The 222 Remington

J

JasonYuke

From reading the Bench Rest shooting primer, I take it this little gem was the shooting star in its own day, and from reading further still holds it own today in the right conditions.

I have fooled with the 222 but have just picked up a T-3 HB in 222 and was wondering what you fellows that shoot the 222 for accuracy think the best powder is.
I am looking for accuracy, and have been shooting the 6 br and ppc for some time now. I do not have any thoughts of shooting competative with teh T-3 but want a nice little factory gun if it should occur.
Will be using the wilson reloading seater and bushings.

H-322 seem to look good, but has anyone tried Benchmark, to fine tune it..

Your thoughts

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
I shot the .222 a bunch.......

and still do, using H4895, BLC2, & H335, but I used it on pests, & wasn't concerned w/competition. Now that Tikka is a lot like the SAKO 491, if I'm not mistaken, a friend of mine has one of those SAKOs, and while its a bit heavy for a sporter, it really shoots the varmint loads well, you should have a good time with that, much enjoyment.;)

Try this

Try 19.5 gr. of IMR 4198 and a 50-53 grain bullet. Mine especially likes the Sierra 50 grain Blitz with this charge. Seat it .010 off.

George

Last edited:
I have tried some powders, but what I am worried about is temp- I know IMR powder get effected big time from winter to summer...

I am not sure if anyone that shoots the 222 in compitition can suggest a powder or maybe you can confirm that its only a minor variance

222 Rem.

Consistantly sub moa load w/ 5 shots at 200 yd. is the Hodgdon recommended 22.2 grs. of H322 w/ any high quality 50 gr. ( 50 V-Max one of my favorites), seated .020" off, Lapua, Fed. 205. Fired from a Rem. 700 BDL "Classic" and Hart barreled Sako L-46. Also excellent groups w/ the traditional load of H4198. H4895 another good powder. Tried & could not get equal groups w/ N133. One of the best small ctg. choices, that does not get the respect it deserves. Easy to load/ no tricks, very long barrel life, minimal or no recoil at all, does the job on G'Hogs ( never lost one yet), what is there to not like?

I have tried some powders, but what I am worried about is temp- I know IMR powder get effected big time from winter to summer...

I am not sure if anyone that shoots the 222 in compitition can suggest a powder or maybe you can confirm that its only a minor variance

The IMR thing is just a wive's tale.

H4895, VV N133, H322 - if you haven't tried these.....don't waste your time on others.

bullets for varmits - 50gr V-max, 50gr Sierra BlitzKing's, Berger Varmits 50-52 gr, Some custom makers will slightly back their point-up die out for a larger hole and more expansion, Very good way to go.

Hovis

222 load

Jason have shot a lot of BLC-2 but have gotten my best groups with 2230 with a 40xbr since 1980 behind berger 52 grain match bullets that I moly. That is with a 1-10 twist and am looking at a new barrel in a 1-14. We only shoot at 200 yards. Merry Christmas and good luck. craig

I won the local factory class BR awhile back with a wood-stocked pillar-bedded Rem 700V in .222 -- the same rifle I use for my gopher gun. I had a pile of H322 for my 6PPC, and 24gr of H322 was what I used in my .222 for the 52gr Bruno FB I shot for BR (about 3200fps), and the 40gr Nosler BT I shoot in the field (about 3400fps). Both bullets are seated to just touch the lands. I wouldn't recommend 24gr of H322 and 52gr bullets on a hot day, and certainly this is not a starting load. The Brunos are very accurate but won't expand on small varmints, which is why I use the NBTs in the field.

I sorted through 500 pieces of Win brass to find a set of match cases that are straight and uniform, and used those for the BR shoots. This rifle is an honest 0.5-0.6 MOA shooter at 200 yards with the Brunos, making the 200 yard hunter BR target quite a challenge even in good conditions.

The rest of the Win brass was prepped for the field, and Wilson dies used for all loading. The Win brass had remarkably uniform neck thickness, and I get pretty constant neck tension using a 0.246 bushing.

Don't let anybody tell you that a .222 is just a 200-250yd varmint round -- if you know your rifle and can dope conditions you can make plenty of first-shot kills at 300-400 yards. The mild recoil, low fouling, and great bullet selection make the .222 a favorite of mine.

Toby Bradshaw
baywingdb@comcast.net

Hi Jason yuke,
I am an old timer & currently still shoot 2 .222's in local 200 yard matches.
My sako 75V prefers a stiff charge or IMR4895 over all others, day in & day out. Weather will not affect this load in my gun. my particular Sako likes the sierra manual charge of 24.6-imr4895 and the BIB's 52 jammed, or the Don Gentner's 52 also jammed. My 40xbr seems to shoot the h-322 loads better, although it also shoots win-748 well, and also BOTH guns like 26.3 of BL-(c)2 under the various bullets.
ALL MY 222's (i've had several others) have shot best with bullets jammed.
H-4198 or imr-4198 are also both top performers in the .222, traditionally, but I've not shot either of my current guns with it.
You almost have to work at a .222 for it not to shoot well.
Both of mine, most days, will throw groups at 200 5 shots into less than 3/4inch with good conditions, and often less than 1/2-inch, yes at 200 yards......
Steve.

Jason Yuke: Best of luck with the new 222 Rifle!
I have a sweet spot in my heart for all Rifles in this caliber!
Currently I am shooting six Rifles in this caliber.
They are all used for Varmint Hunting and on rare occassions I compete with "myself" using one of my 222's to see how well I am shooting that day!
My most accurate 222 Remington Rifle is an all factory stock Remington 40X-BR single shot. This Rifle has a 20" extra heavy factory barrel.
On rare occassions - on dead calm days of my choosing - I have made groups (5 shots at 100 yards) in the 1's!
I have a Leupold 24 power scope on it and only shoot Varmint style bullets in it.
My best accuracy with this Rifle has been with H 322 and IMR 4198 powder.
I use Federal nickel plated brass and Federal 205 M (match) primers exclusively in it.
Several years back I was out at a Bench Rest Match in Tacoma, Washington and it came time for the unlimited class to shoot!
There was a Rifle on the line that was made (completely - including the barrel and the action!) by the late L.E. Wilson, the Rifle was in caliber 222 Remington.
The new owner finished in the top half of that unlimited competition that day!
Yes he was competing with a field full of 6mm PPC's.
Then after the competition, I found out some amazing things about that particular Rifle in 222 Remington caliber.
Just ONE of those amazing things was that the Rifles original barrel was still on it and the barrel had over 10,000 rounds down it!
The barrel had been re-chambered (re-throated?) several times.
Try to get that many rounds down a 6mm PPC barrel and see how well its still shoots!
I'll admit I was rooting for that unlimited Rifle in caliber 222 Remington to win that competition - I don't know why.
But I will never forget watching through my Unertl Spotting Scope at the 222's target and seeing how well it shot and fared that day!
I think the 222 Remington cartridge still owns the record for all time smallest group shot in registered BR competition!
Some of the 222 Remington naysayers should be asked this direct question - in todays world with equal components and care used in construction of an all out top of the line BR Rifle and said Rifles being made in 6mm PPC and in 222 Remington calibers, just exactly how much better will the 6mm PPC shoot than the 222 Remington?
Would it shoot any better?
Would it shoot any better in a tunnel type environment (no wind)?
Granted the chubby little 68 grain 6mm bullets have an edge in burping or bubbling winds - but in terms of absolute accuracy terms, in perfect conditions, I think the 222 Remington would make average groupings within .05" of what the 6mm PPC would do.
The 222 Remington cartridge is capable of splendid accuracy and I hope your T-3 shoots especially well.
Long live the 222 Remington!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Stephen Perry: Thanks for your information and I guess for pointing out the obvious, regarding BR "agg's" and current records status.
Are you saying the 5 of 8 current records are somehow NOT worthy?
I may be missing your point there?
Would you care to be a little more adventurous and venture some estimate or conjecture on ANY of the questions I posed in my posting - regarding how well two equally prepared all out BR type Rifles in 222 Remington and 6mm PPC might "average" (or agg!)?
I ventured forth with my estimate and I would like to hear yours.
Long live the "small rimmed" family of cartridges!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Thanks a bunch guys I guess I never looked at 4895 too hard but i should, i di dnot realize it would be that accurate for a 222. humm 4895 bugger to throw!!!!

I have all the powder you mentioned, so I will let some fly this weekend.

Regards

Jason, I neglected to tell.........

you, I shot the Hornady 55SX, for varmints, & the Hornady 53 for targets & varmints in my .222s.
If you have some considerations, real or imagined, w/temperature, use the Hodgdon 'extreme' powders(ADI's Mulwex powders) they are formulated(double saturate) to combat the variations in temps, & narrow the swings to a marked degree. Handy if you live in the Mojave.:rolleyes:

Here is one of my better targets in the factory BR class with my Rem 700V .222. Two shots on each target, 200 yards, for score. The big hole at 11 o'clock on target 1 is a crossfire. Note the spread of shots on the sighter target (lower right). The wind moves that little 52gr Bruno all over the place!

Toby Bradshaw
baywingdb@comcast.net

Attachments

• Rem 700V .222 200yd small.jpg
    Rem 700V .222 200yd small.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 4,379
Thanks guys, I think I will try 2 powders and with one bullet a sierra 53 gr fb bullet on the lands.

IMR 4198 and H-322

I hear BLC-2 can foul quick,,, but that could be rummor. I have used it in my sporter rifle because it throws easy

Unless you have the Sierras on hand, let me suggest buying some 52-53gr FB benchrest bullets (Bruno, BIB, etc.). I've had good luck with Bruno bullets -- 300-yard 5-shot group from my 6PPC LV attached (yes, I was using a 200yd hunter target again ... not a registered match, just a practice group).

Handmade BR bullets are still the best deal in the shooting sports, IMO.

Toby Bradshaw
baywingdb@comcast.net

Attachments

• Borden 6PPC 300yd small.jpg
    Borden 6PPC 300yd small.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,896
Ya I have a bulk pack of 53 SMKs when I was playing with a 22 PPC. So I need to get rid of a few, at least it will point me in teh rigth direction. as per powder and load.

I am pleased to see barrel life looks good with a 222. That intrests me alot vs swapping them out every 1500-2500 rounds.

As I say this will not be a competative rifle just a fun factory gun for shooting on weeknights and weekends for practice.

I am also glad to see alot of guys still playing with this round and why not,

Hornady bullets match are cheep 15 per box, 19.0-22 gr of powder is cheep shooting.

I also have a box of 500 hdy Match bullets I will play with to see! I think 53 grain FB I am sure they will not shoot as well but I am going to try them as well.

Thanks guys you have been a big help in your suggestions, I really want to try Benchmark powder as well, as I do not think it was used much for this cartridge. Very easy to Meter

I spoke to a hodgdon rep and he suggeested this powder BENCHMARK to be perfect for the 222, 223 and 308 with light bullets.

Any thoughts on BM powder I know its fairly new as a player in the BR family

Be sure to keep us updated as to how that Tikka shoots. I have one in .308 and it is unbelievably accurate for a sporter weight rifle.

First off, I will say that I haven't shot a .222, but I have spent the last 4 years with 2 really accurate .223's, so I have used all of the powders and some of the bullets you can use in a .222.

Benchmark is a good powder, and SMK's are good bullets. I used them alot and shot many good groups with them. That being said, I am now using VihtaVuori N-133 and both Berger and Bart's 52gr FB match bullets and will never go back.

Its true that these components cost more. The VV powders burn so much cleaner than anything labeled IMR, H, or AA that it is not even close. Also, the better bullets will reward you for playing the wind and reading flags by not throwing errant fliers at the target spoiling the group.

The VV powders have a wide accuracy plateau. So far I havent had to adjust the powder to the nth degree to get a load that shoots. And even better is that none of the loads shot bad. Good bullets that fly true will only be out of the group when you miss a condition. Average bullets will have you questioning everything as to why that last shot went wild.

In short, use good bullets and powders and you wont regret it. And Good Luck with your new rifle!:D

Will do, I am loaded up and waiting for the weekend to come, to try some loads out.

Spent most my time on H-322 and found a box of 53 gr FB bergers on the shelf that I honestly did not know I had... so loaded them, and some 53 gr SMKs, and a few Hdy 53 gr match to try..

I did load 10 rounds of Benchmark as well, and 20 rounds of 4198 should be covered,

And they are all kissing the lands so sweet!!! was very easy to get there with teh tikka with lots of room and bullet to spare, looks liek factory lenght was not to far away , and with a long action, I got miles of room.

BTW the triggers are great on teh T-3 varmints

Back