stock design question?

If you are referring to legal in NBRSA short range, I would say “no”. However, the word “should” makes it seem a bit cloudy. I would feel better if it said “shall or must”.

Stock could be considered legal because there is no convex section. Both the rails and the cutout are flat.
Definition of convex:

convex
[ˌkänˈveks, ˈkänveks]
ADJECTIVE
having an outline or surface curved like the exterior of a circle or sphere.Compare with concave.
"a convex lens"
synonyms:
curved outward · cambered · rounded · bulging · swelling · protuberant · [more]
(of a polygon) having only interior angles measuring less than 180°.

Stock could be considered legal because there is no convex section. Both the rails and the cutout are flat.
Definition of convex:

convex
[ˌkänˈveks, ˈkänveks]
ADJECTIVE
having an outline or surface curved like the exterior of a circle or sphere.Compare with concave.
"a convex lens"
synonyms:
curved outward · cambered · rounded · bulging · swelling · protuberant · [more]
(of a polygon) having only interior angles measuring less than 180°.
LOL, I'd like to be there when you shoot a good one and tell the RO THAT!

Lovely logic though

Does the front bag have to be flat? As in two piece or one made with a 3 pocket bottom as to leave the center portion light on sand..

Alinwa made it short and easy to understand. I'll mention again that folks are shooting extremely small aggs with a 3 inch flat stock...insinuating that the forend doesn't have much to do with anything except maybe weight.

The The NBRSA and for that matter the IBS rules regarding stock design are both different for long and short range. For the bag gun classes in short range the contact must be across the entire bottom of the forend, but for long range, there is no width or contact across the bottom requirement. The picture that shows relief on the bottom of the forend is of a stock that was probably designed with long range in mind. I say this because I have seen a picture of the entire stock and I do not believe that its toe angle would satisfy short range rules, the edge contact forend, and then there is the matter of weight. While long range LGs have a 17# limit, short range bag guns are limited to 10.5 and 13.5 and for that reason you do not see a lot of bulky wood stocks on the line. Not all long range stocks are built to only ride on the edges, but the latest and hottest one that I know of is. https://www.wheeleraccuracy.com/rifle-components
From the NBRSA short range rules: "The stock should have a flat or convex forearm not more than 3 inches wide..."

"The front sandbag. The front shall be a bag, without additions, containing sand only, and at least 1⁄2” thick over its entire surface. The portion which contacts the rifle shall contact the entire surface under the fore end. Tape on the sandbag is legal.

From the NBRSA long range benchrest rules for both light and heavy guns: "

There are no stock limitations. "

Back