Suggestions for a short-actioned all-around rifle?

If it wasn't for the deer I'd swear you're talking about a .223 Remington. nhk

nhk, the 223 rem is a GREAT deer round,,,, load it with a stiff load of H335 under a 55gr Sierra GameKing and don't look back, I've take several nice bucks and a ton of doe's with this combo, just lay that GameKing in the shoulder or base of the neck and you won't believe the damage, ask J R Waters or Ronnie Long about a 223 Rem or a 22-250 or 22BR,,, all often over looked deer rounds for whitetails,,,,,,,and paper

the wind is my friend,,,,,,

Deer round

nhk, the 223 rem is a GREAT deer round,,,, load it with a stiff load of H335 under a 55gr Sierra GameKing and don't look back, I've take several nice bucks and a ton of doe's with this combo, just lay that GameKing in the shoulder or base of the neck and you won't believe the damage, ask J R Waters or Ronnie Long about a 223 Rem or a 22-250 or 22BR,,, all often over looked deer rounds for whitetails,,,,,,,and paper

the wind is my friend,,,,,,

Depends on where you live. Here in CO we're required to use a 6mm bullet of at least 70 grs for deer and 85 grs for elk with 1,000# of energy at 100 yds. Also we can't shoot prairie dogs (or anything) from or resting on a vehicle. I've had excellent accuracy with the 55 gr GK and 26.0 grs of Varget (1:12 twist). - nhk

Kevin
Go with the 6BR and don't look back.You don't need to do anything at all to the brass.You can even shoot factory ammo in it and get < 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards.It has its own website no recoil long barrel life and even the wife and kids can enjoy it.
Lynn aka Waterboy

with a 700 action and a krieger barrel you will not have accuracy problems with any cartridge. i would choose a 6mmbr or a .243. that is just me . different from Lou and maybe different from you. enjoy. roninflag

243...1 in 12 twist...Sierra 85gr.H.P.B.T. 38.5gr.4895........

243 win 1-10 twist shoots 68gr to 90gr well. The big plus is all the super accurate bullets to choose from.

The 6BR will have the edge in accuracy, will use less powder, and have less recoil. Unless you are willing to spend time working on a magazine box (or action rails) the 6BR will have issues feeding from a magazine, so if you want a repeater you have a problem.

The 243 will give a little more velocity, generally will not be quite as accurate as the 6BR, but if you should ever wish to sell it will be an easier sell because of it being a common caliber.

Of course what bullet weights it will shoot well in either one is dependent on twist rate. But both are very versatile calibers, both are accurate and matches out to 800 yds are being won with either of them.

The strong suit of the 6mm is that there a pletora (I love that word) of good bullets available, there are more good 6mm accuracy bullets available than in any other caliber (with the 22 cal running a close second).

I settled the problem to the best of my ability - I have one of each. Of the two I really don't have a preference.

drover

Unless you are willing to spend time working on a magazine box (or action rails) the 6BR will have issues feeding from a magazine, so if you want a repeater you have a problem.

I put in a benchrest follower and use mine (Rem 700 ADL SA 6mm BR) as a single-shot. The magazine and spring is still there if I get ambitious enough to modify it or make another barrel change. nhk

Bet you are laughing at the responses,with all the rifles you now have,you need to wear yourself out just trying to shoot them and see if you can shoot one good enough to take deer or bigger game
If you like wildcats,i like my 6.5x257 AI with 140 grain bullets,it has done very good for me out to 300 yards.

Still trying to make up my mind so I spent some time at the range on Saturday and all day on Sunday. It was sunny and in the 40's. 12 rifles and four pistols between the two days.

Came home Sunday and was going thru a bunch of stuff and trying to organize. Found a Leupold VX-II 2-7 x 32 and a Remington long action with bolt but no trigger - in one of the bottom drawers.

Sheesh - time to go thru everything and find out what ELSE is lurking in the dark depths of the reloading room !

Oh yeah - finally decided on a 6.5x47, probably because I've never owned one. As good a reason as any, I suppose.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input - it is appreciated.

Last edited:
It sounds like your niche would be filled nicely with a .260. (it's everything a .243 wisht it were. :) )

Still trying to make up my mind so I spent some time at the range on Saturday and all day on Sunday. It was sunny and in the 40's. 12 rifles and four pistols between the two days.

Came home Sunday and was going thru a bunch of stuff and trying to organize. Found a Leupold VX-II 2-7 x 32 and a Remington long action with bolt but no trigger - in one of the bottom drawers.

Sheesh - time to go thru everything and find out what ELSE is lurking in the dark depths of the reloading room !

Oh yeah - finally decided on a 6.5x47, probably because I've never owned one. As good a reason as any, I suppose.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input - it is appreciated.

Kevin, I think its a great choice. I've built two 6,5x47L's in the last two months. This last one was with an Rem XR-100 action. I put a krieger 8 twist in rem vt contour. Brunos had it in stock. I'm taking it hunting next week in S. Tx. I changed bullets from 123 scenar coated to uncoated and wanted to check the sight in this morning. Shot 1 shot, and it was an X. Put the rifle away. 39.3 gr of Reloader 15.

Ben

Back