The Factory Side

Lots of good comments, most of which I agree with. My intent with a Factory class is not to develop a class for someone to shoot in for years, but rather a developmental class where shooters will whet their appetite to move up. No problem with staying in a Factory class, but most will want to shoot there a season or so to test their skills, get a feel for the game, and learn how to tell the spouse you now need a "new" gun.

And the money is unavoidable. I'm not aware of many inexpensive competitive or recreational sports. Heck, my neighbor's ATV's and boats would buy me six new custom BR rigs. My buddy has about as much tied up in his golfing as a good rifle, etc., etc. There are just some things that can't be done at a competitive level inexpensively. In fact, some of the hunters at my club paid more for their "elk rifle" than I did for my Borden rig. Lots of times a "can't afford it" attitude comes from what else one chooses to spend their time and money on.

Last edited:
My hats off to everyone that participated in this thread, for the first time in a long time, there were good points brought out and discussed and the know-it-all's and the doom-say'ers stayed out of it.......

Although a Sako wins quite a bit

Greyfox,

Although a Sako wins quite a bit

When you say a Sako wins quite a bit, are you talking about one specific model Sako, single shot in 6PPC or 22PPC?
Thanks,
Dave T

Greyfox,

When you say a Sako wins quite a bit, are you talking about one specific model Sako, single shot in 6PPC or 22PPC?
Thanks,
Dave T

Dave,
John Kruzan shoots a single shot Sako 6PPC. He has had two and both shoot very well. I bought one of them from him before last season and shot it for the year, but couldn't manage to drive it as well as he does. I moved it down the road to some one who could shoot it better. John usually wins when he comes to the matches, but Joey Gregory is a very close 2nd and wins quite a bit. Joey started with a Savage 1-12" 6BR, but is now shooting a 1-8" twist and after about 300 rounds it starting shooting very well. He out shot several in Custom class at our last two matches.

Rick

One of the advantages of the Savage and the Cooper is that it can continue to be a factory through multiple barrels. Shoot out the barrel in the Sako and it's done as a factory.

One of the advantages of the Savage and the Cooper is that it can continue to be a factory through multiple barrels. Shoot out the barrel in the Sako and it's done as a factory.

Our experience here is that is probably has more to do with the shooter than the rifle, although you have to start with aan accurate rifle. Joey Gregory has competed in Factory Class for the better part of three years. He started with a Savage 204 Ruger and won with it from time to time. He continued to win with the 6BR 12" twist and does so with the new 8" twist. John K has won with both sako's and even though I'm not bad, I couldn't manage the stock style of the Sako. The first two years Factory Class SSOY was won by a Remington 700 .223. A Cooper 6BR holds a couple of yardage records shot by Chester Bradford who wins quite a bit in Custom Class as well.

It seems to be that folks have the idea that there are those who will spend considerable funds to win in factory Class. We haven't seen that at all. Some of our regulars are quite content to compete in that class and others want something more accurate and choose to buy a custom rifle. Personally, I don't call that "moving up". It's just a change or an addition. I compete in all 4 classes and for me Factory Class is the most difficult for several reasons. You must acquire an accurate rifle, which is a crapshoot, then you must develope an accurate load and then you must use a stock design that is more suited to hunting than competition. I admire those who can shoot with precision using one of these rifles.

UBR has opened opportunities for people to compete on whatever level they choose. When I recieve inquiries I can comfortably tell the caller that he may bring his most accurate rifle and we will have a class for him to shoot. We have new shooters who bring hunting rifles as well as folks who shot benchrest matches years ago and still have an old PPC in their safe. We recently had a fellow who has been to the Super Shoot many times, but has been away from the game for several years. He has already started kicking out butts. :mad:

Rick

SGJennings and Greyfox,
Yes Mr. kruzen is the gentleman I was referring to and also the gun I was asking about. I have the same Sako that John shoots and have shot it in a UBR match here in WV and I didn't do too bad. I love the UBR format and I love the targets and I also really really like that you all don't penalize someone because we have a Sako or a Cooper, which are both factory guns, there is nothing custom about a Cooper, but they do shoot. I have shot in local club matches and was not allowed to shoot my Sako and I never could understand that. To compete in any kind of bench rest shooting you do have to have a gun that shoots, but the best gun on the line isn't worth the worst gun on the line if you can't judge wind and use proper technique, but you all know this. Now I have to go get loaded up for my UBR match at Braxton County West By God Virginia this Sunday. Hope to meet all you folks at a UBR match soon.
Dave T

I think the caveat here is that is must be re-barreled by the manufacturer and either have the factory barrel markings or a letter from the manufacturer stating that they did the work. Rick, Danny, or someone that knows for certain, please correct me or confirm this is the case, to clarify.

SGJennings and Greyfox,
Yes Mr. kruzen is the gentleman I was referring to and also the gun I was asking about. I have the same Sako that John shoots and have shot it in a UBR match here in WV and I didn't do too bad. I love the UBR format and I love the targets and I also really really like that you all don't penalize someone because we have a Sako or a Cooper, which are both factory guns, there is nothing custom about a Cooper, but they do shoot. I have shot in local club matches and was not allowed to shoot my Sako and I never could understand that. To compete in any kind of bench rest shooting you do have to have a gun that shoots, but the best gun on the line isn't worth the worst gun on the line if you can't judge wind and use proper technique, but you all know this. Now I have to go get loaded up for my UBR match at Braxton County West By God Virginia this Sunday. Hope to meet all you folks at a UBR match soon.
Dave T

The Nats are at Gallatin this year. It should be great. I hope to see you there.

I think the caveat here is that is must be re-barreled by the manufacturer and either have the factory barrel markings or a letter from the manufacturer stating that they did the work. Rick, Danny, or someone that knows for certain, please correct me or confirm this is the case, to clarify.

Yep. Sorry. I should have been clear.

bullets in a .308 by about the third paper he shot, but I'll say this: Not one of the "benchrest" shooters had any more fun than he did.

Back