

Congrats PAUL

An unbelievable performance Paul! Mike ,great units, I know there's a bunch more X's in my LV setup ( I just have to find them!) To really appreciate just how good those targets looked, a Club member stop by and when she saw one of the targets ask if a paper punch was being used! The truth is she was serious and could not believe it was shot with an airgun. Oh yeah that DanB custom barrel is not hurting the effort either.

Paul I hope you don't run out of that lot of pellets. November should be fun.

MarkN:cool:

Target pictures

Sent targets to Joe to verify but took pictures to post.
612394b33262dd14ee7e2f587c9d3a82_zps3206467f.jpg

4078259c6d5583478cd9e32c4125cd0e_zps35f3d87f.jpg

577327589dd724aa58f77590f60d774d_zps53dda028.jpg

Might be 750 70X ?
Shot with A Mike Niksch THOMAS Mechanical in HV class, 25 yards indoors at Holbrook Sportsmens Club monthly Airgun match.
Come join us Nov 1 for our next match.
Paul Bendix

Last edited:
JSB Monsters

Fantastic targets Paul, look good to me.

Just a point, you have put the pellet weight down as 14.3gr – were you not using JSB Monsters? I have these down as 13 .43 gr

Makes no difference, except to those with inquiring minds :D

Brian

Back