Sufficient magnification for a BR 25m air rifle?

B

buggsson

I've been trying to find out what the minimum recommended magnification could be for air rifle BR at 25m. I think the answer might be around 36X but as I am not very fond of uncertainties, I put forward this question.

I need a new scope for my new, upcoming LV rig. On my present HV rig I have a Falcon 10-50x60 mounted but now I want something else, and in the jungle of various scopes out there, I thought minimum magnification could be a good start as any.

Of course, I gladly accept model recommendations as well. March and S&B and similar is way out of my reach.

Hi The Weaver T36 is used by the vast majority of the shooters . It is a good scope and if you consider price it is one of the best for the money . I used a T24 some and the 36 makes it easier for the small hold off you have to do .

Given you have a 10-50 zoom, it will be easy to find the minimum magnification for you. Every eye is slightly different and what works for others might not work for you. My opinion is to use as much magnification as you can afford. That 2mm OD 10 ring always looks small to me.

I use the Sightron Big Sky 36X it's a very good scope and will focus down to 10 yards. I believe the 36X is as little mag as useful, I had a 32X and there's a big difference. Like Steve mentioned that X ring is tiny!

For what it is worth.

I set my gun on my mechanical rest in my tube in an effort to find out how well my eyes were getting or maintaining as I am getting old and been looking through scopes for over 50 years.
I placed a tenth indicator to the side of my gun to record the repeatability of both my eye and the rest.
At 25 meters with a 36X Leupold my eye repeatability was constantly under .0002

Frank Tirrell

This scope is intended for the LV class, so weight is paramount, it cannot be too heavy. So I guess I'll go for a Weaver T-36 as it is cheaper than the Sightron.
The T-36 has two reticles, a Fine Cross hair, and a 1/8 MOA dot. I'm just wondering how big will that 1/8 MOA dot be at 25m, will it cover the 2mm ring?

Hi The Dot dos not cover the ring . It works well for me and is what i like and use .

I find even 24 power is plenty for 25m a great all round scope that is good quality and super cheap is the Tasco World Class 6-24 Made in Japan, this is also doubles up for International Sporter in Rimfire Class

I find even 24 power is plenty for 25m a great all round scope that is good quality and super cheap is the Tasco World Class 6-24 Made in Japan, this is also doubles up for International Sporter in Rimfire Class

Don't you start as well, talking about Rimfire Class to me. Three weeks ago I didn't even know I would be out looking for an air rifle LV rig by now:) Still another class would absolutely ruin me!

Tasco, as a brand, is their scopes generally good, do you know, or do they differ between models?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you start as well, talking about Rimfire Class to me. Three weeks ago I didn't even know I would be out looking for an air rifle LV rig by now:) Still another class would absolutely ruin me!

Tasco, as a brand, is their scopes generally good, do you know, or do they differ between models?

Yes the world class made in japan are very good but so is weaver t36

Yes the world class made in japan are very good but so is weaver t36

I finally bought a T-36 and will next weekend mount it were it belongs. Now, when the export restrictions for scopes from the US has changed, it went like a breeze.

Once mounted, it is training time, snow or no snow. We had a small club contest a week after new year and we had to get rid of at least 10" of snow that covered the shooting benches, but the contest was appreciated.

I'm with Bill here, sometimes too much mag gives you too much information, theres alot to be said in just 'point and shoot' especially when shooting outside where the conditions are constantly changing. With the higher mags it gives you too much time to contemplate, 36x for me is the upper limit.

Tony

Back