Thank you Ray Hill for Laser Stands

Al Hadfield

A while ago in the post titled "Wind, Wind and more Wind", the use of lasers was mentioned to help in setting out wind flags. I had never heard of this and of course rushed out and bought a couple for Penny and I.

Ray Hill was nice enough to make a couple of very nice custom stands to hold our latest gadget. They work great, and nice looking too! See photo below.

LaserStand.jpg

Thanks Ray.

Al & Penny

Last edited:
Just to be Obnoxious:

The rule sez the top of the bench to the bottom of the target. How can suspending a sighting device an inch or two above the bench be within the rules?

It's just there to set the flags before the match starts....

A while ago in the post titled "Wind, Wind and more Wind", the use of lasers was mentioned to help in setting out wind flags. I had never heard of this and of course rushed out and bought a couple for Penny and I.

Ray Hill was nice enough to make a couple of very nice custom stands to hold our latest gadget. They work great, and nice looking too! See photo below.

LaserStand.jpg

Thanks Ray.

Al & Penny

Al,

You are getting very high tech..........Looks great.......

Jim

Al,
I can't wait to see those laser beams bouncing on the target stands... and you can walk through them, unlike monofilament fishing line. ;)

Best,
Michael

It is a wonder that you frey -have not come up with such a device yourself. Surprising garrisone

I would bet that you have been working on this for a while. I know you were working on or with lasers sometime ago. As for being careful ' am I close or is there a warning there. garrisone.

I see I was correct. Your laser set up is a simple one. The simplest idea usually works best. The best thing is a mind that never gives up or rest until some progress is made. Such a mind will need some rest to continue to succeed. garrisone.

Al,
I can't wait to see those laser beams bouncing on the target stands... and you can walk through them, unlike monofilament fishing line. ;)

Best,
Michael

Mr. Mike,

You need to eat more of those brownies. It takes more than 10 lb. mono to hold me. Been known to snap that mono faster than a salmon. Mono is good because it's nearly invisable in the water. About the same on the range too!

Ken

Ken,
Good to hear from you. I can picture you taking out someone's mono!!! (smile).

Yeah the brownies ... back in the day brownies and lasers had a whole different meaning.

Michael

I believe Pete was thinking that any flag out there that the light touched would be above the rule limit - assuming the laser was level.

Twas exactly that. What is the point of rules if they are ignored? Of course, there is a problem witht the rule. Let's say the bench is not level. Which part of the bench does one use as the top? Is it the high end or low end? If one were to sight down some benches they would be way far below the target frame. Quite often benches are made out- of- level so that rain and wet, in general will run off from them.

One would assume one would use the highest point but then the rule is silent about benches not being level. I think it possible to use lazers to set flags but the rules need to be considered, IMHO.

A shooting org I have competed in for a very long time use to have a rule that said the flags must be below the flight of the bullet. It seemed to me and still does that this rule was appropriate to shooting and using flags. The rule was changed to bench top to target frame bottom, which has never made sense to me. In this case, it was the influence of NBRSA that instituted this change- unity, of sorts, I guess.

Last edited:
Self appointed interpreter

I'm sure the others are just using the laser to "locate" where to place the flag...and then setting it below the defined height.

And...it's always the high edge of the bench. You can't look at a row of flags across the low edge. Further, if you use either to set your flags you'll always be legal.

Last edited:
Pete,
I would use the laser just to make it easier to align the flags to where I want them; and then adjust the height according to the rules.

Best,
Michael

Back