"Stalking Rifles"

vtmarmot

P Magoon, Livin' Free NH
I realize that Alinwa likes to emphasize that this is primarily a benchrest site, and I appreciate most of his technical opinions. However, like many who converse on this site, and like the gun writer Terry Weiland, I am interested in just about anything that shoots.

One category of firearm that interests me greatly is the so-called “stalking rifle”. As Craig Boddington pointed out recently in “Guns and Ammo” magazine, this can be a pretty broad category. This often refers to a handy sort of rifle used when stalking red deer in the Scottish highlands.

Some day before I croak I hope to be able to stalk red deer and fallow deer in one of the many places where they live, such as Spain or Austria or Argentina. Until then, I’ll have to content myself with stalking whitetails, which is my favorite way to hunt them.

Spinal stenosis put a crimp on that this year, so while awaiting surgery, I have worked on my collection of “stalking rifles”.

As readers of this space are aware, I have been interested in an engraved mauser in 8x57 J or JS. I spotted one at a local auction site, but upon closer inspection, it had a few issues that I was not equipped to deal with. Someone got it for $650 and I wish them luck.

While at the preview, I noticed a minty Thompson Center TCR 83 Aristocrat in 7mm-08 with set triggers and gorgeous wood. A tad on the heavy side with a 26 inch barrel, it is very reminiscent of a Merkel K3 break-action. I won that auction and have mounted a Sightron 4-12x44 scope on it.

At the same preview, I spied an unmarked mauser in 6.5x54 MS (not Kurz) in great shape with a receiver sight and double-set triggers. Having another rifle in the same caliber and thus plenty of brass and dies, I bid on and won that one too.

Obviously I’m not disappointed to come away with two rifles instead of one. An engraved mauser may or may not show up in the safe someday. In the interim, I am happy to have two new (to me) rifles to load for and play with. I’ll be working up some test loads this winter and will report on them in the spring.

They join other “stalking rifles” in the safe such as a Kimber .308 with gorgeous wood (6 lbs. including a Leupold M8 4X), a Ruger No. 1 in .250 Savage, a Browning Micro-Medallion in .257 Roberts, a Winchester 1885 Low Wall in .243, a Remington Model Seven SS in .308, a Model 700 Mountain Rifle in .260 and a Steyr SBS in 6.5x54 MS.

The stenosis gets operated on Thursday, so I expect I’ll be back to stalking next fall. If any of you wonder why you’re constantly getting “hamstring pulls” get checked for spinal stenosis. It may be the cause.

HEY NOW!!!

enough with the "Alinwa' Sez" stuff hey..... cuz he doesn't "say" that at all.

When I use that terminology I use it specifically when accuracy items, methods and parameters are on the table. I use it because this is the one, the single, the ONLY site on the net that's monitored by the absolute pinnacle of rifle accuracy development.

I use it to illustrate that "accuracy" here on this site means something entirely different than on other sites.

Before they kicked my sorry argumentative butt summarily !OFF! of the other "Accuracy Site" I was in fact involved in a "stalking rifle" debacle which illustrates this. The subject was carbon fiber barrels.... the latest silliness involving lightweight platforms, ie "stalking rifles."

alinwa is interested in ALL rifles.

alinwa will happily THROW ROCKS when that's what's available.

alinwa has 40 BB guns

alinwa also builds and loves lightweight hunting rifles which shoot tiny liddle groups

but he does get into lots of trouble when discussing this because he likes to say "show me the groups!" and he happily agrees with showing his own groups for comparison.... and when he sees what most other "accurate stalking rifles" are capable of he makes statements like "arguing with you is like playing chess with a pigeon!"

so he gets in lots of trouble.......

but that don't mean he don't appreciate stalking rifles!

:)

so... THANK YOU and,

thanks for the medical advice.

BTW Magoon....... I like a lot of the calibers you've listed :)

I'll opine that the typical stalking rifle should be light, nimble and yet recoil softly enough that one can fire it comfortably and at will without a brake.

Nothing larger than 308Win then, IMO....

(I also believe that proper stalking rifles should be suppressed, which can mean larger recoil is available..... but I digress)

So.... under 308...... "the best all-round chambering for stalking"....... hmmmm?

Until recently my vote, at least for whitetails and fallows would be something right around the venerable 7X57 but lately and with modern monolithic bullets..... AND, at the risk of exciting all the fanboys...... I'll throw the new .264 uhmm... ahemm, ahemm... 6.5 .... uhhh..... the newer 6.5 "I just can't say it out loud"....... uhmm, thingie.....

thoughts?

:)

Well, didn't mean to pigeon-hole you Al, I just hoped I wasn't getting too far afield.

I think style enters into it, but a '94 Winchester could qualify as a stalking rifle if that's your style. I don't know if a .30-06 is too large, but I'll opine that a .25-06 is not. Flat shooting but not too heavy on the recoil.

A classic Mannlicher-Schoenaur quailifies in my book, especially in full-stock, as do many single-shots. To me, the 1885 Low Wall is just about right. Too bad they didn't make more of them in .260 Remington.

Ah Paul

this is a factory/Hybrid rifle forum. Looks to me you are spot on. Nice rifles you describe. If I were to ever get the hots for one it would be a MS full stock rifle in 6.5x54 fitted with a Griffin and How sidemount and 4x Hendsolt or Zeiss scope.

I know where there is a nice MS half stock rifle with sidemount but in 6mm Remington, a caliber that just does not do anything for me.

stalking rifle

I don't shoot my B.R. anymore. Got tired of the cleaning routine. So I don't get on the benchrest side anymore just here and off topic side. The older I get the lighter and shorter I like em. Partly because Im crippled and partly because I get tired of luggin a heavy rifle around. Ive got a model 7 and aT.C. encore pistol in .308 that I take more all the time loaded with light 125 gr. noslers. You shoot factory loads in it and it will shell shock ya. Got an old Win. 100 in .284 with a Lyman receiver sight I take too. Stalking rifles have been around for a while that 100 is a pre 64. Doug

Regarding stalking deer

I find the best way to hunt them is from a stand or blind. I know it can get boring, but deer senses are vastly more acute than those of a human. When we are moving through the woods no matter how careful we are they prolly will hears us and/or smell us before we know they are there. Then, I have this thing about not liking any kind of a running or trotting shot. Too much chance for wounding. I don't need deer meat that badly.

Last edited:
I've used a 243 Ack with 85 gr bullets with great success on Red Deer. They really aren't that tough. Also there are a good handful of 25-06 rifles I've built in the highlands. All in the hands of professional stalkers.

I find the best way to hunt them is from a stand or blind. I know it can get boring.

Yep....A Blind equipped with one of them little coleman heaters and a little portable-potty.:D

My friend, who regularly hunts in Africa,says that his favorite "Stalking Rifle" is a 300 Jarrett,when hunting Plains game. His trophy room is testimony to the effectiveness of the 300 Jarrett on plans game in Africa.

Glenn

I'm not a fan of running shots, and I've certainly spent a large amount of time in blinds and tree stands. However, it's a great thrill just to be creeping along and spot deer before they spot me. If it results in a shot, so much the better. Watching for bits of deer at the edge of the visible envelope, and then adjusting your movements to theirs and working to get in position for a shot. That's the best.

If I never shoot another deer, that's fine, but I would hope to spend more time in the glorious woods wondering what's over the next hill.

If I never shoot another deer, that's fine, but I would hope to spend more time in the glorious woods wondering what's over the next hill.

Every DAY you can do that is a Gift

Merry Christmas Season and may thee Chickadees land on your hat in the coming New Year :)

stalking

I didn't do it much usually hunted from a stand but before I got in that wreck, I tried it a time or two and I saw more than I thought I would. Keep your nose in the wind walk really slow. I thought it helped for the ground to be wet and hilly terrain. Doug

Heres some help

A stand is greay if you pick right crossing but a good hunter will see more game in a slow walk day in and day out

Stalking

Well…I hunt in West Texas. Low rolling hills, mostly flat with 10-12ft mesquite and fields of prickly pear cactus. The best way to hunt it is to find you a spot to sit, Preferably a baited spot and wait on the traffic.

A custom built, strategically located, elevated stand is the way to go.

If you’ve ever been bit by a Prickly pear or mesquite thorn, you understand why stalking is not the method of choice down where I hunt. It got kinda chilly in the stand yesterday morning.:(

Glenn

The main prickly thing we have up here in New England is a blackberry thicket. They are generally easy enough to avoid but in some cut over areas they take over.

I don't enjoy stepping over logging slash, which is why I don't hunt Maine any longer. Northern NH is a bit better in that respect.

I got the spinal stenosis fixed on Thursday and the recovery is pretty smooth so far with little pain. They found extra problems when they got in there, including a large cyst. All the symptoms I had before are gone completely. In two weeks I should be good as new.

Back