The Great Ammo Drought

what I mean is, as i stated earlier, the guys that are camping out and waiting till the stores open each day...buying every bit of ammo...then going online, to flea markets, to gun shows, to other shops....and reselling for a profit. They don't buy ammo to shoot or hoard or store or anything OTHER than to flip it at an elevated prices that continually propagates the insane prices we're currently seeing.

The prices wouldn't be that high if people weren't paying them. How about powder? It's hard to find powder of any kind. Where does that demand come from? Has there been a dramatic increase in the number of people who reload? There are a lot of strange dynamics in the shooting market right now and I don't think anyone has a good handle on it. The current administration did scare the bejeebers out of a lot of people and they started buying guns just to have them. Then you have the guy in Homeland Security who has a web site encouraging blacks to prepare for war against the white race. How many gun sales does that generate?

We do live in interesting times.

I think

The prices wouldn't be that high if people weren't paying them. How about powder? It's hard to find powder of any kind. Where does that demand come from? Has there been a dramatic increase in the number of people who reload? There are a lot of strange dynamics in the shooting market right now and I don't think anyone has a good handle on it. The current administration did scare the bejeebers out of a lot of people and they started buying guns just to have them. Then you have the guy in Homeland Security who has a web site encouraging blacks to prepare for war against the white race. How many gun sales does that generate?

Lots of folks are buying up components for fear of government restrictions in this area too. We are living in troubling times where the clearly written constitution is being ignored by too many.

sadly...powder and primers have gone the same way that loaded ammo has...people are buying JUST to resale.. I've seen so many guys buy up the 8lb jugs of varget around here, just to sale...a lot of them are rimfire or shotgun shooters only. But, honestly, powder and primers were never hard to get around here. I haven't had a single problem finding lots of either locally. RL15 has been the hardest to find, but it's around if you just feel like driving.

Getting Better

Just returned from a browsing trip to the Fort Worth Cabela's. Many more primers available now as well as lots of centerfire ammo, .223 etc. Primers were around $39 a thousand. Salesman said that was up around $5 since before the surge. Lots of AR style rifles available. Maybe the worst is over.

Went to Walmart about 8:30 AM, they had about 20 boxes of Win. 22LR Super X. I got my 3 boxes finished shopping and checked back, no .22 LR.
Cost was $7.17 per 100 round box plus tax. Patience has paid off and the grandkids can now shoot with my supervision, I only allow them to hunt
and shoot targets, not just make noise.

This isn't new

What's going on here isn't new, it's just new to this arena. Commodity traders buy and sell contracts for anticipated profit. In their case they never take possession of the contract product. whether it's beans, corn, oil, or pork bellies. At least in our case the traders actually take possession of the product. I've always been skeptical about commodity trading as it seems to do no more than add to the price of the product. Same thing with short selling on the stock exchange. How on earth can you sell something you don't own or have? Too many arcane games set up in the financial arena that don't provide any benefit to the end consumer.

Back