Tall or low stocks for F-Class?

T

twentytwoguy

question from a f-class newbie:

Generally I see most traditional F-Class stocks have a normal to tall butt stock but then there are the newer breed of low-profile stocks like the Lowriders that sit really low in the bags and I was curious if either is a preference due to the shooters anatomy and where the butt rests in the shoulder or is it more a function of shooting style?
Does this also need to be balanced out and considered with the height of you rear bag or is it just not that important and you compensate by moving up and down on your elbows?

Thanks.

question from a f-class newbie:

most traditional F-Class stocks have a normal to tall butt stock but then there are the newer breed of low-profile stocks like the Lowriders .

Interesting topic. My stock is modeled on an MBR with a slightly different forearm, I added a adj cheek piece and am prob gonna add an adj butt plate over the winter. But of late a question came into mind, am I taking a benchrest designed stock and adapting it for prone shooting?? Maybe I should just get a true prone stock? Hmmm.

Been wondering the same thing concerning center of gravity & shootibility/comfort. Would like to hear from the folks who have transitioned from an BR stock to a true prone stock like a MasterClass or similar, including the Lowrider.

Comments?

Rod

I am coming from a BR game with a Lowrider. I wanted to give F-class a try this year while waiting on the local club's BR matches which run through the winter. It has preformed well winning 2 of the 4, 3x600 shoots I attended. I don't know if I was more uncomfortable than anyone else, but I have never fired a true prone or F-class stock with all the adjustments. I seem to remember that someone is making a Lowrider style stock with all the adjustments specifically for F-class but I cant remember who. Comfort ability and position maintenance aside the virtues of a low profile stock will be the same weather shot form the bench or ground, torque management and less disturbance in the rest system.
Larry

One lowrider that has a following is the Low Boy by Precision Rifle & Tool (Ray Bowman). I'd like to get behind one of thes for a few rounds....

Thanks Larry for your input!

TwentyTwo guy, I hope I am not hijacking your thread, my intent is to draw attention to your orig question, (and mine too.....lol)

Rod

Mr. Bartholome,

Thank you for posting those pix. Now I may be incorrect, but didn't you use a MBR style stock before? And may I ask what precipitated the change and what are the advantages you have found so far with this LowBoy vs the MBR style?

Rod

Rod,
My first 1k BR/FC rifle back in 1999 was a plastic McMillan MBR in 6BR. The second was the same type. My 3rd was a McMillan F-Class (low Rider). The 4th was a Shehane MRB (wood) and the 5th and last is the one in the photos. I guess I changed because that happened to be the newest thing available. While I like the latest one, I don't notice a difference when I lay down to shoot. I am too wrapped up in getting ready to shoot. I just shoot whatever is there in front of me and don't give it a thought. I do this, I think because I don't shoot any practice and only fire in 3-5 major matches a year. Too many people worry about unimportant things while shooting and some use them as a reason for losing.
Larry

Larry,

You make alot of sense, sometimes we get caught up in gadgetry with hopes that it will make us a better shooter.. Thanks for your insight, see you in Lodi.

Rod

I just assumed that looking at all those adjustments on F-Class stocks for cheek height, cant, L.O.P and whatever else that there must be something important about fitting the rifle precisely to the shoulder for this discipline but you can't argue with Larrym's assessment: "never had a real Fclass stock and win some wood anyways".
Looks like something to put into the "it's all good category" and move on.

Thanks.

This thread got me to looking around. Here's some stuff to look at.
http://www.6mmbr.com/fstocks.html
http://doantrevor.com/2010/03/17/lowrider-f-class-stock/
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/10/new-manners-f-class-stock/
http://www.carlbernosky.com/semiinletted.html

Some really pretty stuff on that last link. This has me really wanting to try one of those fancy adjustables though. Wondering if I could shoot better with with a stock tailor made to fit. When I had my gun built I had Bob Green cut it to fit my stubby arms. He also inletted the action pretty far back so it would sit lower in the stock , making the cheek piece really high and gives me a perfect cheek weld position.100_1413.jpg100_1418.jpg100_1408.jpg

Stocks

twentytwoguy,
To get back to your original post, the low stocks were developed to lower the CG and hopefully cause recoil to come straighter back. You do not want to use your elbows to compensate for a difference in stock height. You adjust for the stock using your rear bag and/or front rest. You have to do this anyways in many cases because of firing line regularities. You need to be comfortable and repeatable in your position. There should not be any lost motion while you are loading and firing. While I have not dry fired for FC I know that JJ Conway the" old geezer" and father of US F-Class did so. Not a bad idea to work out the bugs in a position. I basically use my old prone sling position. Since getting my SEB NEO front rest I have not had to use spacers under my rear bag. The 5" of adjustment on twin poles of the SEB are very useful shooting FC.

As far as needing all the adjustments, no you do not "need" them, but they can be very useful to have in order to be comfortable. If you want to play with/beat the top guns you need all the help you can get. Decide on your goals and base your equipment on that. Back to loading for the SoA and FCN.
Larry

Back