Sumo for the open class

csdilligaf: good deal! I'm hoping so! I'd love to have a regulated 50fpe .25 rifle!! the rifle I'm building to use the Ti tube w/reg will be dual use: Unlimited class BR, and for long range hunting. mostly for the latter. btw- for this reciever, you're using a Benchmark 3 groove barrel? what are the specs? RIng: what barrel are you using on yours? what are your specs? I hope you guys can divulge this info- i know shooters that order barrels, and keep the specs to themselves... anyway- thanks for all the info!!

I should've re-read the first post before i wrote something, I would've caught that this rifle IS for RIng... D'oh!

Hi Yemx I have tried many barrels . For .22 I like the 3 grove tight boor 22 rim fire Benchmark ..215 pin well not go in boor but well just go in breach . There is a lot of experimenting going on with barrels now .Lilja well have a .177 soon . Benchmark has a .25 also . Some LW are OK .

Benchmark has a .25 AIRGUN????? that's surprising if im reading that right. and Lilja will have a .177...Jeeze. i guess American Airguning is finally going somewhere!! has anyone used the Benchmark .25 barrel yet? how does it shoot? what are the specs? what are you shooting (fpe, barrel length etc)?

I know there are some newer more airgun specific barrels from benchmark and other makers but I have seen a number of the 3 groove tight bore .22 from benchmark and pushed JSB's through them and inspected under a microscope and the imprint looks outstanding on the head and skirt. The Sumo Rick will have comes with this barrel but he can easily swap in any barrel he has or want too and it will be easy to do with very little work to the barrel. Here is the .25 thread link.
http://airgunadvice.net/viewtopic.php?t=15498

Is there difficulty in regulating 50fpe? I know the .25 Edguns are reg. well over 50fpe w/very flat shot strings.

I really hope so...i'd really like to use Jerry's heavy slugs (60-90gr). i've emailed Benchmark and am eagerly awaiting a response...would anyone happen to know off hand what size bore the .25 is? thanks for all the answers everyone! esspecially csdilligaf! im really really interested in that regulated Ti tube! how would i go about ordering one? I know when it comes down to the ordering i want to make sure all my ducks are in a row...since ill be shooting w/a longer barrel (24"-25") and with a really heavy slug. thanks again!!!!

??? WOW with out thinking about it I have been ordering all the different heavy pellets I can find . I was figuring it the other day and I have ordered between $300.00 and $400.00 of pellets . WOW sometimes it is just better not to think about it , or know how much I put into experimenting with rifles .

_DPB9398.jpg

Well I have had some time to work a little more on the Big Boy. Doing some shooting with it over the chrony I just tossed it together with a baseline set up that would be 30ftlbs with a standard .228 transfer port and probe design and produced 39 ftlbs with a .156 transferport. I think it is do to the short thru the bolt design and smooth radius in the passage? Maybe? But that was with also a blow by condition from under the bolt. I did some more investigating and found some better engineering charts for the oring grooves. I made a insert and broached the center, put one oring under the insert and made the corrections for the inner wall gap for the top oring and works good now. I have thought about doing the insert anyway as it will allow in change the transfer port dia for power change's.
DSC00055.jpg

To expand on what Steve just said: OBVIOUSLY! Was there ever any doubt?

Last edited by a moderator:
At Revision #7 so far. Things never go just like you want the first time. Got rid of the hex. Moved on to slots to turn the insert down and they also help to blow the oring outward.
DSC00056.jpg

The Sumo is ready to Wrestle!!!!!! Got the action pillar bedded, Assembled, leak free, Test fired a bunch, Picture ceremony and now its out the door to Rick Ingraham to play with, have fun Rick
003.jpg

009.jpg

006.jpg

OUTSTANDING! Chip, I've gotta say, you look like the Grand Master, or at least proud parent, sitting there behind your creation, that's for sure.

I too wish Rick all the fun he can handle, that is right up until he runs out of pellets. How many did you buy? $300.00 or $400.00 worth. Just try to save enough for the rest of us to have a go with it at the NE Regionals. I'll bring along what pellets I have just in case. I've got both 13.5's and 18.1's all weight sorted, rolled, lubed and ready to go.

Dave

Yes I think I will have to add the trigger guard when I get it back on the west coast after Rick gives it a good trial run. I pretty much ran out of time to get it done. I also sent along another triggerblade that is longer with an Anschutz trigger shoe. I wanted to swap it out before sending it but it was faster to make a new one than to take that one out, Machine it and put it back in.

Hay All I hope to have it ready for all to shoot . It most likely well be a unlimited class . ( I hear it weigh's 18 lb. ) I have a bunch of different pellets to try . For any one who wishes to bring pellets , I think 18 well be the lightest and 25--35 well be better . The Sumo well make 4 rifles that I am trying to have ready for the shoot . If all works out the way I foresee it, the Sumo well be ready to shoot heavy pellets ay 50 yd. I am glad to have this opportunity to work with one of Chips rifles and hope we all have fun with it . If all goes well I well have a 12 ft/lb , 20ft/lb and 35 ft/lb Dawson all-so . Hope to see all old friends and make some new ones at the shoot . Keep it fun and shoot well !!!! Rick

Chip, Kinda wish you'd have waited till after the NE Regionals to send that to Rick. What with the mirage and the sun beaming off his smile it will be pretty near impossible to see the cards! HeHeHe, All kidding aside that is one nice piece of work and I'm very much looking forward to seeing it at the NE Shoot, if I can see past Dave S.

Back