Tapered Barrel vs Straight Barrel Accuracy

JerryK

Looking for opinions on what is more accurate: A 31" 1.25 straight, or a 31" 1.25 for 4" tapered down to 1" muzzle? The caliber is 6.5 x284. Thanks

Light Gun or Heavy?

Jerry,
I saw your post in Gunsmith about Barrel Blocks. If you are wanting to build a 17# Light Gun. You will not need a Block. Just Bed the receiver w/ the barrel fully floating and us a Pennsylvania Taper (1.25” Straight for 6” Tapered to .940” @ 31” finished at 31”).
Baron

Actually I'm building a Heavy Gun. I'm just trying to decide between straight or tapered, which is typically more accurate. I'm leaning to the Straight to get the extra weight, unless it comes at the expense of accuracy. That's the question.

I had been in the market for a dedicated HG since 10 min after my first match ended last year. I have looked at every HG at every match I have attended for the last two years. You know....dreaming about my next project!!!:eek: I would say, at a minimum, 95 % of the dedicated HGs have a strait taper...either 1.25 or 1.45. I have even seen some 1.75" tubes, but all were strait taper tubes.

As for accuracy....WHAT-N-L DO I KNOW BOUT THAT???:eek:

Jerry,
FWIW, Most IBS Heavy Guns that use Barrel Blocks are running Straight 1.450" barrels. Some of the guys are shooting Tension Tubes w/ Palma Taper barrels. My HG is a BAT 2” Model “L” bedded into the 50HBR w/ the barrel floating. The barrel is 1.700” Straight for 9” tapered to 1.600” at 32”. Which is not much taper.
Baron

For the most part I don't see an accuracy difference between a straight tapered barrel or a straight blank (no taper) barrel.

Some will say that a barrel has to be tapered vs. a straight blank for harmonics etc....but I also have a ton of arguments against it.

Either will work fine for you in my opinion.

We are putting together a couple of F-Class open rifles and putting straight blanks (no taper) barrels on them.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I am curious about any tuning differences between straight and tapered barrels of the same length. I have 31 inch straight 1.250 inch barrels on my F-Class rifles and all of them have had a nice vertical node at 2900fps plus or minus. Would the node be at a different velocity if the barrel were tapered, and if so, how big would the difference be?
Thanks

Back