Steady rest

If anyone else has made a request and has not received it yet please let me know via email. Not knowing who is who by name has been a bit confusing but I think I have now sent them all out.
The document contains 131 pages of what I feel to be valuable information along with several pictures.

Last edited:
I posted this several years ago on the advanced machine forum on Accurate Shooter. It is a "sticky" on top of the advanced machining forum.

Last edited:
Butch couldn't find it could you please post the link to get to it. Appears to still have allot of interest and I have already sent out seven requests. But it would be allot easier if one could just go directly to it right from here.

Last edited:
Extension

I also made extensions threaded for the actions I work on. Used old 1.250 barrels.
works fine if you are starting with a barrel long enough to fit in headstock to thread and chamber. Use the extension after you have cut the muzzle end off to crown.
not much good if your starting out with a short barrel

Attachments

• BFA1C4C9-DDF8-42A8-9238-F6481684673C.jpeg
    BFA1C4C9-DDF8-42A8-9238-F6481684673C.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 170
Right now I'm making a cat head to use instead of the chuck . It is pretty eazy to make . I'm chambering a couple old 22" Benchrest barrels for live varment gun for my son they will be 20" when finished . The cat head will be easer to use than the steady rest .

How about a Thompson Encore or Contender barrel with a welded on lug, that you need to thread muzzle end?

MYSELF, on an Encore, I'd either do it between centers or if I was worried about the crown I'd use a spider fixture. That would be one instance where a jackable chuck would be handy.

Last case scenario I'd thread between centers at the same time turning a sacrificial threaded race for the muzzle threads (or, make a thread protector) then run the steady on the turned race to face the crown. This would take some prior planning as I'd have to bore and inside thread the race piece prior to threading the barrel.

Back