Tack Driver Experimental (TDX) is Dead!

tonykharper

I have very sad (for me) news. TDX my 10.5lb Calfee rifle is dead. Well at least the barrel is.

TDX is as close to a Spec rifle as I've ever been able to get.

When TDX was originally built it had the famous jeweling (engine turning) over the entire action. Just like Spec rifles.

When I got it I may have been guilty of displaying it as a Spec rifle. I never actually told anyone that it was but I made sure they saw that beautiful jeweling.

As luck would have it things didn't go well. I was still shooting Tack Driver, and I didn't think TDX was measuring up.

After awhile I got up the nerve to discuss it with Calfee. He said send it back and I'll look at it. He did what ever he did and finally sent it back.

When it came back the jewelling was gone, but it shot like a house on fire. I was so happy with how it shot I never said a word about the jewelling.

That rifle in my opinion has been the most successful RFBR rifle of all time. No rifle has ever won as much as TDX and I mean at every level.

Yes, there have been and still are rifles that have shot higher scores, and higher aggs.

But none have won more National, Regional, and state matches, or accounted for more Hall of Fame Points than TDX.

I've known for the last two years TDX wasn't what it once was. But it has been my only rifle that makes the 10.5 lb. requirements for IR 50 three gun events.

I've had so much confidence in TDX I think I was able to get better scores from it than I could have from any other rifle.

But after the IR 50 Three Gun Nationals this year I finally decided to give it a good look over. I removed the barrel to take a good look.

I found the leade was all but gone, and it had damage at 12 o clock. That surprised me, I thought the damage or wear would be at 6 o clock.

The leade was gone all around, but the rifling was still there even at 6 o clock. I then realized I had not shot the barrel out, I had cleaned it to death.

I don't know how many rounds have been down the barrel so I will not guess but it has been many. The barrel owes me nothing at this point so I can't cry.

Well, I can, because this rifle has been a very big part of my life for nearly 10 years.

Anyway I sent the barrel to Calfee and asked him to look at it.

He did, and pronounced it dead on arrival. I was hoping for a simple de glazing but not in this case.

I may cut the chamber end off and try it as a shorter version but I haven't yet.

I have re barreled TDX, and it is shooting , I think? We will see next season.

Should I rename TDX, since it is no longer complete, or keep the name?

TKH

Last edited:
Tony, I feel like you... and sorry to hear that sad news.

My rifles too, have names, and when something happen to them I feel strange to say the least.

Like a person, after a surgery or prothesis, the original name remains the same... so, the rifle should maintain its name... if you know what I mean.

Tony, sorry for your loss! It’s been a great run that’s for sure.
I’d leave the barrel as is opposed to setting it back. That way when it goes to the museum it will be all original.
Boat owners often keep the name & add the next numerical value. TDX II would be my vote. Cheaper to just add that too for a retired fella like yourself!!

Keith

Last edited:
Tony,
Interesting post. Barrel gone via cleaning ? Cleaning a rifle is something I try and pay really close attention to as far as watching other shooters at a match and I must say I always felt you to be among the more careful out there.
Do you think this is simply a byproduct of X number cleaning cycles or something else?

P.S. Hell, keep the name, you’re gun you’re call, what earthly difference does it make to anybody other than you ?
Myself, never been a big gun name guy anyhow. No matter which way you go, some dumbass is gonna run around with his hair on fire anyway. ;)

Last edited:
Tony,
Interesting post. Barrel gone via cleaning ? Cleaning a rifle is something I try and pay really close attention to as far as watching other shooters at a match and I must say I always felt you to be among the more careful out there.
Do you think this is simply a byproduct of X number cleaning cycles or something else?

P.S. Hell, keep the name, you’re gun you’re call, what earthly difference does it make to anybody other than you ?
Myself, never been a big gun name guy anyhow. No matter which way you go, some dumbass is gonna run around with his hair on fire anyway. ;)

Tim,

I have always taken great care in cleaning. But as you said I believe there is a point in which damage is going to occur. I have no idea how many times I've cleaned

TDX but at least as many times as cards it has shot.

I always cleaned it as soon as I could after shooting. Never allowing it to sit and cool off while dirty.

I don't think there is anything I can change to prevent this in the future.

This was a Muller 4 MI barrel and it had a large bore when new.

I always wondered how long it would last, but I never thought the cleaning rod would get it before the round count did.

It does pretty much proves MI barrels with trick rifling can keep shooting for a very long time.

An interesting note I shot a 250 18X card the last time I shot TDX in competition. That was great, but I've known for the last two years it wasn't what it once was.

TKH

Last edited:
R.i.p.

R.I.P. TDX, you had a great run.

Tony, years ago I had a dog, he was a great dog and a good friend, me and that dog had some good times together. Well the day finally came when the old dog was ready to meet his maker, I was sad for a good while, but life goes on, so I got me another dog.

Hang that old barrel up in the Trophy case, or in your case, the Trophy Room and put another barrel on it ( if you can find one ) and go on with life. You never know, the new barrel may be better than the last one, my new dog was. Remember what the X meant in the name, EXPERIMENTAL

Tony, things ware out on all kinds of things, rifles included, as you are well aware. I like George's thoughts, keep the old barrel and put a new one on the rifle. I would also, if mine, retain the name. It would not be the first time that has happened.....for sure! If, as Tim mentioned and is probably correct, some people run around with their hair on fire, just hide the fire extinguisher from them! Let them burn, it's not their rifle.

Scott

P.S. we missed you in Pontiac this year.

Tony,

I'm sorry to read of the loss of the barrel. Pretty astounding it still did a 250 18X in the last competition.

The barrel served you well. You cleaned it as good as could be done by anyone, and it lasted innumerable rounds and won more than any other. If you leave it as-is you can put it on every now and then and shoot it and REMEMBER all it did with great respect. There apparently still remains enough accuracy to enjoy, even if only for the purpose of remembering all it did in the past. That's worthy of respect.

The work Bill put into that rifle to get it as close to perfect as possible did not just include the barrel. More work went into the action than the barrel. The heart of TDX still beats......

George makes an excellent point about the "X" in TDX meaning experimental. Another barrel continues the experiment.

Hate to hear this Tony, but I wouldn't re-name it. At its soul, it's still the same rifle....let it live on....

MB

What Mike said is so accurate, and so concisely said, there is no way to top it.

TDX will always be TDX.

Take care,

Greg

Jewell

“When it came back the jewelling was gone, but it shot like a house on fire. I was so happy with how it shot I never said a word about the jewelling.“

Was it the same action? Did the serial #s match?

Just curious
Jerry Halcomb

“When it came back the jewelling was gone, but it shot like a house on fire. I was so happy with how it shot I never said a word about the jewelling.“

Just curious
Jerry Halcomb

Yep,

It was the same action. Bill must have polished the jewelling away.

TKH

Just curious
Jerry Halcomb

Jerry,

I was informed by Bill that he never jeweled TDX. He jeweled another rifle for me called King Kong.

King Kong was a test bed for big hit ignition.

The older I get the more forgetful and confused I become. Sorry for the misleading information.

TKH

A painful pic of TDX's barrel

When I first saw this pic it took my breath away.

TDX barrel.jpg

If anyone can bring this barrel back it will be Bill Calfee.

Here's hoping!

TKH

Well, did he save it or didn't he?

Keith

Very good question. I haven't received the barrel back so I guess it is still in the works.

Too scared to go out, snowed in anyway, it would be good to have it to work on. I'll have to get on to Bill.

Damn groundhog said six more weeks of winter. If it ends up being more than six weeks, I plan to shoot that sucker come spring.

TKH

Back