The Tack Driver Showdown sponsored by IBS

The IBS is sponsoring a fun shoot: The Tack Driver on November 14, 2020 at the Mid-Carolina Gun Club in Orangeburg, SC. We are inviting virtually any type of rifle to compete at 300 meters for group and score. Maximum of 120 shooters. You do not have to be a member of IBS to shoot. The match will be conducted under IBS competition and safety rules. I want to thank Jim Cline for stepping up and offering Mid-Carolina Gun Club for the inaugural Tack Driver. One item of import is that there will be TWO divisions: Bolt and Gas. So semiauto shooters will see how they stack up against the bolt BR rifles, but compete in their own division.

We envision on the line the full array of the World's Most Accurate Rifles: short and long range benchrest rifles, F-Class, AR, other tactical, egg shoot rifles, whatever...not many rules. Semiautos will need chamber flags, otherwise bolts out all all times. All shooting from bench, either rests or bipod. But no return to battery or rail guns. We are still working out the "rules" but likely no more than 22 pounds.

There will be a 1/3 payback to the shooters plus a cash option ($60-$80 entry fee, still working on). My early discussions with those in the industry, leads to me believe we will have lots of prizes too.

MUCH more to come. This is a work in progress, and we are working out the details. This is something TOTALLY new, so hang on - and be a little patient.

Jeff Stover, IBS President

Attachments

• The Tackdriver Logo Image.jpg
    The Tackdriver Logo Image.jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 674
Last edited:
This promises to be

about as enduring as the AR class was I'd say. To old farts like me, a total waste of band width.

Pete

Jeff, this seems a lot like the clay break matchs we have down here.

What is the course of fire? By the title “Tackdriver”, I would assume you have to actually hit something.

It will be either three or four group targets and the same number of score targets.

Just got word from Vapor Trail bullets that they are kicking in $1,000 into the payback!!

Yes, 2020 and not 2010. :)

Pete, this is NOTHING like my attempt to start an AR class. Yes, semis are welcome, and some may, since they will be in a different division compare to purpose-built bolt bench guns. We are shooting 300 meter IBS group and Score targets. Some have suggested to me that the 600 yard rifles will beat the 6PPCs at 330 yards. Maybe, maybe not. We are trying to inject some fun, some buzz, and energy into benchrest shooting. Accurateshooter.com will be tooting the horn of The Tack Driver too, so we will have very wide PR in the accuracy community. Jack Neary, of the Capstone Precision Group (Lapua, VihtaVouri and Berger) has pledged his full support and good offices. Vapor Trail is in. So, no, it is not a waste of bandwidth. Our sport needs a pulse.

Jeff

Last edited:
It will be either three or four group targets and the same number of score targets.

Just got word from Vapor Trail bullets that they are kicking in $1,000 into the payback!!

Pete, this is NOTHING like my attempt to start an AR class. Yes, semis are welcome, and some may, since they will be in a different division compare to purpose-built bolt bench guns. We are shooting 300 meter IBS group and Score targets. Some have suggested to me that the 600 yard rifles will beat the 6PPCs at 330 yards. Maybe, maybe not. We are trying to inject some fun, some buzz, and energy into benchrest shooting. Accurateshooter.com will be tooting the horn of The Tack Driver too, so we will have very wide PR in the accuracy community. Jack Neary, of the Capstone Precision Group (Lapua, VihtaVouri and Berger) has pledged his full support and good offices. Vapor Trail is in. So, no, it is not a waste of bandwidth. Our sport needs a pulse.

Jeff

I would bet on a good tuned 30BR.:cool:

Any particular reason not to shoot five targets of each type? That would be more attractive to at least one person whom I know.

Jim Cline and I are probably going to make it a 2 day affair and increase the number of targets. Prob five per day (not set in stone) We need a couple of weeks to get all the details worked out. We are going to 2-days due to feedback. All parties cannot be satisfied but we want to make The Tack Driver attractive.

jks

Sounds like

a very interesting format that undoubtedly will be challenging and fun to shoot.

Attached are the rules and preregistration form

Limited to the first 160 guns!

Attachments

• 2020 Tack Driver Showdown.pdf
    87.1 KB · Views: 507
  • Tack Driver pre-registration.pdf
    264.4 KB · Views: 413
For a number of years we have held an informal Score shoot here in Utopia, TX using basically this format. We hold the shoot in mid January and hence call it the Freezer because you just do not know what the weather may offer. We shoot the 200 yard score target placed at 300 yards. The extra 100 yards will humble you.
Our shoot started out as a .22 centerfire match but has morphed into a run what you brung match. We have no weight limit. After a number of years, no one has managed a 250 score. We have been close but never perfect.
Since it is pretty informal, we do have a couple of interesting rules.
1. You get one mulligan shot for the entire match.
2. If anyone is getting too serious about the match, we refer them to the head jokester for an attitude adjustment.

Joe

Jeff

If I'm wrong about this, Ill say so, I always do.

Pete

Back