The difference between an import lathe and an American made machine. Pics up!

skeetlee

I was having some trouble getting my tail-stock dialed in and keeping it dialed in. Every time i went to dial the tail stock in it was all out of whack. I couldn't figure out what the heck was happening. i first though it was my floor moving, but when i put the levels on the ways everything was fine. i then thought it was the technique i was using to dial the tail stock in. I just didnt have the time in or the experience to figure it out. I finally had enough of the scratching my head, and i asked dad to help me out. He played around with the tail stock for a minute and said " something isnt right here" I said, " i know" We finally just took the tail stock apart, and this is what we found.
tailstock005.jpg

tailstock006.jpg

The good news is dad says he can fix it. He is machining a new dovetail piece to replace the broken piece. I thought maybe we could just weld the bad areas up and re-machine to make the dovetail true. The problem there is, we don't really know what type of metal this thing is made of, and we are not sure we can weld it properly. We also noticed that the base plate is warped. It tetars(SP) on the ways, so know pops will have to fix that.
I do like my machine, and i am glad to own it, but sometimes i wish i had an American made machine. This lathe runs pretty true and it didn't cost an arm and a leg, i just wish the seals didn't leak oil all over the place, and that it weighed a little more. I also wish it had a heavier base. All things considered, it isnt a bad machine, and im glad to own it. These type od things are a bit frustrating though.
I though some of you guys might find this interesting. thanks for looking. Lee

You might also notice all the red oil that has leaked out of the gear box. I need to find the seal and replace it.
Click on the bottom picture. It should show you a video. Let me know if it works. Just left click the last picture. thanks again.

Last edited:
Call Dick Triemstra to get a good lathe. As for American made Lathes Rockwell is a good lathe. They stopped making them in the late 70's. M

Has anyone else had any issues such as mine with import machines? I just cant believe the metal on the dovetail is so soft. If its even metal! Lee

I had the same issue with a Chinese lathe. I fixed it before I sold the machine but don't remember exactly what I did. The material is a really soft cast iron. If you cinch down the adjustment screw it crumbles.

I think i will try to find a new base plate. Dad says he can fix it, but it looks like a lot of work to me. Lee

I don't know how you can possibly do good work with that base plate warped like that. Probably very poor quality cast iron.

I do a lot of my work inside the Steel mills here in and around the Detroit area.

While many argue that the (cheaper) import lathes, mills and other machinery are built to the same tolerances as our American made machines, there are other things not being said. Even if the ways are just as clean, even if the surface finish on the bearings, gears, and Gibs are just as smooth, even if the tolerances all around are as tight, or even built with the same types of machines used here.... The foreign Steel itself is the weak link. Here at US Steel, Severstal North America, and Mital Steel, our Steel production is held to the highest Standards in the world, and always have been. Our USA made lathes, mills, saws, grinders etc. for that reason alone stand to last longer than the Ones built on the west side of the Pacific Rim, no matter what country. If for no other reason than the quality of the Base Material.

Paul

I have only chambered one new barrel with this lathe before i realized something wasn't right. I chambered up some old barrels and did a few set backs, but only one new barrel. No matter the situation I would zero the tail stock before i started, and then i guess i just assumed it would stay zeroed. i now know that wasnt the case. With my floating pusher, i would have to brake the tail stock loose, then back the reamer out to clean chips. Surprisingly enough, that one new barrel that i did chamber with the lathe tail stock this away, shoots like a dream. How is that possible? Maybe i just got lucky? Maybe it was the floating reamer pusher? I dont know!! It sure shoots though. Dad has since re-machines the base for the tail stock and cut in a new center section so all is fine. I do however wonder what will be the next thing to brake. I mean, the freaking tail stock is as important as any other part on the machine. If the they cant even make the tail stock properly what else isnt made properly? With all that said, i am still grateful to have my own machine, and it will chamber a shooting barrel, so i will just keep on keeping on for a while. Maybe in a couple years if the crops grow i will treat myself to a better machine. Lee

While many argue that the (cheaper) import lathes, mills and other machinery are built to the same tolerances as our American made machines, there are other things not being said. Even if the ways are just as clean, even if the surface finish on the bearings, gears, and Gibs are just as smooth, even if the tolerances all around are as tight, or even built with the same types of machines used here.... The foreign Steel itself is the weak link. Here at US Steel, Severstal North America, and Mital Steel, our Steel production is held to the highest Standards in the world, and always have been. Our USA made lathes, mills, saws, grinders etc. for that reason alone stand to last longer than the Ones built on the west side of the Pacific Rim, no matter what country. If for no other reason than the quality of the Base Material.

Paul

I agree in principle, Paul, and I personally use a 13" South Bend for gunsmithing, but I am unaware of any manual lathes currently being manufactured in the U.S.

I have only chambered one new barrel with this lathe before i realized something wasn't right. I chambered up some old barrels and did a few set backs, but only one new barrel. No matter the situation I would zero the tail stock before i started, and then i guess i just assumed it would stay zeroed. i now know that wasnt the case. With my floating pusher, i would have to brake the tail stock loose, then back the reamer out to clean chips. Surprisingly enough, that one new barrel that i did chamber with the lathe tail stock this away, shoots like a dream. How is that possible?

With a floating pusher the tail stock alignment, within limits of course, has nothing to do with your chamber quality. It's just a source of push. As long as it can't push sideways on the reamer, the reamer is guiding itself.

Maybe i just got lucky? Maybe it was the floating reamer pusher?

The floating pusher.

I dont know!! It sure shoots though. Dad has since re-machines the base for the tail stock and cut in a new center section so all is fine. I do however wonder what will be the next thing to brake. I mean, the freaking tail stock is as important as any other part on the machine. If the they cant even make the tail stock properly what else isnt made properly? With all that said, i am still grateful to have my own machine, and it will chamber a shooting barrel, so i will just keep on keeping on for a while. Maybe in a couple years if the crops grow i will treat myself to a better machine. Lee

Lee, it is what it is.

You have already discovered you can chamber rifles that shoot like a dream with it. It does what you bought it for. So buy barrels and make rifles that shoot like a dream. When they don't, and it's the lathe that is the problem, get a different one. Until then, remember the goal is accuracy, not lathes.

Fitch

I agree in principle, Paul, and I personally use a 13" South Bend for gunsmithing, but I am unaware of any manual lathes currently being manufactured in the U.S.

That is not to say that good Used USA Manufacture Lathes Can't be found. That's all I'm trying to say.

Paul

Fitch
I hear what your saying, and i agree to a point. My hole gripe has to do more with the working class Americans, and the sate of this country. Its a dam shame that we have to rely on china made products, just so we can afford to even have a lathe. It didnt used to be like this. Government regulations, government trade agreements, and government taxes, have destroyed this countries industrial might!
I have a Bridgeport mill in my shop that is several years old. i would just about bet that the man who bought this machine new, made the same amount of money as i do now, and i bet that the mill cost the same as my china made lathe. I would also just about bet, that i wont have any issues like i have had with my lathe, with that Bridgeport mill.
Like i said above, I do like my machine. I am proud to own it. i worked a lot of hard hours to buy it. I like working hard for the things i have. And yes The machine will produce accurate shooting barrels. I just hate that its not made in this country. I cant also keep from wondering, whats going to brake next. Lee

a good seal can be made of a manilla foder unless it is o-ring type.

Back