Technical Series: Cleaning your barrel (gasp)

Unless one has a bore scope - - -

they never know for sure if their barrel is cean. Having said that, if our barrels shoot better fouled, how much is the right amount to take out?

I like Iosso and Shooters Choice hasn't failed me yet........Yet.

KG1 is also some great carbon remover

Why Shooter's Choice Tuna? I have TM, Hoppe's, Sweets, Butch's Bore Shine and Butch's Bore Conditioner. Can't decide which to use.

It's funny if you watch people cleaning during a match everyone is using different rods and bore guides. Everyone has a different way of cleaning that works for them.People are using all kinds of cleaning products that work for them.

What I have found that is important to me is to have a really clean chamber each match. What I have found that doesn't work is pulling a brush one time thru the barrel. Just doesn't get the chamber clean, and why would one pull a brush from the muzzle to the chamber and let all the grit be be pulled back into the chamber and action

Just to make decisions worse, I ONLY use Butches Bore Shine and Slick PAL.

I got to thinking about this last weekend - - -

If barrels shoot best un-polished then there should be no reason using a bronze brush regularly will do anything but keep them shooting well. The bronze brushes will show tiny scratches if one rubs them on a shiny surfaced barrel but lapping seems to gives about the same finish as the bronze brush might.

The most important thing is to minimize damage to the crown and bore with our rods. I bought nice guides last year from Dan Killough with tight fitting inserts that are about 5" long. These inserts support the rod thus not allowing them to sag and touch the bore.

Beyond that, I purchased a couple of those lubricating plastic brush and jag holders, which will assure that one will never touch their crown with they rod or brush metal. ( got to work the Ebonics in every now and then :) )

Last edited:
Be careful with those bore guides from KSS. They are sweet but, I got mine stuck in the Hall on the Hooter's gun.

Be careful with those bore guides from KSS. They are sweet but, I got mine stuck in the Hall on the Hooter's gun.

Damm.......Do you need a tutor ? You gotta coat them with hog lard ........Geez

Do you mean the Hooter's girls or, the gun? :)

Mmmm Hooter's girls and hog lard............................ is that legal?

A brother could be lost for days if it were. Only seeing sunlight when his money ran out. Damn, man what a thought!

wheres those hogs at.........

Back