The IBS Scoring Reticle

Wayne Shaw

We used the new reticle at Fairfax yesterday for the first time. Our scorer, Larry Wright was quite happy with it, and we invited any shooter that wanted to see how it worked to have a look. There was a couple of occassions where the referees were called for a scoring judgement, and none were complaining.

Time will tell, but it certainly appears it is a much better tool in determining bullet placement, over the plug.

Reticle vs. plug

Living where I do, I get to compete in both IBS and NBRSA tournaments. As a referee having used both plugs (IBS) and the reticle (NBRSA), I can tell you that the reticle is by far the fairest way of scoring a target.

Thumbs up to the IBS for going to the reticle. :cool: -Al

will we see....

We used the new reticle at Fairfax yesterday for the first time. Our scorer, Larry Wright was quite happy with it, and we invited any shooter that wanted to see how it worked to have a look. There was a couple of occassions where the referees were called for a scoring judgement, and none were complaining.

Time will tell, but it certainly appears it is a much better tool in determining bullet placement, over the plug.

a petition at the BUD????? for the reticle????

How does one go about buying one? No mention on the IBS web site that I can find other than in the rule book that one must use it.

Al bought one and we've been using it in Harrison this year. Being naturally suspicious of new gadgets, I checked it with plugs for a while. Stopped doing that some time ago. We like the new one and now use only it.

Dick Wright

It probably won't be a surprise to hear me say that I don't agree. The reason I say this is there is no training that goes with the reticule and we expect everyone to be referees and to make judgments correctly on targets. Having Reffed a number of targets over the years the reticule has been in use, I have seen folks be flat wrong about what they thought they saw. To me, this is no way to proceed with something as important as scoring. Are we saying that we are willing to accept people being wrong about scoring simply because they haven't been trained in the use of the reticule?

Now I know I am going to hear a bunch of people say that using the reticule is as easy as breathing but I believe that to be wrong. At a minimum there should be simple instructions handed to Reffs before they begin to use the Reticule. It's use is not intuative.

...At a minimum there should be simple instructions handed to Reffs before they begin to use the Reticule. It's use is not intuative.

Pete,
Just curious, what would be on these instructions that you hand out?

Cheers,
Keith

Keith,

That is a good question because I read the instructions that came in the box of a borrowed one and found them to be somewhat cryptic. The problems I see are with irregular holes, say one has an eliptical hole with two hard edges at 12 anr 6 oclock, What does one do about judging the other two sides if they arein some craxy configuration? There are a number of scanarios one can come up with that are not covered by the instructions that come with the reticule.

How about the person who has not read the cryptic instructions, which are most folks? Many times there are bullet holes that are not perfectly round. Judgment comes into play now. Wouldn't it make some kind of sence that everybody's judgment was based on the same paramaters?

We have used the reticle for scoring the Gallatin matches since day one. Personally, I have felt that it is more fair and consistent than the plug. Most, but not all of those who shoot there would probably agree. While we frequently get the opinions of all three refs, we have had little problem making a decision. It's not a perfect system, but until we can come up with a better one, this seems to work.

Rick

Rick, I thought you were in Florida visting your daughter, what are you doing burning up the web, pray tell?:D

Dan Honert

The reticles work great and allow as many "looks" at a bullet hole as you want or need without altering the target.

Everyone knows to use the outside edge of the scribed circle, right? And everybody knows that the reticle should be as close to centered over the bullet hole, no matter what shape the tear in the paper is? On a really close call, one that is nearly an "X", or nearly a "Ten", I center the reticle over the bullets hole in the paper then I move the EDGE of the scribed circle to the EDGE of the "X" or "Ten" and see know how the bullet hole is not centered any longer. Doing it that way can shed some light on how far off a bullet is, or how far good a bullet is.

Paul

Rick, I thought you were in Florida visting your daughter, what are you doing burning up the web, pray tell?:D

Dan Honert

Hey Dan,
I am in St Augustine and have l;ittle more to do than cook and drink some adult beverages. As always my day starts with a visit to the board. The only difference is that my connection is sloooooow.
Oh well, another day in paradise .
Rick

Unfortunately Paul, I don't think everyone who uses it KNOWS what you have written. I have never heard anyone give anyone else instructions on using the reticule.

I ordered a reticule before the season began and still don't have it. I have borrowed one from another club all year so far. This is not a hill I want to die on, this reticule use hill here so I am going to let it go. I do find it interesting folks are so cavalier about scoring though. Perhaps that is why the Records Committee sometimes doesn't agree with other scorers.

Last edited:
Back