Sta-moly jackets

sta moly jackets

Nothing has changed except the newer MAY be a bit better .
Its still stamp the coin draw draw draw ETC trim Lube between anneal between and trim to length, wash , maybe a silicone spray, dry, count and package.
The rt is making the dies to a tight spec and getting uniform results Bullet procedure is automated i jacket come in on line core is dropped in , core is seated, point is formed
point is ejected into the bin at the bottom . all done at pretty high rate . The setup dictates the machine speed and quality is checked during operation.
The operators have to make sure all is working well and within specs.

Last edited:
sta moly jackets

all in my last post can be done on 1 machine making pistol bullets. It depends on how many stages and handling equipment,s and set up.

bullet assembly

Thanks Gerry, Its sure changed. Those were old WW2 machines I was around. A lot of operations. Bullet assembly paid more than most toolsetter jobs. It was harder to make a bullet than a case, where I worked, thanks, Doug

Randy, I saw the setup you are talking about it was interesting, I talk with him occasionally but he has side lined the jacket effort at this point. it was the same way they have been making alum. cans for about 20 yrs.. Jerry, I'm not trying to nit pick you but the plants I've been to are still using old punch presses for bullet making ie. sierra uses old bliss presses Winchester the same but can't recall mfg'er and Hornady uses turret presses nothing new there might be weidaman presses....

sta moly jackets

No worries about nit picking George
Your opinion and knowledge are alway,s welcome in site,
I've seen a few transfer presses run. it's a wonder how Sierra would still be using that old equipment and getting good results.
That may explain why they gave us a tough time buying any real quantities of their jackets. It must be a real bear keeping them in good condition.

Randy, I saw the setup you are talking about it was interesting, I talk with him occasionally but he has side lined the jacket effort at this point. it was the same way they have been making alum. cans for about 20 yrs.. Jerry, I'm not trying to nit pick you but the plants I've been to are still using old punch presses for bullet making ie. sierra uses old bliss presses Winchester the same but can't recall mfg'er and Hornady uses turret presses nothing new there might be weidaman presses....

I have been on two tours through the Hornady plant - most of their draw presses are in-line transfer type (Huge, h-type frame)! I went, with the intent of seeing if they could/would supply BR quality jackets. That wasn't going to happen - not at any reasonable price - it didn't take long to see why!:eek:

The "cups" are stamped off-line, as are the cores squirted, then, at the jacket draw/bullet finish presses, the cups are "fed" into the transfer-press stations (I believe, as many as five jacket draw steps), whereupon a core is inserted, seated, then pointed - like a progressive press, except straight-line, once each station/die is set-up, every stroke produces a finished bullet!!:cool: Presuming they can sell every bullet they can make, why would they sell a jacket at less money than a finished bullet!??

As I recall, their HP match jackets were single-point trimmed, off-line, as were the, then, not yet released v-max jackets. The employees were free to discuss and answer any questions - one of the best work environs I've visited.
RG

Last edited:
Randy, I guess you didn't ask nice enough, I have had some samples from them about 10 yrs. ago 30 cal. 1" they were some of the best jackets I have seen still have a few somewhere. as you said it was a none starter weeks on phone Mon. mornings conference calls with sales and production with the way they produce jackets and bullets at one time it was dead before it ever started.

sta moly jackets

Interesting Discussion.
George I didn't know you had contacted them before and actually received samples.
I know they make a great product.
I don't know why they would turn down a sale . They could have a dedicated press set up just for jacket sales.

I'm surprised to read that the match jackets were single point trimmed. It must have something to do with their point process.
Most jackets we get are pinch trimmed.

I guess the guys in corporate can't seem to grasp the sales potential of bullet jackets. It wouldn't hurt their sale,s on bit to shake loose with some.
Jackets aren't cheap these days, If you look at some of the prices they are , or very close to production costs of the entire bullet.
It looks like a good way for a company producing bullets to not only gain market share but also profits.

But who knows the corporate thinking these days? GREAT post both of you"""" PS By the Way Randy I think you saw a transfer press

Last edited:
Back