The new 115gr. 30 caliber Bergers

mturner

I just recieved some for testing today, but we had a real gully washer. I measured them and they look really good, better than any I've measured in the past. Has anyone else done any testing yet? What kind of results are you seeing. This bullet looks very promising, and may become more popular than the 110 and 125 gr Bergers.

Michael

I haven't received any yet, but I am told they are on their way. I am hoping they will be here today so I can use them at Harrison tomorrow in a real match. I am very hopeful for these bullets, since they have a little more weight, an 8 ogive vs. 7 ogive and they have a slightly smaller metplat than the bullets I have been using, which are themselves very good. Larry

I got mine yesterday. Will try to shoot them tomorrow.

First Test

Ok, I guess nobody else has tested yet, or they're keeping the results to themselves. My first group was a .190", my second a .083", my third was a big .249" and my fourth a .182". Started to sprinkle, so I'm done for the day. It was interesting to see that it took the forth or fifth shot to really see a real change after the first shot. The three smaller groups were 41.0gr of 2015. The .249" was 38.0gr of H4198SC, and it was a little to hot with the group being mostly vertical. I normally shoot 38.5gr behind the 110gr. Backing it down half a grain for the 115gr was not enough. Probably since this is a fatter bullet on the shank also. All loads were tested with the new HV 30-30 which has a 18" twist Krieger.

By the way, I know .249" isn't really big. I think any group of 1/4" or smaller could be considered a keeper at a match. It's just that the conditions were winds 0-1mph if even that much with sun setting, zero mirage, 60 degrees.

Michael

Last edited:
Francis got his bullets in the mail this week, yesterday I was at his house and did some measuring on them. The presure rings were vere consistant at .3084, the body was very consistant at .3081, and the weights were all 115.1 grains. The length overall was within a few thousandths at or about .947 long. He hasn't fired any yet, but he is retired and should get a chance this week, while I'm working. They look good and as Larry said, the 8 ogive should be an improvement.

Paul

Michael;
Do you headspace the 30-30 on the case mouth or the shoulder??

Mike Swartz

Michael;
Do you headspace the 30-30 on the case mouth or the shoulder??

Mike Swartz

I keep the headspace on the rim to between .001"-.002". Then I never bump the shoulder, so I get zero headspace. I can get away without bumping the shoulder on a 30-30 because of the thin brass and 15 degree shoulder angle, the bolt doesn't get tight. There is also no need for a FL sizer. You just ring die the base and collet die the neck. It's the easiest brass to maintain of all. The brass I'm shooting these days is the same brass I shot during club matches in 1999. I should replace it since it's been fired about 30-35 times.

Michael

I just recieved some for testing today, but we had a real gully washer. I measured them and they look really good, better than any I've measured in the past. Has anyone else done any testing yet? What kind of results are you seeing. This bullet looks very promising, and may become more popular than the 110 and 125 gr Bergers.

Michael

I got mine friday,i plan to test them this weekend.
They measure very good and the weight is 115.1 and about 40 of them were 115.1
so i stopped weighing and measuring.
i'm gonna shoot them in 2 barrels,one is a 17 twist and also gonna shoot them at 2700-2800 fps in a 10 twist unlimited barrel at longer range.

Rhaney

I got mine friday,i plan to test them this weekend.
They measure very good and the weight is 115.1 and about 40 of them were 115.1
so i stopped weighing and measuring.
i'm gonna shoot them in 2 barrels,one is a 17 twist and also gonna shoot them at 2700-2800 fps in a 10 twist unlimited barrel at longer range.

What did yours mic at the pressure ring and the shank? The others measured them at .3084" pressure ring, .3081" shank. I'm asking because I measured mine to be .3086" PR and .3083" SK.

Michael

Last edited:
Back