Tested some Eley Team yesterday.

1bamashooter

#3 Blackbelt Boy
I went to the range yesterday to test some Eley Team I got from Dan Killough. I got 3 different lot # and speeds to test, they all shot ok, nothing spectacular though. One of the speeds I got was 1007 (that is the listed speed not the year of manufacture) so I asked Ron L (Kingsnake) if I could use his chronograph since that speed just didn't sound right.....Well it ain't, we shot 7 different boxes of ammo through the chrono just to see if the speed listed on the box was close. We shot 5 shots per lot #, Here is what we found :

Eley Team

Lot #1008-03048
Listed Speed 1007
Actual Speed 1083

Lot # 1008-03049
Listed Speed 1068
Actual Speed 1089

Lot # 1007-03149
Listed Speed 1074
Actual Speed 1077

Eley Match EPS

Lot # 1007-01162
Listed Speed 1071
Actual Speed 1071

Lot # 1007-03159
Listed Speed 1076
Actual Speed 1058

Eley Club EPS

Lot # 1007-04032
Listed Speed 1072
Actual Speed 1085

SK Match
Lot # 02442-10341
No listed speed
Actual Speed 1089
SK had the most consistent speed out of all these.

I thought this was interesting, especially the SK, I'm going to do some more testing with Club EPS soon and I will do the same with it also. Thanks to Kingsnake for letting me use his chronograph.

when i chronied my lot that the rifle loved it was 10fps lower than stated on the box. makes you wonder about thier chrony doesn't it:confused:?

...or your chrony

....or the difference in characteristics between your barrel & the test one

.....or the climatic differences between both places.

One of the joys of shooting smallbore here in Queensland, Australia was that you couldn't run the early production Federal ammunition in the bloop tube style Anschutz smallbore rifles. Depending on the evening's temprature, you'd have more or less rounds going off supersonic in the short barrel - it was just that little bit too hot compared with Eley or Lapua. The old style long barrels seemed to get away with it all of the time, but quite a few shooters keep their ammunition chilled when shooting in the summer to keep performance characteristics manageable.

Try some SK Pistol Match. It's probably the best shooting SK ammo out there. My Suhl shoots it very well. I know guys that shoot it in a turbo, 40x, and 52D and it shoots very well for them. A good lot of this ammo will give some of the black box Eley a good run for overall accuracy. And it's about 1/2 the price.

Try some SK Pistol Match. It's probably the best shooting SK ammo out there. My Suhl shoots it very well. I know guys that shoot it in a turbo, 40x, and 52D and it shoots very well for them. A good lot of this ammo will give some of the black box Eley a good run for overall accuracy. And it's about 1/2 the price.

Tried pistol match it doesn't shoot very good in my 40X.

You might want to try another lot if you only tested 1. Some of it ain't as good. I bought a bunch of it when it was about $3 a box. I still have quite a bit of it. Some of the lots shoot very well. Some lots seem to have more fliers.

I need to break out some of my SK PM. I had some good stuff that I put in watertight containers and tucked away. The new cost of black box kind of has me down.

Ben,

Your 40x shoots the SK Pistol Match well I believe doesn't it. I know Randy has a turbo that loves the stuff. Stan has a 40x and 52D that loves the stuff, too. A good lot of this ammo seems to rival a lot of the black box Eley. I've shot some black box Eley that in my opinion was not much.

My 40x has a super-tight slow twist BM, and the new, long Eley isn't stabilizing in these temperatures. The old EPS stuff was great, and it does shoot the round nose and SK good, if I find a lot that matches it.

Last edited:
I tested out 4 different lots today, and there were two that did rather well, but in different rifles.

What we both noticed, was that the good lots of Team did not have those strange dropped shots.

Gonna run it again, but this may be a good choice for the local club shooter.

s.

I know Randy McCarver told me personally that he shot I believe a 250-20x or 21x RBA target in practice with the SK Pistol Match. Now that lot he was shooting for what he paid will hum with most ammo out there. I've shot some super tiny holes for groups testing this ammo in my Suhl. A lot of guys at RFC are now shooting this ammo in the postal matches there as well as just shooting it for fun for the price.

I know Randy McCarver told me personally that he shot I believe a 250-20x or 21x RBA target in practice with the SK Pistol Match. Now that lot he was shooting for what he paid will hum with most ammo out there. I've shot some super tiny holes for groups testing this ammo in my Suhl. A lot of guys at RFC are now shooting this ammo in the postal matches there as well as just shooting it for fun for the price.

Brad, i shot five 250's with that lot# of sk pistol match and one with sk match last season, 2 of them in a IR50/50 matchs, the other ones just practacing.

Randy:)

Back