The 222 Remington

Update

I made it out to the range and H322, BLC-2, and benchmark did not do very well.

IMR 4198 was far the best load and would shoot .6s-.5s in the cold weather conditions, with a slight cross wind..

I think it will shoot!!!!

Best powders I've tried Hodgdon Benchmark and Accurate 2015.

Round is more finicky than .223 rem Likes Milder primers CCI Br4.

OAL start place 2.16"OAL or 2.135"OAL

Winchester or Federal Brass Thinner Brass is better.

50grain seems to shoot score targets best.

Best Groups 52gr match.

Also trim overall length of brass each time. Brass grows more than .223.

Start load development say .5 grains below book levels.

The Duce

I made it out to the range and H322, BLC-2, and benchmark did not do very well.

IMR 4198 was far the best load and would shoot .6s-.5s in the cold weather conditions, with a slight cross wind..

I think it will shoot!!!!

Not supprising ... Your shoot'n in a FREEZER!:D
The "slower" powders WILL show their stuff in the summer (4895)...

No mention of wind flags.... Jason, I'm tell'n ya if you cant SEE the wind, you'll NEVER know what the heck IS going on... If you want to shoot small and your equiptment IS capable, got get at least 3 for 100/200 shooting.

Shoot the little 40gr plastic tip bullets from the various makers... ZIP and accurate!

The Duce is my Fav! Gotta love that little guy!

Trust me my friend, flags will open your eyes and tight'n your groups.
cale

Not supprising ... Your shoot'n in a FREEZER!:D
The "slower" powders WILL show their stuff in the summer (4895)...

No mention of wind flags.... Jason, I'm tell'n ya if you cant SEE the wind, you'll NEVER know what the heck IS going on... If you want to shoot small and your equiptment IS capable, got get at least 3 for 100/200 shooting.

Shoot the little 40gr plastic tip bullets from the various makers... ZIP and accurate!

The Duce is my Fav! Gotta love that little guy!

Trust me my friend, flags will open your eyes and tight'n your groups.
cale

Yes I agree, I did not take the time to put flags out, as was justy in load development, but IMR 4198 is still top powder in my gun!

I love the Duce myself one of my favs

222 loads

Hi,
I have an old 222 Rem 40x with a 27 1/2 in barrel. It likes 40 Nosler bt's and rl7 powder with cci br primers. Group size( 5 shot) measures outside of the edges of the bullet holes average around .310 of an inch. Not bad for a 40 year old rifle with 1000's or rounds through it.

It's kind of nice reading about all these old .222's. It was the first caliber I shot when we first started Benchrest in Western Canada in the early 70's. The .222 and the old 6 x 47 and the .308 (hunter class) were the three dominant ones.

I built a few gopher guns using the small Sako action with a medium heavy barrel and a 10 power scope.... not a benchrest rifle but they would agg in the .300's easily. A local fellow Terry McCracken was making benchrest bullets at that time. They were as good as any custom maker and dominated most of our matches.

Win748 and BLC2 were the 2 powders I used most of the time in the 222 with Remington 7 1/2 primers.

222 remington

20.5 imr 4198 50 baltip ( or 52 or 53 berger) lapua bras

112 Savage Series J 222

I just bought a 112 Savage Series J 222 from a friend and was curious what you all thought about this rifle....How do they shoot? Thanks

222 savage j rifle

Congrats, on getting your .222!
I've looked at the rifles like your savage in .222 several times down the years, and I was always a dollar short.
I LIKE THEM and I've read from others that said they are great shooters, nice heavy stock, and I think if you load it like some of the advice in this thread, you will get great groups!
I think they also have decently adjustable triggers too, got to be careful not to get the sear engagement too light & get slam fires, like with anything else.
Bib's 52's & Gentner's 52's are my favorites, as said earlier jammed over sierra manual charge of imr-4895.
MY SAKO 75V & 40-xbr also shoot the std. hornady 53 grain match HP real well.
Steve

Thanks for the info!! Would it be as good as the Sako's and remington's out there you wonder?? I am going to start reloading my own stuff here shortly and see how it does

112 j 222 savage

Jason, I'd be surprised if that rifle won't group in the same range as my sako & the rem's you mentioned.
That's a good rifle, if it's the one model I'm thinking of, heavy barrell & big heavy wood stock, & possibly sort of "peened" areas on pistol grip & forearm instead of actual checkering?
Sitting here, not being sure the care it's had since new, the first things to be sure of are a good crown, decent trigger, clean clean clean bore at least one time, being careful not to hurt the chamber end or crown with cleaning rod, assume you know about rod guides & how to clean a bore properly, lot of people don't, so you know it's not all fouled & full in the bore, then when you begin reloading, you can get a ton of great advice on this forum.
If you like, email me at slong@hy-vee.com if you don't have a reloading guru to help you out.
Unless you have a bonafide expert to guide you, or someone you can trust, best advice is to take a ton of advice from a lot of people and go with what the most common threads are.
Don't implicitly take anyone's word that a certain load or technique will absolutely work for you & your rifle & load & be safe. All rifles are individuals and have inherent unique characteristics, likes & dislikes. Having said that, there are some basic things that MOST .222's are going to shoot middle-of-the-road well, and then you can fine-tune & adjust for your own particular success.
Stock screws / differing tensions can sometimes play a part in accuracy also, on factory guns. Most of the time can just snug them up without going real strong & be ok.
If you're not a little familiar with seating bullets to jam, it's best to seat them off the riflings a ways, until you get more used to things.
Seating at jam, into the riflings, it's easy to pull one back in action after chambering it, then the bullet sticks in the riflings & pulling the case back off the bullet dumps powder all over the action, & that's frustrating.
GOOD LUCK,
Steve

I - 4198; 20.5( start at 19.5 ) ; lapua brass . 50 grain baltip or 52 match. Find primer it likes

112 Savage Series J 222

Yea its a heavy gun, heavy barrel with a nice heavy wood stock, and no mag well. I will take some pics here in a bit and post them - Great excuse for me to leave work and visit it LOL

few pics

Attachments

• DSC01351.jpg
    DSC01351.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 939
  • DSC01353.jpg
    DSC01353.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 766
  • DSC01354.jpg
    DSC01354.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 766
  • DSC01362.jpg
    DSC01362.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 750
  • DSC01367.jpg
    DSC01367.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 735
few more

Attachments

• DSC01368.jpg
    DSC01368.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 565
  • DSC01370.jpg
    DSC01370.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 575
  • DSC01371.jpg
    DSC01371.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 539
I remember hearing back in the '50s when the 222 was new and popular that it was a scale model of the 30/06. It does look in proportion.

Concho Bill

This but with 68grn pills!

Try 19.5 gr. of IMR 4198 and a 50-53 grain bullet. Mine especially likes the Sierra 50 grain Blitz with this charge. Seat it .010 off.

George

When I went to 20" plus heavy barrel AR's up to 24" Bulls ...this recipe rose to the top and still rules today for my sub-1/2 MOA killers.....

IMR4198 at 19.5 grn.
Hornady BTHP match pills
Fed 205 primed
PMC or FC cases sorted and weighed and neck turned...
OAL at 2.235"

When I tripped over this powder my heavy barrel AR's took off to scary tight groups!..

Have fun, G>

I have tried some powders, but what I am worried about is temp- I know IMR powder get effected big time from winter to summer...

I am not sure if anyone that shoots the 222 in competition can suggest a powder or maybe you can confirm that its only a minor variance

It is not IMR powders - it is ball powders that are affected by temperature changes - 4198 is a classic powder for the 222/223/222 Mag cartridges.

Try H-322, and BenchMark, if you don't like IMR-4198.

Back