Sticky front rest bags?

S

ShadowChaser

I've a perplexing problem. Seems this summer we're having a lot higher humidity than normal and my front rest bag, a "ProteckTor" leather bag is grabbing the gunstock and won't slide easily. In the past I've used an industrial dry teflon spray lubricant and I've tried wax but nothing seems to be working as it used to. I've heard about using baby powder which seems to be a logical choice although I've never tried it. I've also heard about dry powder based deodorant sprays but know even less about using one on a leather bag. (I'm a Old Spice stick man myself) so here are my questions:

Baby powder - pro/con?

Dry spray deodorant - pro/con?

What do you use to keep front rest bags slippery?

Thanks for your help.

Happy Shooting Y'all,
Mitch & Shadow...

A simple fix that will not leave any stains is to put a sheet of note book paper between the stock and the bag. It will stick to the bag and the stock will slide smoothly on the paper.

Baby or any powder has to be of the talcum variety, if it has a corn starch base it will make worse.

Here is a thought, maybe there is a better front rest bag to fit a Caldwell style or type of top. I have a custom designed and made top that takes this style bag and assumed the leather ProteckTor bag was ideal. This humid weather now has me wondering if there is a better bag made with synthetic materials where the stock rides or am I daydreaming?

What have you found works best?

Sticky Bag

I take used fabric softener dryer sheets and put them on my front and rear bags. The stock slides easily on these. Nothing worse than a sticky bag. :eek:

Best,
Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

Suggestions

Go to your local fabric store and get yourself some" bridal vail". Place it between the stock and bag. It is very slippery. :):):)

Silicone arisol spray.

I too have been tying to determine the best treatment of bags to get the most consistent tracking.

After a lot of trials I find that PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene, akaTeflon) Powder applied lightly to the applicable surfaces of condura bags gives the best results with consistent release and slide. PTFE has the lowest friction coeficients of any solid. PTFE also has identical static and dynamic friction coeficients which avoids the slip-stick characteristics of waxes and most spray lubricant coatings.

While inert, it is best to not inhale the powder. Of course it is best not to inhale any aerosols or powder including popular Silicone lubricants.

I buy it bulk from http://www.spurlocktools.com/id39.htm.

I had that same problem last year when my relay was right after a rainstorm and the bags had gotten wet. it was actualy picking the front feet of the rest up about 3-4 inches. got rid of my leather bags and wnet to nylon.

Sinclair sells a stock tape that you apply to both the front of stock & heel. I think it will help, along with baby powder. Works for many at the 6PPC shoots I go to/ Chaz

The best bag

Front bags have caused me lots of lost sleep, I now have one( actually 2)
that I really like. They have solved all the problems I have had so far.
The bag that Dave Dorhman sells is leather , but has a synthetic cloth
over the leather. Being leather it holds its shape but allows the gun to slide
freely. they are not even expensive

Front bags have caused me lots of lost sleep, I now have one( actually 2)
that I really like. They have solved all the problems I have had so far.
The bag that Dave Dorhman sells is leather , but has a synthetic cloth
over the leather. Being leather it holds its shape but allows the gun to slide
freely. they are not even expensive

Bob,
Thanks for that information... About the time I posted my original request for information about sticky bags, I sent Dave Dorhman an e-mail however have not had a reply as yet. I will have to make a bigger effort to contact him... His bags look like the best solution to me and I agree, the price is right...

Thanks,
Mitch & Shadow...

Baby powder - pro/con?

Most of the serious benchrest shooters at the range I attend use baby powder. Seems to work for them. Tried it myself, no problems.:eek:

Sticky bag update...

First of all, many thanks for the great ideas and advise...

So far I've been to the drugstore and bought a small shake bottle of Johnson's Baby Powder, (talc) but have not used it.

More importantly, as I have some Bounce drier sheets, I took one from the box, washed it thoroughly in some warm soapy water to get rid of the excessive coating, spread it on a paper towel in the microwave for 4 minutes on high to dry it, and then took it to the range and used it folded in half between the forend and the leather bag and wow, it works great!!! Gun slips perfectly on it, no sticky grabbing...

I've also reached Dave Dohrmann by telephone and had a great chat with him. Unfortunately Dave is selling bags faster than he can keep them in stock and I'm now waiting to hear back from Dave as to when he can sell me a set of bags, hopefully in two weeks.

I'm satisfied at this point that a set of Dave's bags with the "super frabric" lining of the saddle part of a leather bag is the ultimate solution and its my intent to get a set of Dave's front rest bags, a #2 and a #3, along with his stock tape...

Thanks for your input and help,

Happy shooting, Y'all...
Mitch & Shadow...

Back