The Voyeur's Guide to Barrel Chambering

So like i have asked in the past if the reamer follows the bore anyway and i am using a floating reamer holder, how critical is it that my barrel is dialed in to .0001? To be quite honest i have been told my jet machine wont even hold this kind of tolerance? Lee
As to the tolerance of the reamed hole. if your setup is correct the reamer will determine how close, not the lathe. Now then, when you are turning or boring you are at the mercy of the lathes rigidity, tooling used, tool geometry, and your ability (yes your ability-to read the dial.). That said, you can experience some out-of-roundness depending on the spindle bearings accuracy and how they are adjusted.

To get closer than about 0.002" on a lathe you generally turn to slightly larger then file and polish to the desired size.

Trust me, your little Jet will do close enough work to barrel benchrest rifles as long as you make the proper setup.

Trust me on this too, that expensive Kennametal insert tooling an that small lathe is over kill. Most carbide inserts, by the nature of the powdered metallurgy they are made, have a slight radius or k-land at the very cutting edge. Small lathes do not like that!!! They need SHARP. properly ground HSS or HSS-CO bits to get maximum accuracy and best finish.

This is not a good picture but it will give you the general idea.

Jerry please dont think i am questioning you on this sir, but how can the best not be the best? I do plan to buy some HS tooling for sure. I figure that would be best to learn with. My dad is a man of few words, and i told him that i here kennametal is overkill, and with very few words he disagreed. Me not knowing much about this yet, i cant argue. I guess we will have to see. I do appreciate the info as always. Lee

To utilize the advantages of Carbide, you will need heavier feed rates and spindle speed. I get much better finishes with HSS. I'm not in a hurry as I'm doing my personal stuff. Yes I have a lot of carbide tooling and carbide thread tooling, but I prefer HSS for chamber work.
Butch

Thanks fellas, we will be sure to try both. My father is somewhat stubborn but also at the same time very professional and maticulas Sometimes in life as we all know the proof is in the pudding! I wont be able to change his mind one bit, but perhaps the tools will. thanks again! Lee

Maticulas- must not be a real word as my spell check does not recognize it. Either that or i am saying wrong???????

Maticulas- must not be a real word as my spell check does not recognize it. Either that or i am saying wrong???????

From Merriam Webster
maticulas-
The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.

From Merriam Webster
maticulas-
The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.

Meticulous is the word you're wanting. Pretty well descriptive of what it takes to build highly accurate rifles time after time.

Jerry, maybe he read Francis' post & is just trying to be kind to us Southerners. Got the first syllable right anyway ...

Charles, at least he got the right em-PHAS-ys on the right syl-ABLE.

Meticulous is the word you're wanting. Pretty well descriptive of what it takes to build highly accurate rifles time after time.

Mike, that is why I think we get a greater percentage of good barrels today! Meticulousity!!

Come on fellas i am always a nice guy!! Just cant spell for chit!!! LOL!!! Off to shoot some boolets!! Have a great day! Lee

Back