stock design question?

TrxR

Anyone see any advantage or disadvantage of only having the two outer edges of the stock touching the front bag instead of all three inch riding the bag? Im thinking just leaving a 1/2" on each side and routering out the center area. Im thinking it might decrease the chances of the stock rocking if you dont have bag filled just right.

Thanks

This rifle will be used only for local club matches as any registered matches are too far away for me to travel to.

I wouldn't do it :)

Registered 100-200-300 disallow (the rules state specifically "convex surface") it and I'd be afraid I'd build bad habits from it.

Hey TrxR;
As the rules for both IBS and NBRSA both state the forearm should be flat or convex, you might turn your attention to getting your front bag in a flat or concave shape. You should be able to move the sand around to the ears or at least to the outer edges of the bag. Simple massaging of the bag should get this done and then making a wood or metal block to place in the front rest between shooting outings should keep the bag in the shape you want. What rest and bag are you using? Being in New Brunswick, you have all winter to work on that.

Last edited:
Hey TrxR;
As the rules for both IBS and NBRSA both state the forearm should be flat or convex, you might turn your attention to getting your front bag in a flat or concave shape. You should be able to move the sand around to the ears or at least to the outer edges of the bag. Simple massaging of the bag should get this done and then making a wood or metal block to place in the front rest between shooting outings should keep the bag in the shape you want. What rest and bag are you using? Being in New Brunswick, you have all winter to work on that.

Right now Im using a cowan rest and a edgewood front bag.

Im probably never going to shoot a registered match as the closest is probably a 3 day drive away.

There are a number of matches in Maine. So, rather than alter a stock and make it near impossible to sell, I think I’d work on the front bag to make it concave and have the rifle run the outer edges on the bag.

Right now Im using a cowan rest and a edgewood front bag.

Im probably never going to shoot a registered match as the closest is probably a 3 day drive away.

In spite of that, probably a bad idea mostly because these guns want to rotate in the front bag, on recoil.
I suspect a narrow outer edge with make bag deformation a lot easier than a flat/wider surface.

Does anyone have a link to the rules for the stocks for heavy varmint for score? Like the slope required and so forth? The stock is this winters project.

It was pointed out to me that the long range benchrest guys use this setup.

I have two of them.... in 17lb and 65lb

Yes, the concept "works" and as has been stated, it has it's own set of problems. I just wouldn't mix my metaphors like that in your case. IMO it's worthwhile to use a rifle as it's been designed to be used.

That said, I also have a "universal gun" which has 7 competition barrels, a tinkertoy forend (plate/rails/extension) which allows it to be legal in everything from 10lb HBR through LG and HV Group, VFS and even LG 600yd..... I FEEL ya'...... I'm just opining that you should use yours as it's been designed to be used.

Are the IBS rules and NBRSA rules the same as far as stock design is concerned?

Does the forend have to be parallel with the action or can it have a slope to it?

Are the IBS rules and NBRSA rules the same as far as stock design is concerned?

Does the forend have to be parallel with the action or can it have a slope to it?

I am not aware of any rule regarding the slope of a forend. My 6PPC has a slope in that area.

I am not aware of any rule regarding the slope of a forend. My 6PPC has a slope in that area.

BOYDMAN lets open up that rule book and see if there is any restrictions on having the forend of the stock or front bag from having any typ of concaves on it, i have also wondered what the rules are for this typ of alteration

Gabe
Are you asking Boyd to open that rule book up for his enlightenment or to actually post the rule because NBRSA short range clearly states the forearm “should” be flat or convex and not more than 3 inches wide. That’s somewhat cloudy because of the word “Should” but I’d live with the use of “must” in this rule.
IBS states the forearm “will” be flat or convex and no more than three inches wide inclusive of stock tape.
In IBS Hunter the stock “must” be convex and not more than 2.25 inches wide. I once asked at the IBS winter meeting for a definition of “convex” and was told the earth is convex.
For a while the SE Region of NBRSA had a Bob Dodd built gage for measuring that 3 inch forearm and I spent one Friday evening in Greenville, Alabama cooking the stock tape off my LV rig because it made the forearm too wide.
The rules of NBRSA clearly state the method for measuring the butt stock drop measurement. It states the drop shall be measured by the use of a rod guide and cleaning rod sticking out the rear of the action and measuring down from that rod to the bottom of the vertical drop of the butt. Kelbly built a jib for measuring that angle and Hobie Bond and referee Buddy Ross (I think) called competitors up to be tested at the Shamrock at MGGOA. I and Joe Krupa went up as called with our rifles, rod guide, and rod for the obligatory measurement. When told to place my rifle in the jig I refused (OH, I also had my rule book with me). I told them if I have to abide by the rules, so do they and that jig isn’t in the rule book. I won that argument and Joe Krupa said if Francis doesn’t use the jig, either do I. I won that that argument but referee Buddy Ross called me up for a weigh in before every match that morning. He couldn’t believe my anemic LV Metric stocked LV weighed 9 pounds 9 ounces and he was being a disgruntled and vanquished pain in the ass.

Last edited:
Boyd
That must be a Tom Meredith stock. I am not aware of any others that slope down to the rear or up to the foreword end of the forearm.

Gabe
Are you asking Boyd to open that rule book up for his enlightenment or to actually post the rule because NBRSA short range clearly states the forearm “should” be flat or convex and not more than 3 inches wide. That’s somewhat cloudy because of the word “Should” but I’d live with the use of “must” in this rule.
IBS states the forearm “will” be flat or convex and no more than three inches wide inclusive of stock tape.
In IBS Hunter the stock “must” be convex and not more than 2.25 inches wide. I once asked at the IBS winter meeting for a definition of “convex” and was told the earth is convex.
For a while the SE Region of NBRSA had a Bob Dodd built gage for measuring that 3 inch forearm and I spent one Friday evening in Greenville, Alabama cooking the stock tape off my LV rig because it made the forearm too wide.
The rules of NBRSA clearly state the method for measuring the butt stock drop measurement. It states the drop shall be measured by the use of a rod guide and cleaning rod sticking out the rear of the action and measuring down from that rod to the bottom of the vertical drop of the butt. Kelbly built a jib for measuring that angle and Howie Bond and referee Buddy Ross (I think) called competitors up to be tested at the Shamrock at MGGOA. I and Joe Krupa went up as called with our rifles, rod guide, and rod for the obligatory measurement. When told to place my rifle in the jig I refused (OH, I also had my rule book with me). I told them if I have to abide by the rules, so do they and that jig isn’t in the rule book. I won that argument and Joe Krupa said if Francis doesn’t use the jig, either do I. I won that that argument but referee Buddy Ross called me up for a weigh in before every match that morning. He couldn’t believe my anemic LV Metric stocked LV weighed 9 pounds 9 ounces and he was being a disgruntled and vanquished pain in the ass.
Francis this is for NBRSA rules only that I am asking for as I don’t shoot ibs or score in my area. I was looking at some stock designs and came across this, would this stock be legal in the nbrsa rool book?

Attachments

• 316DA72B-4777-42AE-902E-E9DBFC7E18D1.jpg
    316DA72B-4777-42AE-902E-E9DBFC7E18D1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
If you are referring to legal in NBRSA short range, I would say “no”. However, the word “should” makes it seem a bit cloudy. I would feel better if it said “shall or must”.

Back